The Mourning After (Horror) (IC)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Malix takes a quick look around for another something to grab, but doesn't waste time on it unless it is in his way out.
He follows the group warily, keeping an eye outward and memorizing the way wherever they are going, noticing city features, trying to find traces of Volstrucker network, hideouts, thieves guild and other useful 'features'.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
3rd of Zarantyr, 998 YK. Late Afternoon.
SE of the Vermishard of Blood ( AKA: The Kennels), Northshore District, Metrol, Cyre (?)

As sirens blair in the background, a gloomy rain welcomes you to your freedom. It reminds you of home, and will cover your tracks against the Vadalis Hounds. For a time, at least.

Lazharis guides the party though an ever twisting maze of streets and back alleys, where the posters hung on every wall offer a much more sinister greeting.

DO YOUR DUTY
THE QUEEN WILL SAVE US
DANNEL IS WATCHING

queenwatch.png

Blatant propaganda, the likes of which you haven’t seen since The War, since The Mourning. The event that rocked the world, blowing Cyre off the map. Or so you had thought.

After a while, you all arrive at a house, it looks more red than blue. Lazharis uses the buzzer, then knocks on the door in a rhythmic pattern. A small slit in one of the windows on the second floor opens, followed by the door itself.

Inside you find Vesile, and a human man. Who beckons you to come inside out of the rain. "Good to see they didn't take you out!"

Once inside, they offer everyone a seat at a large table. “We have a few questions for you.” The Hobgoblin says. “Who, exactly, are you? And where have you been hiding all this time?”

Ozzar bristles at the goblinoid
"WE weren't hiding. Looks like you are the ones hiding!"
But calms as he realizes that nothing from his former life doesn't make sense here. He shrugs
"Something happened."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Even though the surroundings are unfamiliar, Maladiel feels at least a bit better as Vesile and the man start interrogating them. The backroom diplomacy of his former life is not too dissimilar from this very situation, and the half-elf finds himself donning his most pleasant smile again.

"We are the friends you need, even if you didn't know before. We are the investigators, the fixers, the ones who help people in need, and even though I never expected to be here --wherever 'here' is-- we were investigating disappearances before ending up here."

He pauses for dramatic effect, then continues, "My name is Maladiel, and this holiday trip is far more exciting than I had promised my friends. But here we are, and a good thing too, with that bird monster about to eat us all up!"

The arch of an eyebrow subtly reminds Vesile that if it wasn't for them, she wouldn't have been here, either.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Lazharis watched the newcomers quietly. They were an odd bunch, which he liked, but he wasn't entirely sure that there weren't some Shepherds hidden among them. This whole thing could be an elaborate plot to finish off this cell of the Unbroken. He thought wryly to himself, they'll find this cell is just about finished off already.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Malix slides through the door and remains there, half-hidden in the shadows of the room, standing so that anyone opening the door will have a nasty surprise from behind. He listens to the talk and observes their hosts, but says nothing.

OOC: Insight and Perception +5 and Investigation +0 if needed

Hades#2

Explorer
Xian quietly entered the room with the others. They might be safe, for now. It was possible their captors had spies planted in this new group or in the group that escaped with them.
"I am Xian. My journey started with a trip to Gatherhold. We were talking to a member of House Vadalis and next I know I wake up in some sort of prison. Can you assist in providing additional information as to why we, and others , were in a prison? It is highly irregular!"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Lazharis gave Xian a look. There was nothing irregular about being abducted to the Vadalis Kennels. The event had become all too common.

"You were taken by the Queen's decree, same as the rest of us." explained Lazharis with no hint of emotion, "Do you not remember?"

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Gatherhold?" The man questions, studding Xian's face for a moment. With a bit of a surprised face, he turns to Vesile "Have your friends sit at the table, I'll get the grub." Before he disappears into another room.

GM: Insight DC 10: There is a twinge of unease about the man, as if he had just stumbled upon a great secret.
Lazharis: You recognize this cant, it means he believes Xian to be telling the truth, as strange as someone coming from anywhere outside the city sounds.
Nature check DC 5: You see a small grey bird kept in a cage in the next room.
Nature check DC 10: The bird is a messenger pigeon, and a magebred one to boot.

The Hobgoblin takes a seat at the table, while motioning for everyone to join her. "How long have you been asleep then? What day do you think it is?"

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Maladiel simply tells them the date, outwardly confident but unsure beneath his facade.

"It seems you are as surprised as us about being taken here, although apparently for varying reasons," his voice more softly and serious as the half-elf attempts to make some sense about this mess.

"What queen has issued a decree that says Sharn residents can be abducted while on holiday at Gatherhold? House Vadalis has no such title; none of the laths* would dare go that far; and all would think twice before going against allies of House Ghallandra or Clan Boromir. Not only would that cause a diplomatic riot, it goes directly against the Treaty of Thronehold!"

He sighs, still standing despite the invitation to sit. Instead he points to the next room and with a voice much darker than before, asks the man, "And why, pray tell, does he own a magebred pidgeon while those Vadalis abominations just tried to kill and eat us?"

OOC: * Laths are Talenta halfling tribe leaders, the Eberron wiki told me. ;)

Insight: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10
Nature: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
Ha! The thing Maladiel is good at (insight) he rolls terrible for (although just enough), but nature, which is as far from him as can be, he aces! :)

Edited post to adjust not talking to a man that isn't in the room anymore. Guess I missed that part. Now Maladiel is just talking to Vesile and you guys.

Last edited:

Remove ads