The Logic of Panic Buying

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says.

Put simply I'm a cynic. While some people believe in ideals I lean more towards humanity being highly evolved monkeys with nukes and cell phones. Monkeys seem to be less self destructive however so they might be smarter than us.

Panic buying IMHO is due to 2 things.

1. Fear of missing out or FOMO.
2. Trying to control something. You can't do much individually about Covid 19 but you can buy toilet paper.

However there will be genuine shortages. The best example of this is hand sanitizer. Even without panic buying theres not enough of it in the world.

Even if you could buy it that just means someone else in a poorer country is going without.

However there is a sane amount of panic buying. For example if you get sick even non Covid ideally you self isolate for 14 days. Who had 14 days worth of food? If you have two people in your household what happens if you get sick two weeks apart? Do you have a months food? What if you want to self isolate for two months?

You don't need a years supply of toilet paper but due to disruptions things are going to get hard to get. Here that's flour, we have plenty the Mills are operating, storehouses are 90% full. Freight is still running.

But we're out of packaging and resupply is 6 weeks away. The flours there, we can't buy it or at least the supermarket was out. They only have 20kg bags and they're being shipped to the bakery.

Another silly example is they banned plastic supermarket bags a few years ago. Reusable cloth bags are the way forward. Well can't buy them any more either and some supermarkets have banned them as well.

Well foods still going to be produced? Here and in the US it's starting to rot in the ground as they can't harvest it. Even if they could the smaller stores and restaurants that buy it are closed. In a few weeks people might not have the money to buy it even if it was available to buy.

It's harvest time for late autumn crops such as apples. Due to lockdown the tourists who work part time can't harvest them.

Those people who bought canned apples might not be stupid.

IDK where the line is between stupid panic buying and sane stocking up lies. We started a week or so the panic buying started. Since then we have been going in late at night often on Monday or Tuesday buying whatever's left.

I'm not fussy, I don't mind eating oats. I don't need a kale and quinoa infused soy latte with organic vanilla sprinkles on top. In the 1980s as a kid coffee choices were black or white with or without suger. I wasn't allowed coffee that often and didn't have McDonalds until 1991 age 12, Pizza Hutt 1996 aged 18.

So no FOMO here I'm expecting some things I like will disappear. Just going to go get some recipes for sausages via phone off my wives grandmother cya.

tommybahama

Adventurer
Another silly example is they banned plastic supermarket bags a few years ago. Reusable cloth bags are the way forward. Well can't buy them any more either and some supermarkets have banned them as well.

Who is "they" Kemosabe? In California which started this stupid idea it was done by the government at the behest of environmentalists that refused to recognize the public health implications of their unnecessary and counterproductive legislation that did the opposite of what they believed. But it made them feel good!

An Interesting story I listened to about the toilet paper shortage. In normal circumstances 40% of your TP use is away from home using commercial TP. So there is an abundance of commercial TP available since nobody is going out but they lack the distribution network and packaging for retail sales. And then there's the problem of the commercial rolls being too big for your home dispensers.

I wonder if there are tons of hand sanitizer available in bulk sizes at janitorial supply companies?

Zardnaar

Legend
Who is "they" Kemosabe? In California which started this stupid idea it was done by the government at the behest of environmentalists that refused to recognize the public health implications of their unnecessary and counterproductive legislation that did the opposite of what they believed. But it made them feel good!

An Interesting story I listened to about the toilet paper shortage. In normal circumstances 40% of your TP use is away from home using commercial TP. So there is an abundance of commercial TP available since nobody is going out but they lack the distribution network and packaging for retail sales. And then there's the problem of the commercial rolls being too big for your home dispensers.

I wonder if there are tons of hand sanitizer available in bulk sizes at janitorial supply companies?

Probably not hand sanitizer is going to be hard to get at least the nice Aloe very ones.

I'm not saying getting rid of plastic bags was stupid but now we're in a stupid situation where they don't have any alternatives.

They've already cancelled recycling it's all being dumped as the recycling jobs count as non essential. Landfill it is.

ccs

41st lv DM
You don't need a years supply of toilet paper but due to disruptions things are going to get hard to get.

I disagree.
I shop for TP (and other similar products - paper towels, paper plates, soaps, trash bags, etc, even cat litter) once a year. About mid-January (once the Christmas bills are paid off). I know how much I use in a year. And then I buy 13 months worth - just in case something goes awry.
Mostly because I hate continuously shopping for this stuff.
I'm fortunate that I can 1) afford to shop like this, 2) have the space to store it.

And yes, I've typically got two months worth of food.

This has proven very handy in the current situation.

Zardnaar

Legend
I disagree.
I shop for TP (and other similar products - paper towels, paper plates, soaps, trash bags, etc, even cat litter) once a year. About mid-January (once the Christmas bills are paid off). I know how much I use in a year. And then I buy 13 months worth - just in case something goes awry.
Mostly because I hate continuously shopping for this stuff.
I'm fortunate that I can 1) afford to shop like this, 2) have the space to store it.

And yes, I've typically got two months worth of food.

This has proven very handy in the current situation.

There's always someone:).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The hand sanitizers shortage is nearly purely irrational. There plenty for its intended purposes if people weren’t hoarding.

Because it isn’t intended as a superior alternative to soap. In most cases- including current circumstances- soap & water does a better job than sanitizer.

Sanitizer is a product of convenience, intended for use when you don’t have access to water, or when conservation of water & time is needed.

With so many people stuck at home, soap & water is what they SHOULD be using, not the gallons of Purell they just swept off the shelves,

Zardnaar

Legend
The hand sanitizers shortage is nearly purely irrational. There plenty for its intended purposes if people weren’t hoarding.

Because it isn’t intended as a superior alternative to soap. In most cases- including current circumstances- soap & water does a better job than sanitizer.

Sanitizer is a product of convenience, intended for use when you don’t have access to water, or when conservation of water & time is needed.

With so many people stuck at home, soap & water is what they SHOULD be using, not the gallons of Purell they just swept off the shelves,

We've bare used ours. We've been using foamy soap, got some liquid soap last night and have 9 bars of oat soap.

The jumbo size hand moisturizers are great.

Anecdote years ago I worked at McDonalds. Every 15 minutes we had to sanitize the hands.

No horror stories from that location.

Remove ads