The Lightbringers' Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - updated 12/19

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I know I'm not done with Session 6 yet but Session 7 went off tonight. I've gotta say, I'm proud of how some things turned out. Some great mood was harvested during one scene, and I completely improvised a big chunk of the story that fed into the overall plot quite nicely. By the end everyone was a yawnin' dope, myself included, but the first three hours were pretty good.

Remind me later to break down just how I had the atmosphere going for (that one scene). I've never had this kind of control over a room's atmosphere and I went all out with music, lighting, accents, props, dramatics, etc... it really paid off in the mood of the scene.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Note: Thendrick was improperly credited with line of the week for Session 6 ("maybe we shouldn't put it that way"). It was really Toufghar who busted out the funny. It's been corrected.

It's also come to our attention that for whatever reason, we were wrong- Reincarnation requires a body that's been dead for no less than a week, not 48 hours as we thought. We're not sure how that belief got started among us. That'll be edited out as well.

Hey, anyone reading? Responses are rather sparse. Sound off!

Gold Roger

First Post
Reading and greatly enjoying myself. Two questions:

-How much do you alter the adventure. From your campaign it looks like great fun. I will start a new campaign this week. And Expedition to Castle Ravenloft seems perfect fit for the theme (being being Eberron with a gothic flavor). Am I justified in judging its quality by your storyhour?

-You started out with Gestalt characters, as far as I remember from CM, because you had only two players. You now seem to have five players. Are all characters gestalt? Or have the other two been converted to normal rules? What classes does everyone have?

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Ooh, questions!

Gold Roger said:
How much do you alter the adventure. From your campaign it looks like great fun. I will start a new campaign this week. And Expedition to Castle Ravenloft seems perfect fit for the theme (being being Eberron with a gothic flavor). Am I justified in judging its quality by your storyhour?
Thanks. I've got some problems with the module and I've altered it a bit. My biggest complaint is that (and I'm not spoiling much, but I'll block it anyway)
Strahd's "secondary goals" are pretty weak. The module points out that Strahd is a genius with a motive and careful reasoning behind everything he does, but the goals given for use are simple and lack the scope and planning that a genius would involve, in my opinion. I changed things to allow for a Strahd with multiple shadowy motives and a use for the party- so that he wouldn't just stamp them out from the start, as a genius might. His using a party to destroy his rivals (as in the goal Brook No Rival) AND destroy the things that make him vulnerable make more sense to me. Mayyyybe there are further goals to his actions that we haven't seen yet, who knows.

I recommend going this route- changing or coming up with your own secondary motives.

Gold Roger said:
You started out with Gestalt characters, as far as I remember from CM, because you had only two players. You now seem to have five players. Are all characters gestalt? Or have the other two been converted to normal rules? What classes does everyone have?
Well, that's tricky- I'm not the best with game balance, but we've been doing pretty well so far with the new characters coming in at 8th level and the original gestalt characters holding at 7 for a while.

Gold Roger

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
Thanks. I've got some problems with the module and I've altered it a bit. My biggest complaint is that (and I'm not spoiling much, but I'll block it anyway)
Strahd's "secondary goals" are pretty weak. The module points out that Strahd is a genius with a motive and careful reasoning behind everything he does, but the goals given for use are simple and lack the scope and planning that a genius would involve, in my opinion. I changed things to allow for a Strahd with multiple shadowy motives and a use for the party- so that he wouldn't just stamp them out from the start, as a genius might. His using a party to destroy his rivals (as in the goal Brook No Rival) AND destroy the things that make him vulnerable make more sense to me. Mayyyybe there are further goals to his actions that we haven't seen yet, who knows.

I recommend going this route- changing or coming up with your own secondary motives.

[sblock]That shouldn't be a problem for me. I'm aiming for a very pulpy and not very realistic villain. My Strahd will be more Dr Evil than an actual genius anyway.[/sblock]

Dr Midnight said:
Well, that's tricky- I'm not the best with game balance, but we've been doing pretty well so far with the new characters coming in at 8th level and the original gestalt characters holding at 7 for a while.

So it's a mixed party right now? Surely sounds like an interesting experiment.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 6 - Chapter 4
IREENA

The group approached the burgomaster’s mansion at the south end of town. The house was aged and dilapidated and behind a rusting iron fence. The gates had been twisted open; one lay torn from its hinges, while the other swung crazily in the wind, screeching and clanging with mindless repetition. The house beyond was marked by claws, fires, and ominous stains. Every window was boarded, every door barricaded.

They walked to the main door and knocked politely. No one answered. “Looks like this house has been more harried than the others,” Toufghar observed. “It’s not just zombies been bangin’ on this door.” His fingers traced some deep clawmarks in the wood.

Out of the corner of her eyes Ashlyn caught movement. Someone had parted the curtain and peered through the window, between the boards. She knocked again. “Hello… are you Ireena? Can we speak with you for a moment?”

A muffled woman’s voice from inside said “Where are the walking dead?”

“They’re gone. The zombies are all gone.”

The door opened slightly. A nervous eye peered out and surveyed the area. “Who are you?”

“We are the Lightbringers,” Ashlyn said graciously. “We’ve destroyed the plague on Barovia, and have come to ask you about something your father had.”

“Father’s dead.” It wasn’t so much the passing of information as it was something the woman acknowledging to herself. “I’m Ireena. Come in.”

The well-furnished mansion showed considerable wear, though the holy symbols hung in every room of the house drew attention from the soiled divans and ratty carpets. A man’s body in burgomaster’s robes lay in state in the front room. The smell of decomposition was cloying. The woman had clearly attended to her father’s corpse with care, but it had been a fortnight since he’d passed and the body was quickly giving in to the more graceless aspects of death.

Almost as jarring was the appearance of the woman herself. She was young, no older than eighteen, but as haunted as any veteran the group had ever seen. Her eyes looked exhausted and wide, her hair was lank, and her cheeks were hollow. Through the strain of the past troubles, though, it could be seen that she had very fair features. An oil painting hung over the fireplace and it depicted her in a happier time with bright eyes and the hint of a smile.

Arianna cleared her throat and attempted to ignore the smell of the decaying burgomaster. “We’ve come because we heard your father was the last man to stand up to Strahd Von Zarovich. We want to know how he did it.”

Ireena’s eyes looked to the corpse. “The master of the castle punished my father for standing against his commands. My father held him off with the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, until he paid with his life. He was poisoned! It had to be Strahd. That devil. That black fiend.”

“So you don’t know how he was poisoned, or by whom?”

“No. I woke up and he was dead and there were no marks on him and then the zombies started and now the zombies are gone but he’s still d...” She covered her mouth, seemingly out of shame that she might run on like that forever.

“Take it easy,” Ashlyn said soothingly. “It’s all over now and we’re going to help. Can you tell us where the Symbol of Ravenkind is now?”

Ireena shook her head. “I no longer have it. I couldn’t make it work and nor could my brother Ismark, though it was still precious to me. Some nights ago something evil slipped in and stole it in the dead of night.”

“Who might have taken it, do you know?”

“The thief could have been a servant of Strahd, but if so, I don’t know which one. It could have been something else entirely. Evil of every sort has begun to collect in the woods around Barovia. The Holy Symbol of Ravenkind could be anywhere… Strahd’s reach is long, and if he had it stolen, he likely wants it as far from the castle as possible. Maybe the wise woman knows.”

Thendrick said “You mean Madam Eva.”

Ireena nodded. “Yes, you have seen her?”

“No, but she’s apparently very popular in these parts.”

Ireena looked at them and seemed to come on an idea. “Are… are you going after Strahd? Up to the castle, I mean.”

The heroes traded doubtful looks. “At this point we don’t know what we’re going to be doing,” Ashlyn said diplomatically. “We’re just gathering information.” Ireena nodded again and looked as though she might say something further. She kept quiet. Ashlyn decided not to push the issue. “You’ve been most helpful, Ireena. Would you permit us to carry your father to the graveyard, that he might have a decent burial?”

The girl’s eyes welled up with tears. “Yes. Yes, please. That would be very kind.”

Thendrick, Toufghar, Arianna and Ashlyn walked from the burgomaster’s house carrying him on a litter. Ireena walked behind. They passed villagers on the streets collecting their dead, and each of the townsfolk noted the procession, stood up straight and bowed their head out of respect for a good man who’d died too soon.

They buried him in the family plot at the Church of Bellethanne, beside his wife. Ashlyn performed the service. The group left Ireena at the grave to mourn her father in peace.

Next Session
SPOKESMAN

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Now that we've finally got five players, it's time for one of those "dramatis personae" sections. I went by ear on this one with what I've got- if any of you players out there want to correct / add anything, let me know.

Human Paladin 8
ASHLYN
Ashlyn appears to be a pretty woman with perfectly hammered full plate armor emblazoned with the crest of the god Urso. Her strong features and poise are betrayed somewhat by her penchant for wearing her hair in braided pigtails, but none can doubt her leadership ability and dedication. Being the most capable, she is the unofficial leader of the Lightbringers.

Ashlyn is, in fact, a troglodyte. This is due to a common reincarnation side effect. She wears a hat of disguise to assume her old appearance, so that you’d never know she was actually a lizard creature unless you’re in the room with her when she’s frightened or excited… and she expels a sickening musk against her will. It’s an embarrassing problem and she’s working with it.

Human Sorcerer 8
THE AMAZING THENDRICK
Thendrick is an at ease gentleman who usually appears to be on the verge of laughter. His practiced, yet infectious smile comes easily and often. He seems to be in his early thirties, yet his neatly combed hair is entirely white as snow. His delicate and attractive facial features are accentuated by the pointy goatee that he wears groomed tight and neat. Thendrick's clothes are all of black and gray, except for a variety of bright, solid-colored silk vests which he frequently wears, two of his favorites are the burgandy and the turquoise. His lightweight, flowing black cloak sports an ornately embroidered hem of silver thread and is immaculate despite the dirt and dust all around.

Thendrick's father was a performing magician and entertainer. Though Thendrick himself developed genuine magical skill as he aged, he pays homage to his father (and lives out his schoolboy dream) as a stage magician in between adventures.

Half-Orc Barbarian 8
SLOTH TOUFGHAR
Toufghar wears hide armor composed almost entirely of the grisly remains of foes he’s defeated. Most of it is made up of faces. He carries an enormous greataxe of frost that was forged (by his specifications) to resemble a giant meat cleaver. Despite his ghastly grin and zeal for the darker things adventuring has to offer, he’s not a bad fellow by any account. He’s just… gruesome.

Gestalt Halfling Monk / Cleric of Vennia 7
GERRIT APPLECATCHER
In the service of Vennia, Goddess of Growing, is a young monk named Gerrit. He was an orphan at the Monastic Garden Enclave and had to frequently deal with bullies. On one day he rebuffed his attackers, who were hurling apples at him, by catching and deflecting them. In this way did he both mark his path on the way to becoming an able fighter and earn his surname.

With his boots of striding and springing and his tumbling skill he makes a tremendously tough target to hit, as well as being able to get and travel almost anywhere. Gerrit can come up with clever uses for common items to overcome the odds. A fine example of this would be the time he defeated an entire pirate ship using two bottles of cod oil. No, really.

Gestalt Elf Druid / Ranger 7
ARIANNA
Arianna was another young orphan at the Monastic Garden Enclave. She didn’t take to the religion or eastern fighting styles, but she did learn to love nature and embraced the art of walking amidst trees in peace. This led to a vocation in exploring and defending wooded areas, in which she excelled. She befriended Gerrit Applecatcher at the Enclave and the two have been adventuring since going out on their own from the orphanage in Ortil.

Recently she has been informed of her ancestry by a Count Strahd Von Zarovich of Barovia.

Arianna is always accompanied by her obedient black panther Jade.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 7 - Chapter 1
SPOKESMEN

In the morning, Gerrit was reincarnated. The sheet was placed over him and as it deflated, Arianna held her breath. The sheet rose back up in a familiar shape. When it was pulled back, it was the old Gerrit… a halfling.

He blinked. “I’m… back?”

“You’re back. Good to see you.”

He sat up and rubbed his neck. “I feel like I haven’t slept in a week.”

“You were a tough case, my friend.” She folded the sheet and put it away, then helped him to his feet. “You actually became a zombie just before we destroyed Doru. Not an easy one to bring back.”

“You did a great job.”

“Yeah, it’s a miracle you even came back male.” While Gerrit’s mind reeled from the implications, she smiled and finished putting away her magical trappings.

Toufghar burst into the room. “Hey, look!”

Thendrick was following close behind, looking sheepish. “I’m sorry, he gets like this every time there’s an impressive new kill to strip.”

Arianna looked at the half-orc and was about to ask what he meant when she gasped in disgust. Toufghar was proudly showing off the clawed hands of Doru the blaspheme, sewn into his armor at the shoulders so that the fingertips hung down over his upper arms. He grinned. “Nice, huh? The face was cut in half so it wouldn’t really do. Besides, this looks so much more fearsome.”

Ashlyn was horrorstruck. “Touf, the claws are still caked with gore. Our dried blood.”

“I know! It’s so perfect. It’ll be a shame the first time it rains, because that’ll wash away quickly.”

“Well,” Gerrit said at last. “Glad I came back.”

l_8cb59b0bf1f8084d97818e3453a2be0b.jpg

The group wanted to set out for the gypsy encampment along the edge of the Tser Pool to find Madam Eva, but Arianna had reconsidered Bildrath’s offer for the scroll of reincarnate. She missed Jade terribly.

Arianna made the trip alone and found herself at Bildrath’s Mercantile once more. “Well hello!” he called as she walked in. “Done with shopping around for a better price, are you?”

“Um. Yes,” she said politely. “Do you still have it?”

“Of course. Now… let’s talk price.”

She hadn’t expected that. She paused for a moment and collected herself. “I believe you quoted the price yesterday as being three thousand gold pieces.”

Bildrath shook his head with a smile. His neck fat jiggled visibly. “No no no no. I said I could get that much from the wealthier families in the area. You’re wealthier still… an adventurer.”

“You’ve got a mistaken impression of how an adventurer lives, sir…”

“No, I really don’t. Every now and then some hero comes through town on the way to the castle to do what the hundred or so before him couldn’t. They’re all rich with no concept of savings. I’m sorry, but I can see that magical weapon slung over your back. You’re not poor. You can afford this.”

The smug smile he gave her made her want to take the weapon out and show him how it was properly used. “I’m afraid I’ve only got three thousand two hundred gold pieces on me at the moment.”

“That’s fine, we’ll do that and trade. What about that panther I saw you with before? That’d fetch a fine price.”

Arianna bristled. “Surely there’s another way for us to work something out.”

“No, I’m-“ he stopped and thought for a second. “You know… I just had a thought. Bring your friend here, the white-haired fellow.”

Arianna stormed out, using the walk to steady her nerves and calm down. When she returned with a confused Thendrick, she was almost done cursing.

Bildrath greeted Thendrick warmly. “Hello my friend. How are you today? Are you interested in helping Arianna here make a great deal?”

“Ahh… I think so.”

“She wants a scroll but can’t pay for it. I propose that I give it to her for two thousand five hundred gold pieces and you do a service for me.”

“Okay. What’s the service?”

Bildrath smiled his wormy smile. “You seem to be rather charismatic… you have a way with words. I notice the slight figure and robes, as well. You’re a wizard, yes?”

“Well, technically I’m a sorcerer, but…”

“Over the course of this zombie infestation, I did what I had to do. I charged money for supplies. Some would say this makes me a bad man. Some would say it makes me a tragedy profiteer. I’m not too popular in town right now and need to do some P.R., so here’s the deal: later today, you do a show out in the town square.”

Thendrick brightened immediately. “Oh I can certainly do that, I’m trained in stage magic you know. Why, my father made it his profession.”

“Great, great. Okay. You come out, do some flash and dazzle, say a few words about the shop and I’ll give her the scroll for a steal. Sound good?”

“Yes, that sounds fine.”

“Fantastic! Now we’re networking, this is beautiful. What’s your party name, I’ll work it in with the tagline ‘the newest group to go up against Strahd’ or something.”

Arianna immediately recalled what Strahd had told her about bringing the public faith around to his side. “Uh…” she began.

“Splendid,” Thendrick replied. “I think we have a deal.”

“Great,” Bildrath said. “Work up a routine. Be back here at noon.”

At noon, a low stage had been erected before Bildrath’s Mercantile. Children paid in pennies had been all over town for hours, crying out the news of a show at Bildrath’s. There weren’t many people in attendance, but that was mostly because the zombie plague had killed so many. The crowd in the town square actually represented a good portion of the survivors.

“Almost showtime,” Thendrick said. “Can you believe he gave me a script to read at the end? Wish me luck!” He began to walk off.

Arianna grabbed his sleeve. “Try to get him to leave out the part about Strahd.”

“Oh Arianna, he just meant that he’d introduce me as someone going up against Strahd. It doesn’t have to be true… ninety percent of performance is illusion. Besides, how would this get back to him? He’s just an old man, right?”

“I… I don’t know.”

“What are you saying?”

Arianna looked around and spoke low. “I’m saying I’m having serious doubts that he is what he says he is. It would be wisest to keep from broadcasting any intent one way or the other.”

Some light applause interrupted the elf and she and Thendrick looked to the stage. Bildrath was stepping to the front. “Friends and fellow Barovians,” Bildrath said in a somber voice. “Over the last week and more we have been under assault. Terrible undead have trod through our fair town and taken from us our brothers, sisters, fathers and sons. We have come through a tragedy only to see dark days as we bury our own dead through rheumy eyes. We must never forget what happened, and always honor the fallen.

“All the same, we must remember that our departed loved ones would not want us to live in blackest grief.” He turned his face to the sky and looked very sad. “We must pick up the pieces and begin to laugh again… to enjoy what we have left of the life we live. It is in this spirit now that I pledge to bring to you a moment’s respite… some entertainment.”

Bildrath grinned benevolently. “Barovia! From the Lightbringers, the newest and greatest party to go up against that monster in the castle, Strahd Von Zarovich, I give you: The Amazing Thendrick!!

Thendrick bounded on stage and waved to the crowd. The applause was halfhearted but the showman in him knew to press on with confidence. “Greetings! Hey, who here would like to see a little tumbling? Maybe some magic? Well okay then! I’d like to present my esteemed assistant. All the way from Ortil on the mainland! Please say hello to… Gerrit Applecatcher!” The halfling cartwheeled up the stairs to the stage, bounding up into a double-flip and landing in a kneeling pose with his palms out to the crowd. The crowd’s cheering got a little louder.

“Hey Gerrit,” Thendrick said. “I think they liked that. I think they’d like to see a little more, what do you think?” Gerrit held his hand to his ear and the audience clapped for more. Thendrick laughed. “Come on, I think you can do better than that. Let him hear you!” The crowd applauded loudly, some people shouting.

Gerrit began flipping around the stage. Side-flips, full on backflips, daring leaps ending in somersaults, getting faster and faster. The applause built as he went. He wrapped everything up by bounding off of the building at the back of the stage and going into a high vertical jump. He flipped five times, landing neatly in a dismount position. The audience loved it.

Thendrick said “Wonderful! Gerrit Applecatcher, everyone! And now, Gerrit, if you’ll bring my chest of secrets to the front, we can move on with the show.” Gerrit pushed a large footlocker to the fore of the stage, then stepped back.

Thendrick began moving his hands in wide arcs. The chest opened slowly and the people ooh’d and ahh’d. A glowing symbol began rising from the chest. It was the holy symbol of Bellethanne. Since the terrible downfall of the church was discovered the day before, the people had been despairing. Seeing the symbol of Bellethanne lit up and levitating was a way to play to their hopes. It was a cheap way, Thendrick acknowledged to himself as he moved it to a pedestal to sit, but it worked.

The next trick involved an archery target. Gerrit stood ten feet to its left, and Thendrick was loading his crossbow with a clip of bolts. “Ladies and gentlemen, this is an ordinary repeating crossbow. I can assure you, it is quite real… no trickery here. Watch, now, as I shoot a bullseye…” He aimed at the target. “By shooting at my assistant!” He quickly switched his aim to Gerrit and fired. The crowd gasped. Gerrit slapped at the bolt and it flew off, striking the target on its upper portions. The audience cheered as Thendrick emptied the clip at Gerrit, who struck every bolt from the air and into the target.

Thendrick cast a spell in the air over himself and the halfling. “Hmm… no bullseye yet. Watch, now, as we do the same trick… twice as fast!” He pulled the trigger rapidly and Gerrit cracked at them with both hands. With the last bolt, Gerrit spun a full turn around and backhanded it right into the center of the bullseye. The crowd went wild.

“Thank you! Thank you, everyone! And remember…” Thendrick pulled out his script. “…that whether it’s rope or steel, bowstrings or barrelstaves, you can find everything you’re shopping for at Bilbrath’s Mercantile! Yes, that’s Bilbrath’s Mercantile, on the corner of Diril and Main. Our prices are simply… amazing.” He and Gerrit bowed and left the stage.

Bildrath let Arianna have the scroll for two thousand five hundred gold pieces despite Thendrick’s mispronunciation of his name on stage. Business was booming at Bildrath’s Mercantile and he was too busy ringing up orders to have a care for the sorcerer’s error.

The group eagerly took the scroll to a secluded area and used it. Within moments, they were staring blank-faced at Jade, who was blinking back at them. “Well. Um,” Thendrick began, trying to put a positive spin on the entire embarrassing event and its result. “At least we entertained the people, huh?”

Arianna shook her head. “Shut up, Thendrick.”

Jade had returned as a giant crocodile.

Coming up
THE READING

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 7 - Chapter 2
THE READING

The Lightbringers walked west on the road out of Barovia.

Jade, in her new form as a giant crocodile, was having trouble keeping up. She was twenty feet long from nose to tailtip and fearsomely large but her stubby little legs were far inferior to the lithe panther’s limbs she’d run with before. She plodded along as quickly as she could manage and the group held back a bit for her sake. Arianna reached down and patted her scaly head. This would take some getting used to.

Thendrick had joked “Maybe we should kill her and try again.” He laughed as Ashlyn punched him in the arm. “Kidding! I was just kidding. Ha ha… ow.”

The road crossed a small, well-kept bridge over the Ivlis River and then wound to the south, just beginning to skirt the edge of the Svalich Woods. As they walked Gerrit and Arianna looked past the coniferous trees into the darkness beyond, recalling the feeling of that first night on the road. It made their skins crawl just to be this close to the black forest again. Gerrit could almost hear the distant howling of those immense wolves.

The road curved back around to the north, then west again, then forked. Here, an old wooden gallows creaked in a chill wind blowing down from the high ground to the west. A frayed length of rope danced from its beam. The well-worn road split here, and a signpost opposite the gallows pointed off in two directions: “Tser Pool” to the north and “Castle Ravenloft” to the west. Across from the gallows, a low wall, crumbling in places, partially enclosed a small plot of graves- presumably housing those who died at the end of that rope.

Toufghar pointed north. “The Tser Pool is where the gypsy encampment is. Let’s go.”

Ashlyn stepped past the rock wall into the graveyard. “Hold on. I want to look at some of these.” The plot was horribly maintained- dead leaves and broken branches littered the ground between the ancient headstones.

She leaned forward to try to read one of the names on a headstone. The letters were so weather-worn that the name and date were almost smudges in the surface of the stone. “The cemetery at the church of Bellethanne was at least well-kept. This one shows no respect for the dead. It’s a shame.” She sighed.

Shapes were moving on the ground. Wispy darkness, like shadow-smoke, was rising slowly and swirling from beneath the leaves over each grave. Ashlyn backed away and the others nervously looked about. “There’s one over by the gallows, too,” Thendrick noted. The blackness was beginning to form into vaguely humanoid shapes.

“This is never good,” Ashlyn said. “What do we do?”

Gerrit looked at the things that were forming in the mist. “Let’s do this the easy way: we run.”

They ran.

The road to the Tser Pool encampment ran north along the Ivlis River. To the west and north, the mountains seemed to close in and the darkening early evening sky cast them in a gloomy light. The group was heading into a niche made by the river as it ran down the mountainside. Castle Ravenloft sat silhouetted against the clouds to the north.

The canopy of mist and branches overhead suddenly gave way to open sky- though the sky was dark with clouds. A circle of colorful wagons and a scattering of tents were ranged around a dancing bonfire, and a handful of men and women in colorful garb sat quietly near the wagons. Beyond the camp, a small lake reflected the angry sky overhead.

Ashlyn stopped the group, not sure of what to make of the group of gypsies and how they might be greeted. The Lightbringers were certainly outnumbered… by three to one, she quickly judged.

A man at the bonfire looked up and saw the group, then nodded. All heads turned to the adventuring party. One by one, they pointed to the rear of the camp, to a large burgundy tent that the cheer of the firelight didn’t touch. Ashlyn nodded back politely and led the uneasy group through the silent gypsies to the tent. “So they have been expecting us.”

As Ashlyn reached the tent, a cracked old woman’s voice said “Come in, come in.”

They walked inside. The old woman before them hunched over a small, linen-draped table. Her black eyes gleamed as she shuffled a deck of weathered cards. Her hands were bony and spotted with age. When she spoke, her voice crackled like dry weeds. “Ahhh, the new heroes. I am Madam Eva.”

Ashlyn cleared her throat. “Well met. We are the Lightbringers. We’ve come to ask you about-“

“Strahd,” Eva smiled.

Arianna said “Not exactly. We’re curious about him, but mostly we’ve come to ask about the locations of a few artifacts.”

Eva shook her head. “No. Strahd. It is the master of the castle that most weighs upon your minds… you especially, Arianna. Who is he, what are his intentions? Madam Eva can tell you. Do not worry that he might be listening. For the first time since your arrival, he is not.”

“What?” Gerrit stammered. “Watching? Has he been watching us all this time?”

“Of course. You are but fish in a bowl to the master.”

Arianna asked “How? How can he possibly be watching us?”

“Let us think. Did you, my dear elf, happen to give him anything?”

“No! He said he’d sign me into the will and give me his inheritance, but I never gave him any…”

Eva shook her head. “You gave him your blood. Three crimson drops. Surely you thought it odd at the time, yes?” Arianna’s eyes went wide and understanding crashed in, followed by queasy horror.

The gypsy woman smiled. “He uses it to watch you, scrying whenever he wishes… though not now.”

Ashlyn said “Can you tell us about the Tome of Strahd?”

Madam Eva cackled and laid out a single card. It showed a man weeping at a grave. Below him, in large letters, was written

[SBLOCK]
GUILT​
[/SBLOCK]

“Cut the deck.” She handed the deck to Ashlyn, who cut it and handed it back. Eva laid out one card beneath the GUILT card and then another, overlapping it horizontally. She stared at the cards and was silent for thirty full seconds. Thendrick was just about to ask her if she felt all right when she spoke. “The tome you seek holds knowledge of the ancient and knowledge of the land. If you find it and delve into its secrets, you will discover the source of the lord’s strength. If you read it carefully, you may also discover how to rob him of that strength. But you knew that already.” Her eyes glittered in the lamplight.

“You want to know where to find it. Heh heh… you will seek the tome where the moon is hidden but most powerfully felt. Fear the night, and the moon, and most of all its children.” She looked up and smiled with one crooked tooth.

“The moon’s children?” Toufghar asked.

“Danovich was right,” Arianna said. “You do speak in riddles.”

Gerrit said “The moon could be hidden just about anywhere- underground, in a building… but I’m betting it’s in the forest, where the ‘moon’s children’ live.” He looked grimly to Arianna. “I think we’ve got to go among the wolves.”

Ashlyn shivered. “Tell us about the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.” Eva chuckled and laid out another card.

[SBLOCK]
THE TALISMAN​
[/SBLOCK]

“Cut the deck.” Ashlyn did, and the old gypsy placed two more cards on the table. “Thissss…” She seemed to think for a time with her eyes closed. Finally she opened them. “This symbol is a powerful force for good and protection against the forces of darkness. Seek it in the place of blasphemy, where humans plumb their darkest nature.”

“The holiness in this item waits for hands of holiness to touch it once more, but that is not enough to bring its power back to life. Oh no. You must bring the symbol to the place of its antithesis, beneath the master’s own roof, where hellish magic is made. This will not be easy. I do recommend beginning with the book.” She laughed aloud, rocking back in her chair. The sound was like rocks shifting together in a wicker basket.

Arianna said “Tell us about Strahd himself.”

“Ah. The one thing you truly are curious about. Why, Arianna, do you wait so long to ask? Such a shy girl.”

[SBLOCK]
THE DEVIL​
[/SBLOCK]

She laid the card on the table and seemed to relish the frightened hush that came over the Lightbringers. “Cut the deck my dear.” She watched as Arianna wiped her brow and cut the deck, then handed it back with a slightly trembling hand.

Madam Eva grinned at her and spoke. “He who dwells in Castle Ravenloft is a powerful man whose enemy is light and whose powers are beyond mortality. You will seek him in the castle, and though he might find you many times, you will find him only once… among his riches, hidden away from sight.”

“Out of darkness and chaos, the cards find their reason and foundation. They show the purpose of all things- the key to life and death and else beyond. Every piece moves with a purpose, and none but the master can know the objective of the game. No piece on the board, however, is as important as the queen… who is but one move away from her king.”

Arianna stood up. “I believe I’m going to step outside for a minute.”

“Are you all right?” Gerrit asked. “We can stop if you like.”

“That’s okay, you guys go on. I just want to get some air.” The Lightbringers watched as the elf walked from the tent.

“She is troubled,” Madam Eva hissed with a smile. “She now knows that the lord of the castle has seen her doubting his intent, and has watched as she hunted for his motives. She fears him. Rightly. She will soon learn that when you speak of the devil… the devil appears.”

Outside, Arianna took a full breath of the night air and tried to rub some of the coldness from her arms. She stopped as she noticed that the jubilation of the gypsy people was gone and a hush now hung over the camp. Only the crackling of the bonfire remained. None of the people were out here. The campsite seemed deserted, save for one tall figure standing by the fire.

“Hello, Arianna. I think we should have a talk.” Strahd smiled at her and his eyes shone red with the reflection of the flames.

Coming up
THE MOON’S CHILDREN

Remove ads