The Monetization of D&D Play

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don't think anyone is talking about paying their buddies. AL is not a game with your friends though. It's a bunch of unrelated people who show up to an event, and there are just fewer people interested in being the DM than being a player. DM'ing for randos sounds like more work than fun, so no wonder they need to offer incentives to keep organized play running. An open game that the store organizes and runs would be a similar situation.

Maybe they can clarify but that is exactly how I took many of the posts here

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't have a problem with a FLGS charging for the table time (they have a storefront to pay for, after all), nor do I have a problem with a fee helping to comp the DM for the cost of the AL adventure if they're required to buy them.

But I would have a problem with a game store charging too much for an organized play program like AL or PFS, particularly for new players. Those are at least partly designed to be outreach for new players. Setting a price too high runs the risk of pricing out parents with multiple kids looking to try out the game. I don't want FLGSs to just eat the cost, nor DM volunteers to be exploited, but I don't want the entry barrier to be set too high either. $5 doesn't sound like too much, unless you're the guy showing up with 2-3 kids.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Maybe I missed it but most seemed fine with the concept of paying for space. It's mostly the notion that DMs should be paid that is being argued against

Sure.

But in that case, I feel the same. If you cannot get a buddy to DM, then paying might be worth it to you. If not, don't.

And if you pay for a while, get the bug (how can you not) you might find that you or a buddy will bite the bullet and step it up and DM! You might have less need to pay.

Until then? If you want it, pay for it. I believe workers are worthy of being paid for what they do.

I can cook at home, but sometimes do not want to do so. I pay to eat at a restaurant. Similar in many ways. Sure, cooking should or could be a passion...but sometimes I just can't want to...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Maybe I missed it but most seemed fine with the concept of paying for space. It's mostly the notion that DMs should be paid that is being argued against

I'm not even arguing against it as much as pointing out that it changes the Player/DM relationship to more Consumer/Provider and that has some implications.

Like would there be a DM Yelp?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Sure.

But in that case, I feel the same. If you cannot get a buddy to DM, then paying might be worth it to you. If not, don't.

And if you pay for a while, get the bug (how can you not) you might find that you or a buddy will bite the bullet and step it up and DM! You might have less need to pay.

Until then? If you want it, pay for it. I believe workers are worthy of being paid for what they do.

I can cook at home, but sometimes do not want to do so. I pay to eat at a restaurant. Similar in many ways. Sure, cooking should or could be a passion...but sometimes I just can't want to...

Just to be clear. You are suggesting DM for random strangers should be paid. But DM for friends should be unpaid?

I don't think anyone is talking about paying their buddies. AL is not a game with your friends though. It's a bunch of unrelated people who show up to an event, and there are just fewer people interested in being the DM than being a player. DM'ing for randos sounds like more work than fun, so no wonder they need to offer incentives to keep organized play running. An open game that the store organizes and runs would be a similar situation.

I disagree, many of the “DM should be paid” posts in this thread go beyond the limited case of AL in a store.

First, even in a store, a DM gets DM awards and experience points for DMing. Within the AL structure, they are being compensated. Plus, they get to play D&D and meet new players and get a chance to teach it to newer players. So, in the context of AL and normal D&D, they are getting paid.

Second, the game has been “monetized” from day 1. The rule books were made to be sold and it spread via the convention circuit and you needed to pay to play in a convention/tournament.

However, as I mentioned before, it is a game. Like almost all games, it is mainly played at home or in schools. Groups often form via clubs in HS and college. There is zero expectation to pay a DM in such games. Since the DM fronts the costs of most of the books and the adventures, players, as friends, often gift them the latest book or adventure, but no one pays a salary for it.

For people that cannot find a DM, and there’s is always a shortage, paying one to play has some attraction. For space in a store or a library or a game cafe or similar, a fee might be collected. In places in Asia where personal living quarters are cramped (I have lived in Singapore and Shanghai), public gaming spaces are even more important, especially after you graduate.

So I am not opposed to there being some cost to play and I am not opposed to a DM being paid, especially by a store to keep games happening on a regular basis. However, the strange fascination that some people have with somehow being a paid DM as a job path and that somehow this is normal and the supply of free DMs should be ignored is something I will never understand.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Just to be clear. You are suggesting DM for random strangers should be paid. But DM for friends should be unpaid?

Whatever the market will bear...

I think me cooking unpaid---for my family---is analogous to DMing for friends.

If you have a willing buddy to DM, why pay for a DM at a gamestore?

No conflict for me...I have even paid for gen con with hopes of playing D&D with people there...

DRF

First Post
If you have a willing buddy to DM, why pay for a DM at a gamestore?

Man, don't you see, this is exactly the problem. If you have a buddy willing to DM, why not support the poor guy now that he's investing so much time and money, and all you do is show up with your character on a sweat-stained sheet without knowing any of your own spells. That the DM enjoys preparing (which is true) is a weak argument against not helping him out in any way. Players are entitled and lazy.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Man, don't you see, this is exactly the problem. If you have a buddy willing to DM, why not support the poor guy now that he's investing so much time and money, and all you do is show up with your character on a sweat-stained sheet without knowing any of your own spells. That the DM enjoys preparing (which is true) is a weak argument against not helping him out in any way. Players are entitled and lazy.

Uh...

Speak for yourself?

I DM and play. So do my buddies. And we don't charge each other because we like sharing a hobby and having fun.

If someone is not that into it and needs to be paid to do it, sure, I will pay if I have no other choice. But I do, so I won't and I don't begrudge a person for asking if they can get it. Whatever floats your boat.

DMs are only worried about the bottom line! Dirty profit mongers! (see what I did there) :)

I'm not even arguing against it as much as pointing out that it changes the Player/DM relationship to more Consumer/Provider and that has some implications.

Like would there be a DM Yelp?

Yelp is garbage. I can guarantee 90% of reviews would be 5 stars or 1 stars. "DM came prepared with solid adventure, but wouldn't let me re-roll a saving throw even though the dice landed on some paper and maybe wobbled. WORST. DM. EVAR. Would give negative stars if I could!!"

Remove ads