D&D 5E The missing mechanic

Andor

First Post
I've been mulling over the idea for a base class centered around magical effects which are more available than spells, which necessitates a balance mechanic of some sort of, and then it occurred to me that the Rune Scribe handed me the missing element on a silver platter.

A single base class, centered around creating magical effects strong enough to employ, and balanced around attunement slots should be pretty doable. Just like Wizards and Clerics the sub-classes begin at level 1. Binder, Totemist, and Artificer/Alchemist are all both thematically and mechanically appropriate.

Heck, the biggest problem I can see is finding a name better than Imbuer or Hedge Mage.

Thoughts?

An "Adept" would probably the word we would be looking for an equivalent concept in plain English. It may have too many connotations with recent spiritual traditions, Madame Blavatsky, Aleister Crowley as well as a variety of uses in D&D itself over the years and in other game systems that the meaning may have shifted for the gamer community, but it does convey the idea of expertise as well as having a magical and alchemy connection.

I do really like the idea of having these different manifestations of similar ideas be covered by the same class though. I'll continue to ponder a name and watch what others come up with.

Yaarel

He Mage
Maybe Artificer, as level 20 core class, using spell slots for magic item creation.

Maybe Artificer is a Prestige Class that multiclasses with either Wizard or Cleric, for elemental magic and healing magic.

Bera

Explorer
How does this concept really differ from the warlock?

Though, I'll admit. I also didn't see why a runecaster class couldn't have been a normal 1-20 class as well.

Remove ads