D&D 5E The multiclass cleric-cleric (aka the follower of two gods)

Strictly by the rules, a character cannot multiclass twice in the same class. So if you are sticking to the rules, this new god would need to also have followers in other classes, like maybe druid, in order to stay a cleric of the old god and still get powers from the new god. Of course, as the DM, you are free to change or break the rules as you feel fits the story.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

A quick detail about the setting: There are *hundreds* of gods worshiped in the Yellow City, some with several thousand devoted followers, others with but a few dozens. They all hunger for worship and especially sacrifice: Without such the gods grow weak and lose the capacity to grant spells and other miracles.

The holy men and women of the yellow city tend to their gods by performing the proper rites and ensuring a steady flow of sacrifice. Anything with the spark of life will do, although each deity has its own preference. Yato, hoarder of secrets, demands the sacrifice of hands, while the Memory Tree wishes for its roots to be watered by blood.

The Beetle of mislaid Memories prefers the burning of paper and parchment. However, the first sacrifice to it was the cleric's servant crushing a small bug on the altar...

Maybe the servant should be the one getting powers....

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A quick detail about the setting: There are *hundreds* of gods worshiped in the Yellow City, some with several thousand devoted followers, others with but a few dozens. They all hunger for worship and especially sacrifice: Without such the gods grow weak and lose the capacity to grant spells and other miracles.
Then isn't this Tree god going to get a bit jacked that his previously-devoted cleric is now sharing his faith with another?

Depends how jealous/competitive/nasty your gods are, I suppose. I could easily see the cleric's original god "excommunicating" (or worse!) the cleric if this receipt of powers from another rival deity is any more than a one-shot deal. A story-based switch of faith from one to another makes loads of sense; but trying to hang on to both...well...hmmm....

Lan-"the 'Beetle of Mislaid Memories' sounds like a deity of things done in a Volkswagen that are now best forgotten"-efan

S

Sunseeker

The Memory Tree is their current god? I would posit then, any lesser deity related to the mind or memories would probably be acceptable. The best solution would of course be to check with his current deity, or some intermediary between him and his god. Depending on if the Memory Tree feels that the Beetle of Mislaid Memories is stepping on his toes, or just representing another aspect of memories.

Maybe the cleric could convince the Beetle to become a follower of the Tree. What better worshiper than a subservient god?

As far as what would that gain him? I'd give him the other domain, if another memory-related deity even has another domain. There are certain times when gaining domains is nothing but a power grab. This doesn't sound like one of those times.

There are several instances in D&D where worshiping multiple gods is fitting, and in real-world history. Depending on what you wanted. Aries never handled crops, and Demeter didn't handle the Sun. There are certainly some gods who try to be "all gods" and encompass everything, but the whole reason D&D deities even have domains is because none of them represent everything. They all represent a few related aspects of the world, and leave the other aspects to other gods.

Oh, and I generally wouldn't have him multiclass two different types of clerics. It'd be redundant and silly.

If the dieties care more about the sacrifices and rituals than followers, then I'd say as long as the cleric is taking the time to do their devotions, there shouldn't be a problem story wise.

Maybe adding more time to their daily devotion time as a requirement to access the Beetle's spells/abilities would make sense as well.

Sent from my 404SC using EN World mobile app

Remove ads