D&D 5E "The" Lich?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Vecna and Szass Tam are the only liches I actually even remember the names of, despite having run probably around a dozen modules that actually involved a lich over the years and me having had neither Vecna nor Szass appear or play a direct part in any adventure I've ever run.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Szass Tam does seem to fit. He does have two characteristics that do set him appart though:

1: He's probably one of the most "reasonable" lich by far.
2: He has access to immense resources, being the ruler of Thay and all that...

It's been a long time, but I don't believe so. I think he was just an ancient, legendary lich, now deceased save for his eye and hand. I don't think he ever attained demigodhood, as far as I am concerned. I.e. ignoring the newfangled "Vecna Lives!" retcon.

Vecna Lives is one of the things that made him an iconic D&D villain. He had never shown up in person before. So he was a Demigod since his first appearance in the flesh.

Szass Tam does seem to fit. He does have two characteristics that do set him appart though:

1: He's probably one of the most "reasonable" lich by far.
2: He has access to immense resources, being the ruler of Thay and all that...

Lich's being evil overlords does not really set him apart. Lots of Lich's rule their surroundings.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I'd say Larloch could be a good choice, but I don't recall any references to him in the 5e core books. Tam is far more active in the public eye and approachable (relative to Larloch).

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Not knowing a single one of these characters sadly, I give my vote to Ron Pearlman. Whoever gets the reference gets XP.

Remove ads