D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
A lot of that is mirrored by unexplained fantasy stuff. How do Dwarves live so long? Where do gods come from? Why does magic exist?

This varies from author to author of course. The PHB has a ton of it though.

Is the few hundred years the dwarves live a long time? Do readers generally assume humans live, well humanish lifespans until told otherwise? Should they? If they didn't should Aragorn remarking on his age, for example, have surprised anyone?

I'm betting if we took a survey or tested it, almost every reader assumes just about everything they are reading about works similar to IRL or their previous exposure to it until told otherwise. Is it even possible to make sense of a reading without grounding the words and basic interactions to what we know if not told otherwise?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In DnD a man can swim in full plate armor across the mississipi river, with no discernible practice, training or exerted effort.
Not in many people’s d&d. Fiction trumps rules.
In DnD, your average Knight is as strong as a silverback gorilla, which in the real world is considered about as strong as 20 average mean. Gladiators are stronger still.
That’s not true. He has the same str stat, he cannot carry nearly as much.
In DnD, a street thief with no training, can free-hand scale a 9 story building in six seconds. Everyone can do so in thirty seconds.
in many campaigns this isn’t true. Fiction trumps rules.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Being able to fight something insanely powerful and supernatural doesn’t require one to be supernatural.

or just a human fighter. What’s the devil doing that requires anything more?

Because at that point, I'm sitting thinking "dang, the devil is lucky he didn't show up in the real world. If a well-trained warrior with a metal stick can kill him, he'd be powerless against people with sniper rifles and missiles."

You take the threat from "You need to be exceptional to survive this thing, let alone win!" to "Meh, woulda been faster with a colt iron on my belt." And this thing is supposed to be a threat for entire planets!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Because at that point, I'm sitting thinking "dang, the devil is lucky he didn't show up in the real world. If a well-trained warrior with a metal stick can kill him, he'd be powerless against people with sniper rifles and missiles."

You take the threat from "You need to be exceptional to survive this thing, let alone win!" to "Meh, woulda been faster with a colt iron on my belt." And this thing is supposed to be a threat for entire planets!
So what’s the devil actually doing that requires more? You aren’t answering that question.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No evidence? At all?

Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Gelatinous Cubes, Dragons, Giants, Liches, Gods, Spells, Hells, Wish, True Polymorph, True Resurrection, Sentient Objects, Awakened Trees...like..

there's almost 50 years of this stuff out there..

..and you find none of it persuasive..even directionally..in getting to the conclusion that the game is not intended to simulate how things work on Earth and people shouldn't expect it to?
Not one bit of that says you should expect the universe doesn't act like Earth-normal in the absence of indications to the contrary, mostly because those indicators are quite clear when they come up. You think I read Game of Thrones and assume that, since there are really long seasons and the occasional dragon, that the lid is off the box and absolutely anything goes? No. I still assume Westeros acts like Earth unless told otherwise, and I categorically refuse to feel wrong about that because the concept of "fantasy" is apparently All or Nothing to you.

Remove ads