The Logic of Panic Buying

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Relevant to the sourdough discussion....

sourdough_starter.png
It’s like a microbiological version of the xenomorphs from Alien! I see it so clearly now!

Thank goodness I buy my sourdough from the bakery...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You have bakery open? Damn.

Hot cross buns were a washout this year.
Many of the groceries around here have in-house bakeries. Those are the ones I hit the most. That works out great for us because we’re currently limited to 1 loaf per trip in the bread aisle, but there’s no limit on stuff from the bakery. This is especially important to us since Mom is super picky about bread. The only thing she tolerates from the bread aisle is sliced white (only if it’s toasted) and marble rye,

There are a few EXCELLENT standalones we normally hit, too. But they’re farther away, so it hasn’t been feasible for us to even see if they’re open.

Zardnaar

Legend
Many of the groceries around here have in-house bakeries. Those are the ones I hit the most. That works out great for us because we’re currently limited to 1 loaf per trip in the bread aisle, but there’s no limit on stuff from the bakery. This is especially important to us since Mom is super picky about bread. The only thing she tolerates from the bread aisle is sliced white (only if it’s toasted) and marble rye,

There are a few EXCELLENT standalones we normally hit, too. But they’re farther away, so it hasn’t been feasible for us to even see if they’re open.

Fresh breads not really a big problem here. Bought some from a small dairy.

Supermarkets have in store bakeries and they're quite good. Think we buy two loaves a week and make one if we run low.

Burgers and pita no change.

Panic buying was the worst around days leading up to lockdown and easter. We haven't had the lines up north but I got the family shopping on Sunday morning, annd on Mondays/Tuesdays avoiding most of the weekend and welfare pay days.

Remove ads