log in or register to remove this ad

 

The Mourning After (Horror) (IC)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mal curses softly when he sees Nisa signal him.

"Don't look now, but there's trouble," he says matter-of-factly to Tillington. "Three guys. One is a reptile, one is an addict. Friends of yours?"

Cautiously Maladiel grips his wand under the table, and he mutters a few arcane phrases. To anyone behind the gnome, it appears there is a big strong orc seated across from the half-elf, instead of Tillington.

"Be ready to jump aside at my instruction."

OOC: Mal insight: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12

Casting minor illusion just behind Tillington, to create an image of a sitting orc, visible to anyone behind the gnome (i.e. Mal can see Tillington just fine, but the trio will only see the image of an orc's back).

Also, Mal prepares to cast a spell if needed, so that when Tillington jumps aside he has a clear line of sight/effect.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"I hope not," Tillington answers matter-of factly.
He takes a quick look around for another exit.
He is ready to jump on Mal's instruction.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
GM:
Here is the current Map, pardon my poor MS paint skills.
Round 0.jpg
Because of their Insight, Malix and Ozzar can move up to their speed before anything else happens.
Ozzar is currently 30' south of the door.

 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Malix takes his beer mug and casualy strolls toward the nearest drunk.
"Come friend, we need another mug. To the bar!"

OOC: Not clear just now...are we already in the Mists? Or we're just travelling there and THEN it will be "The Misting" :)
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Shock and Awe. Round 1.

The tension in the air explodes, literally.

The Gnoll knocks over a table, forming a makeshift cover between it and whatever might come out from behind the back door. The Addict joins the Gnoll behind it. But strangest of all, the Reptile disrobes, instead of one large creature, it was three kobolds disguising themselves. Two of them hop down from standing on the third, and fling jars. One aims at the main door, igniting a patch of fire in the hopes of barring outside reinforcements. The other lands behind the bar, on the spirits shelf, causing the alcohol to erupt along the back walls.

The barkeep screams in pain from the flames eating at his back, and falls over behind the bar. From the backroom, Nisa screams in reply.

Tillington. AC: 14(16), HP 9/9, Passive Perception: 11, Spell Slots: 1(2/2)

Maladiel. AC: 12, HP 7/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spell Slots: 1(2/2)

Malix. AC: 17, HP: 10/10, Passive Perception: 15

Ozzar. AC: 16(18), HP 13/13, Passive Perception: 13

Nissa. AC: 10, HP 4/4 Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 14.

Barkeep. AC: 10, HP 0/4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 1

Drunks. AC: 10, HP 4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 2
D1 4/4 HP
D2 4/4 HP

Gnoll Hunter. AC: 13, HP: 22/22, Passive Perception: 13, Initiative: 5

Addict. AC: 10, HP: 13/13, Passive Perception 11, Initiative: 12

Kobold Underling x3. AC: 13, HP: 7, Passive Perception: 9, Initiative: 11
R1 HP:7/7
R2 HP:7/7
R3 HP:7/7

GM: Time to roll for initiative and take your turns! None of the PCs are surprised, so they have access to their reactions should they want to try something.
Round 1.jpg

Perception DC 12: The barkeep dropped a stone as he fell over. It landed in square E5

Moving into a square that is on fire causes 1d4 fire damage.

The windows are big enough for a medium sized creature to move through them if they break the glass. A glass window has an AC of 13 and 4 hp, or they may be broken with a DC 10 Athletics check.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Abandoning all pretense about helping the drunk get his beer, Malix moves toward one of the little critters. The one that just exploded the bar.
Dropping his own mug, Malix splashes some of the foam over his hand and as he swings the staff at the kobold, it almost slides out of his grasp.

"Hey, I'm drinking here! No burning of good alcohol! There are people to burn, not the drinks!"

Init: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

Move: to I5, avoiding OAs if needed
Action:
Quarterstaff attack vs R2; damage: 1D20+5 = [3]+5 = 8
1D8+3 = [1]+3 = 4
- figures, after good rolls come the bad ones :)
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tillington, slow to react wit the illusory shape of a halforc superimposed on him, turns and is caught flat-footed at the sudden commotion.

OOC: Initiative 1d20+2=5. Tied with the gnoll.
 


MetaVoid

Adventurer

Since he expected trouble (although not this intense), Ozzar blows The Horn of Watch Summoning and slams through the door instead of walking in. "Not the cheapest way to enter, but the innkeeper can thank me later for covering the fire."

Once inside, he quickly takes in the chaos "Wow, I didn't expect the blaze! This little one at the door is nothing!"
But aloud comes only "City Watch! Freeze! You're all under arrest!"
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Shock and Awe. Round 2.
The fire spreads across the bar and barkeep alike.
Malix attacks a Kobold as Ozzar bashes down the door to make his presence known.
Nissa opens the door from the back room, panic in her eyes and a dagger in hand, trying to make sense of what is going on.
"THE COPPERS?! WE WAS SET UP!!" Squeals one of the Kobolds as two of them scurry behind tables. Using their crossbows to shoot at the dwarf in the door. Both miss their mark thanks to the dawn at the dwarf's back.
The third Kobold turns it's sword against Malix. But likewise fails to land a strike.
The Addict chants a spell as blood drips from their nose, their eyes glowing purple as Nissa's glow in sync. The Hobgoblin lass returns to the backroom, jerkily, as if being moved by strings.
The Gnoll bounds to the other side of table. Snarling at the drunks and taking aim at Ozzar. His first shot misses, but the second lands true ( 9 Damage! )
Maladiel and Tillington sit in shock at the scene, unsure of what course of action to take.
The Drunks, spurred on by the fire, and a bloodthirsty gnoll sizing them up, make a mad dash for the windows. One of them breaks a window and jumps outside. The other tripped over themselves on the way to the wall.

Malix. AC: 17, HP: 10/10, Passive Perception: 15, Initiative 20

Ozzar. AC: 16(18), HP 4/13, Passive Perception: 13 Initiative: 20

Maladiel. AC: 12, HP 7/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spell Slots: 1(2/2) Initiative 6

Tillington. AC: 14(16), HP 9/9, Passive Perception: 11, Spell Slots: 1(2/2) Initiative 5

Nissa. AC: 10, HP 4/4 Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 14. (Charmed)

Barkeep. AC: 10, HP 0/4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 1 (On fire)

Drunks. AC: 10, HP 4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 2
D1 4/4 HP
D2 4/4 HP (Jumped out window)

Gnoll Hunter. AC: 13, HP: 22/22, Passive Perception: 13, Initiative: 5

Addict. AC: 10, HP: 13/13, Passive Perception 11, Initiative: 12

Kobold Underling x3. AC: 13, HP: 7, Passive Perception: 9, Initiative: 11
R1 HP:7/7
R2 HP:7/7
R3 HP:7/7


GM:
Round 2.jpg
@MetaVoid Roll 1d3 for your backup.
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
Watch backup: 1D3 = [1] = 1

"Urk!"
The bold effectively stopped the watchdwarf and he motioned to the fleeing drunks that the way is open.
He throws one of his axes, the weapons slamming into the gnoll that hit him.
"That's what you get when you play with pointy stuff!"
Ozzar takes cover behind the wall, leaving the broken door behind him. He blows into the horn again.
"Surrender immediately so we can get the fire under control! Or you will burn with the rest!"

 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
As the fire breaks out, and the cloaked figure breaks into three, Tillington scrambles to reach for his crossbow. But he's sitting down, and the first quarrel he grabs falls to the ground. He reaches for another.

OOC: Attack: 1d20+3=4 FUMBLE.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Malix looks behind him at the inferno. His masked face doesn't change, but new resolve strengthens his swing and the staff thuds solidly into his small opponent sending him flying.

Malix tries to slide onto the bar to get to the barman without getting into the fire, but his low build makes it hard to reach to the floor and get the man out.

OOC: feel free to make DC to get the man out 9 or less, I'll gladly change the description :p


 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Shock and Awe. Round 3.

Ozzar lands a blow on the Gnoll and continues to blow his horn.

A guard responds to the the Watchdwarf's call. "What in Kyber is going on here!?" Before loading up his crossbow and taking cover on the opposite side of the door.

Malix brains one of the kobolds and tries a daring rescue, but the roaring flames block his progress.

Nissa lurches from the backroom, covered in burns, and hands a pouch over to the addict.

The Addict in turn redirects their magical power unto Malix ( DC 13 Wisdom or be Charmed ). Then runs across the room in the direction of the broken window, taking cover behind the nearby table. "Chib, this is getting sour!"

One of the Kobolds smashes a window, and jumps out of the building yipping. The other has no choice but to run accross the room and drop to the floor (Prone). The window near them is covered in flames, and one of the patrons on that side of the room pulled out a crossbow.

Maladiel, spurred on by the scene unfolding and his companion tacking action, sends a spike of mental energy into the Gnoll.

The gnoll fires two arrows back in return, one landing, knocking Maladiel out cold. Then retreats back to the other table with the Addict. "Just get out of here and back to the safehouse later!"

Tillington readies their crossbow, but drops a bolt.

The other drunk successfully escapes the room.

The barkeep is lit on fire, it is doubtful you would be able to do anything more than haul out his body at this point.

Malix. AC: 17, HP: 10/10, Passive Perception: 15, Initiative 20

Ozzar. AC: 16(18), HP 4/13, Passive Perception: 13 Initiative: 20

Guard. AC: 14, HP 11/11, Passive Perception: 12. Initiative: 19

Maladiel. AC: 12, HP 0/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spell Slots: 1(2/2) Initiative 6
Death Saves/Failures: 0/0
(Unconscious)
(Incapacitated)
(Prone)

Tillington. AC: 14(16), HP 9/9, Passive Perception: 11, Spell Slots: 1(2/2) Initiative 5

Nissa. AC: 10, HP 1/4 Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 14.


Barkeep. AC: 10, HP 0/4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 1
(On fire, dead.)

Drunks. AC: 10, HP 4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 2
D1 4/4 HP (Jumped out window)
D2 4/4 HP (Jumped out window)

Gnoll Hunter. AC: 13 (15 with Cover), HP: 10/22, Passive Perception: 13, Initiative: 5
(Half Cover)
(- 1d4 on their next save)

Addict. AC: 10 (12 with cover), HP: 13/13, Passive Perception 11, Initiative: 12
(Half Cover)

Kobold Underling x3. AC: 13, HP: 7, Passive Perception: 9, Initiative: 11
R1 HP:7/7 (Escaped)
R2 HP: 0/0 (Dead)
R3 HP:7/7 (Prone)


GM: A guard has been summoned successfully!
The enemy has been convinced to stop fighting, but not to give up.
@Neurotic Malix needs to make a DC 13 Wisdom save, or fall under the effect of Charm Person.
@JustinCase Ouch, sorry about that. Time to make some death saves.
Round 3.jpg
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Save vs Charm: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15

Malix feels the magic trying to worm its way inside his head, He shakes it off, looks at the barkeep once more and decides his own body needs him more than the barkeep needs his.

"Guards! The kobolds killed the barkeep and the gnoll killed one of the patrons! He is a caster of some sort! The gnome and me, a dwarf, are only patrons! The waitress is a hobgoblin, don't shoot her!"

Seeing another of the patrons go down he rushes toward the pair.
"Nissa, on me! Guards, we're coming out of the window on your left. Don't shoot!"

Rushing there, he quickly secures the bolt wound and grabs the body.
"Gnome, bash the window!"


He thinks to himself
"At least they are not here for me! And look at me, making a spectacle of myself. It is bad enough to be questioned by the Watch, attracting this much attention cannot be good. But burning or getting shot by mistake is even less appealing."
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
"I noticed suspicious characters entering the premises. Before I could enter, the mayhem started. The bar is burning and the fire might spread. I am hit by the gnoll inside."
Ozzar reports before calling out inside:
"Citizen, remain inside if you're safe! Villains, drop your weapons and come out with your hands raised!"

He then continues again in a lower tone of voice
"Get the firefighters and medics. And find a patrol! Go!"
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tillington reloads a bolt into his crossbow and aims it at the gnoll, hiding behind the table. It is the gnoll that just shot Maladiel, and Tillington isn't having it.

He raises the bow, fires, and sees his bolt connect with his foe. He then moves around the table he was sitting at to help Maladiel.

OOC: On init 5:
Attack vs gnoll: 1d20+3=16. Hit; damage = 1d8+2=10 piercing.
If there is no one beside him, then move to Maladiel, otherwise stay put.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Maladiel didn't see the arrow in time to jump aside, and he is dropped into darkness.

Only vaguely does he hear the noise around him, and feel the heat on his skin. It is all far away, fading quickly...

OOC:
GM: @JustinCase Ouch, sorry about that. Time to make some death saves.
No problem, that's alway a risk when away from the game. :)

Death save: 1D20 = [2] = 2

Success: 0/3
Failed: 1/3
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Shock and Awe. Round 4.

Malix grabs Maladiel's unconscious body and gets ready to escape.

Ozzar fills the guard in on the situation, who promptly leaves to find more support.

Nissa, clearly in shock from the chaos, blankly tears off a piece of her burnt dress, and uses it to staunch Maladiel's wound. "No, no, no..."

The Addict makes a jump out of the window. Followed by the remaining live kobold.

The Gnoll tries to make the jump, but is caught by Tillington's bolt in the window. His body slumps over in the window frame, blocking it.

The fire has burned enough decor, liquor, and bodies to smoke and poison the air.

Malix. AC: 17, HP: 10/10, Passive Perception: 15, Initiative 20

Ozzar. AC: 16(18), HP 4/13, Passive Perception: 13 Initiative: 20

Guard. AC: 14, HP 11/11, Passive Perception: 12. Initiative: 19

Maladiel. AC: 12, HP 0/7, Passive Perception: 14, Spell Slots: 1(2/2) Initiative 6
(Unconscious)
(Incapacitated)
(Prone)
(Stable)

Tillington. AC: 14(16), HP 9/9, Passive Perception: 11, Spell Slots: 1(2/2) Initiative 5

Nissa. AC: 10, HP 1/4 Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 14.


Barkeep. AC: 10, HP 0/4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 1
(On fire, dead.)

Drunks. AC: 10, HP 4, Passive Perception: 10, Initiative 2
D1 4/4 HP (Jumped out window)
D2 4/4 HP (Jumped out window)

Gnoll Hunter. AC: 13 (15 with Cover), HP: 0/22, Passive Perception: 13, Initiative: 5
(Dead)

Addict. AC: 10 (12 with cover), HP: 13/13, Passive Perception 11, Initiative: 12
(Escaped)

Kobold Underling x3. AC: 13, HP: 7, Passive Perception: 9, Initiative: 11
R1 HP:7/7 (Escaped)
R2 HP: 0/0 (Dead)
R3 HP:7/7 (Escaped)

Nissa medicine check.
medicine check: 1D20 = [19] = 19

GM: The fighting part of the fight is over. The only question that remains is how soon will you escape.
 
Last edited:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top