The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Assuming that species ages the same way that humans do.
Sure, I guess they could have him say "Growth slow may be but fast, puberty is, for my species."

But personally I think that would be a lame excuse to pull a Groot. A little too plot-based convenient for my taste. I guess if they make him awesome enough, I would shrug it off, though!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
On the topic of illusion of depth, this is one of the reasons when I write a D&D campaign, that I write a lot more backstory than the players will ever explore. It creates a feeling that all the individual elements are part of a greater whole, but there are purposefully puzzle pieces missing. It is a puzzle that the players can try and put together in their head, although it is not meant to be solved.

Many of those background elements are just window dressing; never meant to be stories of their own. In that respect, I feel exploring the clone wars and Vaders backstory was a mistake. It is not as interesting to show the audience what happened, rather than leaving it to the audience to fill in the blanks. Vader was written as a villain, and never meant to be a protagonist. So you have to jump through a lot of hoops to make him one.

Likewise, showing the Spice Mines of Kessel in Solo feels creatively bankrupt. I enjoyed the film, while a lot of people seem to hate on it. But the way these spinoffs blow up George Lucas' table scraps into full blown stories, feels extremely uninspired to me.

The trilogy of The Hobbit movies had the same problem. Peter Jackson tried to transform a simple book into a fullblown epic trilogy, by filling it with left overs from the Silmarillion: details that were never meant to be full blown stories of their own. Transforming the window dressing into the foreground of a grand adventure, means taking away some of that mystery, and the feeling of depth. Sure, he's filling in the missing pieces and creating actual depth. But what is inserted is not necessarily better than what we had in our heads. And some puzzles are intended to remain unsolved. I did not need to see the clone wars, or the spice mines of Kessel, or the battle of the 5 armies.
Not only is it not always better than what we might have in our heads, but it also has the effect that it makes the world smaller. I found that the prequels (and again, in the sequels) took the galaxy-large setting and made it feel so much smaller. It's just the same stuff, over and over. The novels, comics, and cartoons (and now Mando) do a much better balancing act of mixing the familiar with the new to size it back up.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Sure, I guess they could have him say "Growth slow may be but fast, puberty is, for my species."

But personally I think that would be a lame excuse to pull a Groot. A little too plot-based convenient for my taste. I guess if they make him awesome enough, I would shrug it off, though!
It seems like a weird concept to have him age very slowly as a baby, then suddenly age very quickly comparatively as an adolescent and then age very slowly again as an adult.

We know that Yoda looks barely any younger when he was 700 years old in the High Republic Adventures IDW comics (launching next month). And we know that Grogu aged very slowly at 50 years old being still essentially an infant.

While Star Wars is weird, and I would be okay with Star Wars deciding that Yoda's species does a weird slow/fast/slow aging pattern, from everything we've seen, the species seems to just age SLOWLY in general. Weirdness for weirdness' sake is no longer weird, if you get my drift. You need an appropriate level of weird. If everything is weird nothing is. This is the mantra with development on Tamriel Rebuilt (the fan project to design, build, and quest mainland Morrowind within the TES III: Morrowind engine), and I wholeheartedly believe this mantra holds true for the weirdness in a Galaxy long, long ago and far, far, away, too.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Well, it is now official:

Dang. That sucks. I liked her character. (I'm not upset that they dropped her, I'm upset that she did that.)

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Huh, that's stupid...not unexpected at all...but still pretty moronic. :(

I liked the Mandalorian. Gina was a great addition and played an interesting character. I was looking forward to seeing more of that characters back story and everything.

But hey... I guess that's Hollywood for you. Or, to put another way ... "Meanwhile, in California...".
;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

What kind of an idiot would publicly conflate [anti-Mask/ Stolen election/ anti-Trans] views to the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany?

She didn't go full Mel Gibson, but that's just madness for someone employed in Hollywood.

That said, while the comments were poor, this seems a bit of an overreaction in isolation.

Then again, for every rat you see, there are 10 you don't, so God knows how she conducts herself and what 'views' she shares elsewhere.

pukunui

Legend
Huh. Well, I guess we can be sure then that Rangers of the New Republic isn’t going to be the Cara Dune spinoff show!

Huh. Well, I guess we can be sure then that Rangers of the New Republic isn’t going to be the Cara Dune spinoff show!

naughty word, I just found out Pedro Pascals sister is a trans woman.

So Gina thinks its OK to publicly draw parallels between her own views and the treatment of Jews by the Nazis (while employed by Lucasfilm/ Disney no less) and slag off trans people, while the star of the show she's working in... has a trans sister?

How dumb do you have to be?

No doubt she'll move on to getting a massive Parler following she can monetize, but still. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Still might be, just with her part recast. Kinda sad to see her go I thought she was good in the role, not sure exactly what she said, and don't really care to, but must have been pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads