The Lost Art of Dungeon-Crawling

There is a certain type of adventure that in recent years seems to have fallen out of popularity: dungeons.

There is a certain type of adventure that in recent years seems to have fallen out of popularity: dungeons.

not-dead-3525140_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

"I Look Up!"

The release of several old D&D modules got me looking at some of these old original adventures, and they are quite eye-opening on the subject of dungeon design. These are the first games of D&D we played and while some are a little dated, it's easy to see why they kept us playing. While almost everything in those adventures was dangerous, there was magic and mystery in the rooms you found. There were rooms with strange orbs suspended from the ceiling; mysterious indoor gardens full of medicinal plants, poison and monsters; ghostly feasts that share a tragic history; and mysterious keys guarded with fiendish traps.

I think I know why dungeons fell out of vogue. Way back in the early 80s we discovered city adventuring. Modules then became quests or investigations across a cityscape full of NPCs and role-play opportunities with all manner of details and cultures. This new way of gaming outside a maze opened a whole new sandbox. This change in adventure design opened new vistas for adventurers, but crowded out the traditional dungeon crawl as a result.

A Return to Form

Luckily, in recent years we have seen a more interesting return to dungeons. More designers are coming back to them and trying to break the myth. Mork Borg has its share and a other ‘old school’ games have sought to blow the dust off the idea of raiding underground facilities. Its fun to dive into these lairs once again, and a simple diversion from what has become the usual kind of game. While I’m certainly more on the side of narrative play and character interaction, sometimes it is nice to know that you just need to pick a door rather than work out the villain’s plot and craft an elegant plan (that one of the players may just ignore anyway).

If you are thinking of crafting a dungeon of your own, here's a few pointers.

Give the Place A Reason

Whether it is an old ruin or an underground laboratory, make sure the dungeon has a reason to exist and some sort of history. A hole in the ground isn’t very interesting so give it a back-story, even just a small one. It might be a tomb, an old ruin creatures have taken over or a lab where magic went wrong. It need not be especially clever, just as long as you can place it in your setting.

A Dungeon Need Not Be an Actual Dungeon

What you are creating is a place full of rooms linked with doors and corridors, so it need not be underground. A house or a castle is basically the same, as is a sky city, large airship, underwater citadel or even a walled in town (put a roof on real world Venice and you have an epic dungeon).

Don’t Construct It with Only One Path

When you are making a lot of cool stuff it is very tempting to make sure none of it gets missed. But you should avoid the temptation for having only one path through the dungeon that takes in every room. If the player characters miss out rooms 34-48, you can use them in the next adventure. Nothing is wasted. But if you insist they follow one path you are ruining the fun of exploring a dungeon and taking away the agency of choice. If you offer several different paths, when they enter the room of certain death you can point out with a clear conscience that they didn’t have to open the black door with the skull on the front.

Corridors Are Rooms Too

Don’t reserve encounters just for rooms. They can happen anywhere in the dungeon, in corridors, on stairwells; anywhere the player characters don’t expect one.

Add Some Mystery Not Just Monsters

While you will need a few monsters to fight to gain some treasure, put in traps and just weird stuff too. Not everything need be deadly, just something weird to make the player characters think can be fun too, if only to cross a room (the Crystal Maze will be a big help here). With magic in the world you can put some very odd places in a dungeon. Just imagine something that would look strange and enticing when they open the door and then figure out what it does. It might be a room full of glass spheres, a garden with odd looking plants, a table set for a feast with only statues as guests. The weirder the room the more the player characters will be intrigued.

Make Sure There Are A Variety of Encounters

This relates to the above; don’t rely on one sort of encounter. Make sure you have a mixture of traps, monsters, weird rooms and role play encounters. Try to avoid having the same type of room twice in a row if you can.

Don’t Skimp on the Role-Play

Even dragons might chat; just because it is a dungeon doesn't mean there are opportunities to role play. Trapped creatures, intelligent monsters under a curse or a contract and even the odd guard might be talked to as easily as fought. You can let the player character make this decision, by who they choose to attack on sight. But remind them that they can talk their way out of situations as well.

Make Every Door Worth Opening

If you do the job right, each door the player characters come across will fill them with a mixture of fear and anticipation. What lies beyond this door, a trap, a fearful death, untold riches or wild magic? If a room or encounter doesn’t’ feel that interesting to you, cut it from your dungeon. Maybe consider it a little and use it later on when you’ve made it work better. A dungeon need not be a sprawl, and a shorter one has the advantage of potentially allowing the player characters to escape and try another one some other day.

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

My general problem with dungeons is that the more engaging they become, the harder it becomes to maintain verisimilitude outside of using a small array of tropes.

There simply aren't many NPCs that have rationales to stock inaccessible locations with traps and put in puzzles (for some reason), leave occasional magic items in out-of-the-way places (as opposed to, ya know, using them), and have different types of monsters locked up and somehow maintained.
Verisimilitude is easy to maintain. I consider old dungeons remnants of an ancient magical empires. Through the ages, many tried to take the dungeon for their own purposes. Some succeeded briefly, others failed and died. Some adventurers died alone in a forgotten room, thus the lone treasure you might sometimes find. Sometimes, these poor souls had time to write a dying message such as:" They got me. But they won't get Wanda, I made sure she could escape. May the gods help her on her way up. Why did we come to this accursed place. No staff of the magi I worth our live. Curse Davingoth for bringing us to this undead infested place..."

And if the players have not met undead yet, you create expectations and even fear. The point is, dungeon crawling is as exciting and logical as you it to be. And in a world where stone can be shaped magically and walls of stone can be created out of nowhere, the cost for creating a dungeon is not as prohibitive as one might think. Mud to stone can also be of use. Earth elementals can dig very fast and charmed purple worms and umber hulks can also be used to create tunnels very fast. Then, have a priest or druid shape the stone as you wish... So nope the construction of dungeon in a world of magic is not that of an hassle.

Could you expand on how this dungeon could fit the pillars? What would it need to do to be exploration? What counts as a social encounter? Obviously the Skyrim example is limited its not a TTRPG, there is no GM and its only got a single player. How would it translate at the table?
See my post above in my original reply to you. Obviously I gave generic examples, but you could easily come up with tomb specific examples.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
So the traps and puzzles dont count as exploration? The caught thief who asks you to help him get free and get the treasure from the spider room isnt social pillar?
It’s assumed you fight the bandits, the trolls, and the draugr. There’s no room for negotiation or trying to play them off each other. Also as specified, there are no alternate paths. Solving a puzzle isn’t exploring. Finding an alternate path that lets you bypass a group of troublesome monsters is meaningful exploration.

Compare Skyrm to Bloodborne. Even though Bloodborne is somewhat linear overall, there are multiple ways to go about things. Even the first boss of the game depends on what you do. It could be Cleric Beast, but it could also be Father Gascoigne. Suppose you’re going to Cleric Beast first; there are several paths up. You might go right at first, but there’s also a shorter path to the left that lets you skip that and avoid the werewolves (for the most part). That’s meaningful exploration.

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I accept this is a valid concern of some. Though Two rebuttals here:

1) to some extent, verisimilitude can go hang. You can embrace the mythic underworld nature of dungeons should you wish. There is a logic, but it’s a distorted one.

2) Broaden your definition of a dungeon to maintain verisimilitude. A dungeon doesn’t have to be a literal dungeon.
I’d argue that if there’s a logic to it, then the weird dungeons are needed to maintain verisimilitude.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I accept this is a valid concern of some. Though Two rebuttals here:

1) to some extent, verisimilitude can go hang. You can embrace the mythic underworld nature of dungeons should you wish. There is a logic, but it’s a distorted one.
I accept that this can be done, especially if you build the campaign around dungeon crawling. (13th Age, as an example, has dungeons which are literally grown by the fabric of the world into chaotic hellholes to explore. I like this.)

But particularly in a sandbox setting, I think site explorations need to have a sense of place. The dungeon has to have some sort of purpose, unless it's entirely inhabited by non-sentients and was created by natural/magical forces.

2) Broaden your definition of a dungeon to maintain verisimilitude. A dungeon doesn’t have to be a literal dungeon.
Sure. When I say dungeon, assume I mean "site/complex exploration", not a literal dungeon underground. The focus here is a keyed map, with lots of rooms and linking corriders, not the aesthetic. A faerie maze could be a dungeon, or a wizard's tower, or an abandoned temple.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Verisimilitude is easy to maintain. I consider old dungeons remnants of an ancient magical empires. Through the ages, many tried to take the dungeon for their own purposes. Some succeeded briefly, others failed and died. Some adventurers died alone in a forgotten room, thus the lone treasure you might sometimes find. Sometimes, these poor souls had time to write a dying message such as:" They got me. But they won't get Wanda, I made sure she could escape. May the gods help her on her way up. Why did we come to this accursed place. No staff of the magi I worth our live. Curse Davingoth for bringing us to this undead infested place..."

And if the players have not met undead yet, you create expectations and even fear. The point is, dungeon crawling is as exciting and logical as you it to be. And in a world where stone can be shaped magically and walls of stone can be created out of nowhere, the cost for creating a dungeon is not as prohibitive as one might think. Mud to stone can also be of use. Earth elementals can dig very fast and charmed purple worms and umber hulks can also be used to create tunnels very fast. Then, have a priest or druid shape the stone as you wish... So nope the construction of dungeon in a world of magic is not that of an hassle.
Yea, that's the kind of stuff that I don't really like. I want to know WHY did the magical empire build it? That's a lot of money and time to invest in a remote facility. What did they use it for? Was it magical experimentation? A living space? A refuge? People don't simply build large places and fill them with traps and puzzles just because.

I know it's a common sentiment that the dungeon crawl is dead, but Pathfinder APs are FULL of medium to large sized dungeons. And Paizo is the largest third party publisher of D&D-esque content ever. So I think that there's still a lot of folks playing through dungeons. It's just no longer the exclusive mode of play that it was in the 70s.

In addition to Princes of the Apocalypse, there are several other 5E hardbacks that feature large adventuring environments: Tomb of Annihilation, Storm King's Thunder, Curse of Strahd. Plus the hardbacks that reprint earlier edition adventures, of course.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This one I disagree with. Generally you are correct. I think a linear dungeon with one clear cut objective where there is little or nothing for the players to decide other than accomplishing a goal has its place in the game as a dungeon. Though it has to be used very sparingly.
Allow me to disagree with your disagreement. :)

Linear-path dungeons IMO are (almost always) awful. Awful for the players, whose only real choice becomes whether to go forward or retreat; and boring for the DM, who gets to do nothing but run the encounters in neatly scripted order.

Yea, that's the kind of stuff that I don't really like. I want to know WHY did the magical empire build it? That's a lot of money and time to invest in a remote facility. What did they use it for? Was it magical experimentation? A living space? A refuge? People don't simply build large places and fill them with traps and puzzles just because.
Reasons may vary. Underground magical research facility is but one possibility. They extended the facilities but at some point the Empire crumbled. Then new owners discovered it took custody of the place and they too got killed by invaders. Repeat the process as much as you want. Each owner adding traps of their own. What you have to make sure, is that the dungeon is not linear with many points of entrance and exit.
Level 2 might lead to level 3 and 6 for example. A pit trap might once has been an elevator going from level 6 to 8. The elevator might also lead to level 7 but since it is now a pit trap, allow a falling character to notice that it is also an access to level 7 (mid fall of course ) might trigger some questioning about that unusually long descent to level 5... Players might wonder if they are truly on level 5 or 6... Did they missed a whole level?

Also, I make sure that some parts of a level are accessible from an other level. For example, the level 4 might be split into 3 areas. Two are connected via a secret passage but the third one might be accessible from a unhidden stair case in level 5. Just searching that weird empty spot on their map will drive players crazy...

Also a level might be sprawled over two sheets and might not perfectly align with the others. Another level might be smaller. Vary caves and constructed areas. Some areas might have been cut off from the others through some cave in. The goal of a dungeon is not always to make sense but to surprise players. Also, you might not have a "logic" behind your dungeons, but strangely, your players will guide you to one. So far, it has always happened this way in mine. And guess what? Their own theories are often better than mine! You don't have to be in town or in wilderness to improvise encounters. A dungeon is even better as it will force you to think how did this creature came into that room? Crypt things were a good explanation back in the days.

Dungeons are often a case of SUIM. "Shut Up! It's Magic!"

How long would it take to create a three level dungeon for a wizard of 14th level? With a charmed Umber hulk, less than 2 days for the basic layout. Then using a priest to shape stones into stairwells, slides and slopes and whatever not that long. Clearing rumbles with disintegrate or a charmed purple worm can also work. Elementals can also do trick. With magic, imagination is the limit. Not the money.

Remove ads

Remove ads