D&D 5E The Minsc and Book product

Not that I know of, but both Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate exist in the Forgotten Realms/Sword Coast. That's the only thing I can think of for the reasoning unless somebody in the credits list is a huge fan of Neverwinter Nights 1.

I mean heck, we even have The final boss of the Shadows of the Undrentide expansion, Mesphistopheles in this as well. So it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case.
I looked it up, and James Ohlen was the lead designer of Neverwinter Nights as well. So that explains Aribeth's appearance...

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
So is this canon? Like as far as the comics are? Minsc is around due the turn to statue stuff form the comics but Imoen still being alive? Jon Irencus (sort of)? Aribeth? Or is all the stuff formt eh various games in this (aside from Minsc) just fan level wishful thinking?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
So is this canon? Like as far as the comics are? Minsc is around due the turn to statue stuff form the comics but Imoen still being alive? Jon Irencus (sort of)? Aribeth? Or is all the stuff formt eh various games in this (aside from Minsc) just fan level wishful thinking?

This probably falls into the canon-realm of "canon, until a mainline D&D book contradicts it."

It does have D&D's official stamp on it and is sold directly by them through DMsGuild, so it is as canon as the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was.

pukunui

Legend
IIRC Ohlen’s previous DMs Guild release, the Heroes of Baldur’s Gate, ignored the 4e timeline jump and was thus “set” in the same era as the BG games.

Is the setting info provided in this book the same, or is it for the 5e era?

IIRC Ohlen’s previous DMs Guild release, the Heroes of Baldur’s Gate, ignored the 4e timeline jump and was thus “set” in the same era as the BG games.

It's in the current time line. The events of the games are stated to have been over a century ago, and the surviving NPCs have much higher CRs compared to the first book.

Not that I know of, but both Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate exist in the Forgotten Realms/Sword Coast. That's the only thing I can think of for the reasoning unless somebody in the credits list is a huge fan of Neverwinter Nights 1.

I mean heck, we even have The final boss of the Shadows of the Undrentide expansion, Mesphistopheles in this as well. So it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case.
Mephistopheles was the final boss of Hordes of the Underdark.

Heroes of Baldur’s Gate is indeed set in 1369 DR, between the events of the first two BG video games. It doesn’t entirely ignore the fact that there have been time jumps between editions since then, because it does include one page aimed at assisting DMs who want to run the adventure in the 5e-era Realms—but this is limited to brief descriptions of the current status of the various NPCs in 1489 DR, along with one-line suggestions for how to replace the NPCs who have since died.

Back when it was released, I was very excited that there was finally a major DM’s Guild product set in the pre-Spellplague period and with palpable love for the setting’s lore. I do run games in the “modern” Realms but it was great to see something new set in the classic era. Haven’t seen anything else along those lines since, but I’m very excited to see what Ohlen has come up with now. He plainly loves the setting and has a gift for storytelling and lore creating.

Heroes of Baldur’s Gate is indeed set in 1369 DR, between the events of the first two BG video games. It doesn’t entirely ignore the fact that there have been time jumps between editions since then, because it does include one page aimed at assisting DMs who want to run the adventure in the 5e-era Realms—but this is limited to brief descriptions of the current status of the various NPCs in 1489 DR, along with one-line suggestions for how to replace the NPCs who have since died.

Back when it was released, I was very excited that there was finally a major DM’s Guild product set in the pre-Spellplague period and with palpable love for the setting’s lore. I do run games in the “modern” Realms but it was great to see something new set in the classic era. Haven’t seen anything else along those lines since, but I’m very excited to see what Ohlen has come up with now. He plainly loves the setting and has a gift for storytelling and lore creating.
I kinda wish WotC would just let him officially create a full-fledged mini-settting book for the area between Baldur's Gate and the Cloud Peaks, sort of a detailed, medium-sized adventuring sandbox for DMs and players to play in. It's just the right size without being too big, and has a lot of variety; with a big city, a depository of knowledge, some medium to small towns, a couple of temples and a fairly powerful wizard, plenty of ruins and mines, untamed wilderness areas, with the sea, forests, mountains, and so on. It's one of the reasons the original BG game was a success, due to it being a fun area to just wander around in. He is obviously very familiar with the area and could definitely do it justice...

I'm sure fits would be thrown in some quarters about "the Sword Coast Again!", but honestly, 5e doesn't have this sort of book at the moment.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I kinda wish WotC would just let him officially create a full-fledged mini-settting book for the area between Baldur's Gate and the Cloud Peaks, sort of a detailed, medium-sized adventuring sandbox for DMs and players to play in. It's just the right size without being too big, and has a lot of variety; with a big city, a depository of knowledge, some medium to small towns, a couple of temples and a fairly powerful wizard, plenty of ruins and mines, untamed wilderness areas, with the sea, forests, mountains, and so on. It's one of the reasons the original BG game was a success, due to it being a fun area to just wander around in. He is obviously very familiar with the area and could definitely do it justice...

I'm sure fits would be thrown in some quarters about "the Sword Coast Again!", but honestly, 5e doesn't have this sort of book at the moment.
Not that I'm him.... But I do have a product on DMsGuild that mostly does that..... Look up Sixel publishing if you are interested.

Remove ads