• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "The" Lich?

S

Sunseeker

FWIW, that Lich is by far the spookiest.

He is largely what I base any liches in my game on. There is one dormant lich in my current game (technically two, but the other is more of a spechul snowflake) which the players have encountered but not messed with *waves fingers in holy symbol on chest* they have no idea what I've got in store for them. *evil laugh* I really like the idea that some things in the world are absolutely terrifyingly beyond your ability to fight. Most D&D bad guys don't really give me that vibe.

He counts, since I can and have modeled D&D vampires after him.

Supposedly Anomander Rake is also partially modeled after him.

Neither is a D&D character they don't count. He is not iconic at all. I can't even look the guy up so as far as I know he does not exist and he is an original character you made up.

I don't know who Rake is ether.

Also your canon is has nothing to do with iconics. Strahd is the D&D Vampire because he is the iconic vampire of D&D. Discounting D&D your guy is still not the iconic vampire that is Dracula.

I don't know who you are talking about. But I don't think he is a D&D vampire, so he does not count for this.
It's a crowded field, but out of all the attempts to "improve" upon Gothic literature by mashing it up, I believe @Hemlock is referring to Fred Saberhagen's.

(For the record, the only vampire the real Sherlock Holmes ever meets is Ayda Heidari.)

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

What's the world of storytelling come to when "iconic" means "invented by Wizards of the Coast or TSR"?

Ristamar

Adventurer
What's the world of storytelling come to when "iconic" means "invented by Wizards of the Coast or TSR"?

Unless I completely misunderstood the intent of the OP, storytelling has little to do with the original topic which is referencing "iconic" relative to official D&D products. This discussion wasn't supposed to be about naming your favorite fantasy undead wizard from pop culture or your homebrew game.

Last edited:

Remove ads