The Monetization of D&D Play

It was probably done in jest but regardless, it would be best to remove to remove that last insinuation from your post don't ya think?
That is fair. You've never said you intend to take the entertainment of others despite their desire to be paid for it, only that entertainers should not be paid for their efforts in the first place (beyond a minor gratuity). I'll go ahead and remove it.

AngryTiger

Explorer
I would never pay to play D&D, nor would i charge anyone for running a game for them. While Dm:ing can be a lot of work, i wouldn't be doing it if i didn't enjoy it. Sure, some parts of the prep are sometimes pretty tedious, and i wish i someone would do them for me, but for most parts it's enjoyable.

But i also never play AL or game at public places, whole thing is so unpleasant for me you would have to pay me to participate. If people want to spend money to play in those events, it's no skin off my back.

I will continue to run and play my home games which will always be 100% free.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
That is fair. You've never said you intend to take the entertainment of others despite their desire to be paid for it, only that entertainers should not be paid for their efforts in the first place (beyond a minor gratuity). I'll go ahead and remove it.

I believe I am entertaining you with my posts on this forum. When are you going to start paying me?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I can't believe they charge money for food. I mean I NEED to eat. And I have to PAY for it?

Here is the deal. I don't pay because I play at home. Or a friend's house. Or something.

If that is not possible, then the game store would be providing real utility. If I simply cannot wrangle space and players, it is on me. If the store charges and it seems silly, don't pay it. However, they have a right to charge for use of their space.

I rented a space for my parent's wedding anniversary once. That to us was really important. A milestone of decades. But rest assured we PAID for it. It was important so we paid.

I guess the thing I don't get is why not complain about paying at the theater? I watch blockbusters at home on blu-ray, 90% of the time. If it is worth it to me, I will pay the premium to see it in a theater.

I personally cannot have it both ways. On the one hand I refuse to pay a higher price for books at an FLGS. I get em cheap on Amazon. No extra utility if I do not play in their store. Others seem to agree. And if the store offers something of value--space, networking, know how etc. good on them for making a buck doing it.

The FLGS has an uphill fight these days as do many retailers. If it important enough to complain about, it is important enough to pay for its use!

So many examples comparing paying a DM to watching a movie. Just not really the same.

D&D is a game, usually played by a group of friends. When you get together to play Risk at someone’s house, you are not going to pay them.

I don't think anyone is talking about paying their buddies. AL is not a game with your friends though. It's a bunch of unrelated people who show up to an event, and there are just fewer people interested in being the DM than being a player. DM'ing for randos sounds like more work than fun, so no wonder they need to offer incentives to keep organized play running. An open game that the store organizes and runs would be a similar situation.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I would never pay to play D&D, nor would i charge anyone for running a game for them. While Dm:ing can be a lot of work, i wouldn't be doing it if i didn't enjoy it. Sure, some parts of the prep are sometimes pretty tedious, and i wish i someone would do them for me, but for most parts it's enjoyable.

But i also never play AL or game at public places, whole thing is so unpleasant for me you would have to pay me to participate. If people want to spend money to play in those events, it's no skin off my back.

I will continue to run and play my home games which will always be 100% free.

If you didn't have a space to play (or other limitations, like young kids with bedtimes and gaming would be too loud), could you see you and your friends renting a space to play? Or maybe your players are scattered and you need a more geographically central place.

For example my library has soundproof rooms that you can rent for group meetings and such.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The group I run for refuses to let me contribute for pizza. I am living la vida loca!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I can't believe they charge money for food. I mean I NEED to eat. And I have to PAY for it?

Here is the deal. I don't pay because I play at home. Or a friend's house. Or something.

If that is not possible, then the game store would be providing real utility. If I simply cannot wrangle space and players, it is on me. If the store charges and it seems silly, don't pay it. However, they have a right to charge for use of their space.

I rented a space for my parent's wedding anniversary once. That to us was really important. A milestone of decades. But rest assured we PAID for it. It was important so we paid.

I guess the thing I don't get is why not complain about paying at the theater? I watch blockbusters at home on blu-ray, 90% of the time. If it is worth it to me, I will pay the premium to see it in a theater.

I personally cannot have it both ways. On the one hand I refuse to pay a higher price for books at an FLGS. I get em cheap on Amazon. No extra utility if I do not play in their store. Others seem to agree. And if the store offers something of value--space, networking, know how etc. good on them for making a buck doing it.

The FLGS has an uphill fight these days as do many retailers. If it important enough to complain about, it is important enough to pay for its use!

Maybe I missed it but most seemed fine with the concept of paying for space. It's mostly the notion that DMs should be paid that is being argued against

Remove ads