The Lion's 2nd Face[Covaithe judging]

Heckler

First Post
(Yeah, I'll toss my Sense Motive in from now on, I may be no Rinaldo, but who is (apart from Rinaldo)? :p
For good measure, my Knowledge (the planes) +14, and regarding the efreeti's bond, my Knowledge (arcana) +18.

I presume the path to continue is not readily apparent to Ashnar?)
[sblock=KO] KN(Planes): An Efreeti has many magical abilities, many of which are fire-based.

KN(Arc): Efreeti, and other Genie-type creatures, are often bound as guardians. They dislike such servitude and often seek ways to distort or leave their assignments. Being outsiders, if killed here they reform on their respective elemental plane (or whatever passes for such in LEW) and return to the place they were bound to. The magics required in such a binding require some sort of a focus, often gems. It is very likely that the ruby figurine he is asking for is somehow part of the ritual binding him here.

Kn(Planes)=24, Kn(Arc)=38[/sblock]
The path to continue is not visible. The room is empty, the only entrance/exit being the one you just came through.

"But you are aware if you fight us, you will expend some of our resources, assuming we win without getting killed, and that will inder us if we agree with the deal. So, what prevent you to let us go if we conclude the deal with you?" asks Rinaldo

"If I understand you question correctly, you're asking what would prevent me from killing you after our deal is finished? Only a century of serving as a glorified watchdog, all because a certain Emir was afraid I was undermining his attempts to gian power in the Royal Courts! I have brooded a long time on what I might do if I were released. None of it concerns you or your kind.I desire vengance only against my own kind.

I view you as tools, you may be useful. Only a fool would destroy that which is useful. As a matter of fact, I may have something else for you to do later on, once this business is finished."

[sblock=Velmont]I did have a little trouble understand what you were asking, especially the last line. Let me know if IO didn't answer what you wanted.

He's getting very excited at the idea of getting free, and he seems believable.[/sblock]

[sblock=KO]He's getting excited, and it seems like he's probably telling the truth.[/sblock]

SlagMortar

First Post
"Not exactly. We mean, if you want us to succeed in retrieving this ruby figurine, it would be best to just let us pass rather than make us defeat you first," fills in Planus.

Velmont

First Post
"My friend is right. What I want to know is what bound you to stop our way. What order you to fight us when we could pass unharmed, and thus, more able to fulfill the deal if we accept it." asks Rinaldo

Knight Otu

First Post
"Well, if we have to fight him at his full power anyway, I'm not so certain whether he has enough to offer, long-term or short-term, to be worth the added risk."

Of course, a wish would be what Rinaldo needs, but from an efreeti?

[sblock=Heckler]
I have my suspicions on how this may or may not be planned out, especially with the Knowledge tidbit, but I think part of what Velmont was getting at is that called outsiders actually die when killed, and summoned outsiders reform after 24 hours, and summoned creatures refuse to use spells or spell-like abilities that cost/would cost XP to cast. As such, the player is a bit skeptical, but the character hopes to nudge towards a better deal. ;)
[/sblock]

Heckler

First Post
"My friend is right. What I want to know is what bound you to stop our way. What order you to fight us when we could pass unharmed, and thus, more able to fulfill the deal if we accept it." asks Rinaldo
"If I could let people come and go as I wish, then what's the point of having me here at all? This is a punishment for me, dictated by the Great Pasha himself."

[sblock=Heckler]
I have my suspicions on how this may or may not be planned out, especially with the Knowledge tidbit, but I think part of what Velmont was getting at is that called outsiders actually die when killed, and summoned outsiders reform after 24 hours, and summoned creatures refuse to use spells or spell-like abilities that cost/would cost XP to cast. As such, the player is a bit skeptical, but the character hopes to nudge towards a better deal. ;)
[/sblock]
[sblock=KO]I'm just playing the hand I've been dealt :shrug:. I don't do a lot with summoning so I wasn't aware of the differences. I think in 2E outsiders always reformed and that's what I'm thinking of. That might be what the original DM was thinking , also.[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
"But what the Great Pasha order you to do? Are you bound to the words he told you or to the spirits of the words? Because you know, we can tell a lot of things to the words." tells Rinaldo

SlagMortar

First Post
Planus nods at Rinaldo. Exactly. For example, you mentioned you had to stop us because we did not provide the correct greeting. Well, you must know what it is or you couldn't recognize it when it was given to and so you could simply tells us the right greeting. Then we could leave and come back and provide you the correct greeting and be on our way without the stabbing and explosions, Planus helpfully adds in.

Knight Otu

First Post
"If I could let people come and go as I wish, then what's the point of having me here at all? This is a punishment for me, dictated by the Great Pasha himself."

[sblock=KO]I'm just playing the hand I've been dealt :shrug:. I don't do a lot with summoning so I wasn't aware of the differences. I think in 2E outsiders always reformed and that's what I'm thinking of. That might be what the original DM was thinking , also.[/sblock]

[sblock=Ignan]"Well, you're apparently not required to fight to the best of your ability - otherwise you wouldn't be able to speak to us after we failed to provide the 'proper greeting', and allowing us to learn about you."[/sblock]

[sblock=Heckler]No need to reveal anything like that - take it and make it an adventure hook instead (as already happened, in a way). :p Anyway, I hope I don't come across as an annoying know-it-all, here.[/sblock]

Remove ads