The made RIFTS for Savage Lands? Huh.

dbm

Savage!
The ’character class’ mechanic in Savage Rifts is called an ‘iconic framework’ and is quite a bit different from how the class edges work in Savage Pathfinder. The frameworks each contain about 4-6 advances worth of stuff for your character to start with. So a brand new, no advance character in Savage Rifts is more like a Seasoned character in other SW implementations. This ‘head room’ of assumed power is what allows characters to start off as a Dragon Hatchling or Glitterboy without completely breaking the ability levels across character types. Aftet that, there are special edges that characters can have to further enhance their framework related abilities.

I have only read the material at this point, not run it. But it’s on the list of campaigns to run in the near future.

Jahydin

Hero
Mechanics wise, I think they did an amazing job staying "true" to the feel of Rifts with a SW engine.

That said, it just didn't capture the magic of the original for me at all. One of the big appeals of Rifts for me is feeling like I can create whatever story I want in this completely unfair and chaotic world. The SW version felt very much being guided on rails on what sorts of stories I should be telling in a much more "balanced" world. For instance, no options to play as the Coalition.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Mechanics wise, I think they did an amazing job staying "true" to the feel of Rifts with a SW engine.

That said, it just didn't capture the magic of the original for me at all. One of the big appeals of Rifts for me is feeling like I can create whatever story I want in this completely unfair and chaotic world. The SW version felt very much being guided on rails on what sorts of stories I should be telling in a much more "balanced" world. For instance, no options to play as the Coalition.
There is a bunch of coalition armor weapons vehicles & gear in coalition field manual

Remove ads