D&D 5E The Minsc and Book product

It's out it's a DMs Guild thing supporting Extralife.

From the Journal of the Legendary Ranger and his Pet Hamster

A century has passed since the Bhaalspawn fought over the legacy of their father — Bhaal, the Lord of Murder. Two heroes witnessed the epic struggle firsthand — the ranger Minsc and his faithful companion, Boo.

Minsc and Boo were able to track down old friends and hated enemies and find out what they’ve been up to over the past century. They’ve compiled everything into this journal, edited by the traveler extraordinaire, Volo Geddarm.

Included in this journal are four cities, including Athkatla and Baldur’s Gate; ten group patrons led by some of Minsc and Boo’s old friends; a dozen new monsters; six arch villains and eleven dastardly henchmen.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
He was a statue.
I know about that bit of lore... but -look-.
Minsc-Baldur-Gate-game-DnD-portrait.jpg

This is a man in his mid to late 30s, possibly early 40s.

365114.png

This man has only recently vanquished Puberty.

It's sort of by WotC.

It's published by WotC via DMsGuild (like for example any of the much shorter products they've put out to benefit the Extra Life charity, or like the Wayfinder's Guide). But it doesn't look like anyone on the WotC RPG team worked on it. Instead, its lead designer was James Ohlen, who was one of the folks responsible for the original Baldur's Gate I & II games. He released a setting guide / adventure based on those games through DMs Guild a while back ("Heroes of Baldur's Gate")—then got hired by WotC in their video games division. I wonder whether perhaps this new book, seemingly a follow-up to "Heroes," was already under independent development by Ohlen and then the decision was made to release it "by" WotC since Ohlen was now a WotC employee.

Still, this is interesting—to my knowledge it's the first ever new book-length product (albeit half the length of a regular WotC 5e book) that WotC themselves have released on DMsGuild with a print-on-demand option. I wonder if a door is opening...

Last edited:

I know about that bit of lore... but -look-.
Minsc-Baldur-Gate-game-DnD-portrait.jpg

This is a man in his mid to late 30s, possibly early 40s.

365114.png

This man has only recently vanquished Puberty.
I suspect that may be deliberate—Minsc doesn't have his scars in the cover illo, either, and the conceit of the book is that it's a journal detailing his adventures. I'm guessing that's an image of an adventure he had in his youth, prior to the events of BG1.

Remove ads