• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Lance

Bront

The man with the probe
Bunch of questions about a lance.

Can you use a lance while not on a horse?

If you use it on a horse, since it's considered 1 handed, you don't get 1.5 x str?

Can you attack when not charging with a lance?

any other odd tidbits about the lance beyond the double mounted charge damage?

Bront said:

Yes.

If you use it on a horse, since it's considered 1 handed, you don't get 1.5 x str?

The consensus is that it is not considered one-handed. It is, still, a two-handed weapon, with the bonus of being able to be used in one hand.

Note that one-handed weapons actually have things like different hit points and hardness, so the change is nontrivial.

Yes.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Bront said:

Yes. It's a two-handed weapon, that can be used in one hand while mounted. If you're not mounted, you can still use it in two hands.

As written in the PHB, it is not 'considered a one-handed weapon'. It's a two-handed weapon, that can be wielded in one hand. Two-handed weapons add 1.5x Str bonus to damage.

Yes, but you don't get the double damage.

any other odd tidbits about the lance beyond the double mounted charge damage?

Look up the effects of being a two-handed weapon on the Power Attack feat, and the Disarm special attack.

-Hyp.

Bront

The man with the probe
Cool. Just making sure.

Seems strange to be waving a lance around unmounted, but I guess I can see it. Obviously, there are more effective weapons out there than a lance if you're not gonna be mounted with it regularly.

I remember some confusion with AU about characters dual wielding heavy lances while on foot (Um, no).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Bront said:
I remember some confusion with AU about characters dual wielding heavy lances while on foot (Um, no).

Well, in 3E, a heavy lance was a Medium weapon (effectively a one-handed weapon), so the same trick was possible. In 3.5, they changed it to a two-handed weapon that could be wielded in one hand while mounted.

-Hyp.

werk

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Well, in 3E, a heavy lance was a Medium weapon (effectively a one-handed weapon), so the same trick was possible. In 3.5, they changed it to a two-handed weapon that could be wielded in one hand while mounted.

So...hypothetically, a mounted TWF could use two lances? (mental image)

BullMarkOne

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Look up the effects of being a two-handed weapon on the Power Attack feat, and the Disarm special attack.
-Hyp.

So, lance + power attack + charge = nice free easy +4 damage.. does this then double because of the charge?

BullMarkOne

First Post
jRocket said:
Yes. Throw Spirited Charge in there and it gets sick.

Oh Dear God! You could do that with a second level human fighter! Now I can't wait until my pc's run afoul of the local nomadic steppes riders... MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Remove ads