• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Multiverse is back....

Aldarc

Legend
See my above comments about Hinduism and Shinto. Even in Greek and Norse mythology (often cited as examples for chaos = evil), the titans and the jotnar aren't really depicted as evil per se (and indeed there's a lot of speculation that some of the more demonic characterizations of such are modifications by later writers).
Modifications to texts seem kinda immaterial since it becomes a part of the tradition. Textus receptus and all that.

Good vs. evil and law vs. chaos are different kinds of conflicts, so they affect the characters in different ways.
The reasoning is that the good vs. evil conflict predominates over the chaos vs. law conflict in the vast majority of games. We may say that the chaos vs. law conflict is a different sort of conflict, but it's frequently relegated to a second-class concern for most campaigns and players. It's much like someone was saying many pages ago about how demons and devils are conflated as identical in the popular consciousness. For many new players, demons and devils may as well just be 'fiends' who represent evil that must be vanquished. Demon is terrorizing and destroying things? How do most players react? "Oh, no! Evil!" and not "Oh, no! Chaos!" Devil is oppressing and tyrannizing things? How do most players react? "Oh, no! Evil" and not "Oh, no! Law!" It's not as if I ever really see a CG player character say to a CE demon, "I see your point about this issue in regards to chaos."

Sadras

Legend
But it's very hard to get a planar reference that isn't steeped in The Planes. Even the mentioned MotP is still about 75% The Planes.

This is a valid complaint. I think we have gone a full circle with this, as I remember you having mentioned this a good couple of pages ago - and it might have been Remathilis or someone else (I haven't done the homework of checking) that mentioned that it might not be commercially viable for WoTC to pursue what you and others like you desire. Perhaps they are wrong on that account.
Sadly I don't think the 5e Planes manual will cater to the needs of people who enjoy a non-established planes setting. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
I would purchase the planes book regardless if its generic or established as I'm looking to introduce the planes in our 5e campaign. I'm personally not that tied to Planescape as I haven't really had the opportunity to play in that setting and haven't read enough of the lore yet from the earlier editions.

Nivenus

First Post
Modifications to texts seem kinda immaterial since it becomes a part of the tradition. Textus receptus and all that.

It's not immaterial at all as it's directly relevant to my main point with Shinto and Hinduism: chaos is not always equated with evil and order with good, even within real-world religions.

The reasoning is that the good vs. evil conflict predominates over the chaos vs. law conflict in the vast majority of games. We may say that the chaos vs. law conflict is a different sort of conflict, but it's frequently relegated to a second-class concern for most campaigns and players.

Right, but I think that has more to do with our cultural backdrop than it does with the game itself. I admit players will generally default to thinking in good vs. evil terms. It can be fun, however, to put players out of their comfort zone and have them think in more law vs. chaos terms.

It's much like someone was saying many pages ago about how demons and devils are conflated as identical in the popular consciousness.

That was me actually :p .

For many new players, demons and devils may as well just be 'fiends' who represent evil that must be vanquished. Demon is terrorizing and destroying things? How do most players react? "Oh, no! Evil!" and not "Oh, no! Chaos!" Devil is oppressing and tyrannizing things? How do most players react? "Oh, no! Evil" and not "Oh, no! Law!" It's not as if I ever really see a CG player character say to a CE demon, "I see your point about this issue in regards to chaos."

Generally not, I agree. However, I certainly think it's possible to write a scenario that way, particularly if your choice between letting a LE villains or a CE villain win (or more subtly, a LN antagonist vs. a CN antagonist). I actually kind of like those "no 100% right answer" problems that a non-binary morality system (like the nine alignments) provides.

Mr Fixit

Explorer

The reasoning is that the good vs. evil conflict predominates over the chaos vs. law conflict in the vast majority of games. We may say that the chaos vs. law conflict is a different sort of conflict, but it's frequently relegated to a second-class concern for most campaigns and players. It's much like someone was saying many pages ago about how demons and devils are conflated as identical in the popular consciousness. For many new players, demons and devils may as well just be 'fiends' who represent evil that must be vanquished. Demon is terrorizing and destroying things? How do most players react? "Oh, no! Evil!" and not "Oh, no! Chaos!" Devil is oppressing and tyrannizing things? How do most players react? "Oh, no! Evil" and not "Oh, no! Law!" It's not as if I ever really see a CG player character say to a CE demon, "I see your point about this issue in regards to chaos."

I would like to point that this is maybe a product of DMs and players being too set in their ways sometimes? Or maybe it's that D&D, as a predominantly heroic sword&sorcery game, isn't really all that well-suited to address the finer points of morality.

That said, I don't see why a given campaign couldn't focus on law vs chaos, in a grounded if not cosmological approach. Our history and our present are full of examples of "law" siding with each other against "chaos" irrespective of their commitment to other values, such as good or evil. Institutions are almost always devoted to order because it is on this order that they base their strength and influence. A force for change, especially one that is willing to sacrifice much to achieve it, is probably devoted to chaos (as it pertains to the current order). All these things make for some strange bedfellows.

I recently played Witcher, a great RPG game set in a world that's a very close analogue to medieval Europe. Feuding kingdoms ruled by monarchs, some kinder and fairer than others, sorceress lodges operating in tandem or in opposition to state factors according to some inscrutable long-term plans, demihuman races (elves and dwarves) that are second-class citizens blamed for everything one can get away with, and that turn to very bloody and indiscriminate terrorism against humans in pursuit of supposedly noble goals (freedom from oppression), religious knightly orders publicly devoted to good and charity--tenets many of their members do sincerely uphold--while rotten leadership secretly plots pogroms and coups. And poor little witchers, devoted to neutrality, in the middle of all this shitstorm. This is not a world of good and evil, though some factors are surely more sympathetic and "good" than others. If we were to translate this world to D&D parlance, it's primarily a conflict between order and chaos, old world and new world, where you're not exactly sure who's good and who's evil.

Or to borrow a page from another popular modern fantasy saga, A Song of Ice and Fire. When Robert, Ned, Tywin and others overthrew the Mad King Aerys 15 years before the start of the main plot, that too could be framed as law vs chaos, just as easily as good vs evil. On the side of the "good guys", you had scumbags that were willing to do whatever it took (Tywin Lannister, for example; the new "good" king even married Tywin's daughter after the Rebellion. If that's not inviting a devil in your bed for the best of intentions, I don't know what is), just like on the "evil" side of the Mad King you had extremely noble and upright guys like ser Arthur Dayne or even the crown prince Rhaegar Targaryen. You could say that the conflict started because of Rhaegar's acts that completely destabilised the realm (the alleged abduction of Lyanna) and that were "chaotic" rather than "evil", since they endangered a delicate balance of power in a feudal system.

Two nobles, one evil and one good, but both representing feudal order that empowers them, are very likely to stand together and support each other in the face of a peasant or urban-class uprising (chaos) that threatens to destroy the very system they rely on. And among those peasants, you'll have good guys who want lower taxes and more responsibility from their lords, and you'll have bad guys who use the situation to their own ends.

I'd say that law vs chaos is intrinsically more political than good vs evil and requires the focus of the campaign to shift quite a bit from usual (and expected) tropes of heroic fiction. But I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong in presenting both axes as worthy of exploring in a game setting.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I find dnd to be a poor fit for law vs chaos. It's a much better fit for straight up fantasy. I think there are better systems out thee that could deal ethical issues better. Fate comes to mind.

To me, the alignment system just makes any attempt to use Dnd for morality play a farce. But I also admit that this is my own failing.

Imaro

Legend
It doesn't seem that way to me. I think that D&D tends to focus primarily on the Good vs. Evil axis. It's why there's a bigger issue for DMs with an evil party or an evil player than having a chaotic party (or chaotic player, unless CN). The assumptions of gameplay usually lean towards good vs. evil. The same is true with Planescape, the Great Wheel, and the Blood War. When I explain to other people about the Blood War, sure it's Law vs. Chaos, but for many people I talk about this with, it's clumped together as "it's all evil to me."

So is it that D&D focuses on Good vs. Evil or is it that player's/DM's conception of (heroic) fantasy shape how they view D&D, causing them to put less importance on the Law vs. Chaos axis and to feel more comfortable exploring the conflict between the Good and Evil axis since that may be what they are more familiar with? I find that D&D presents all the tools one needs to explore either conflict (and even some of it's settings (Planescape and Greyhawk come to mind) have it built in as a major theme so I'm not sure how your assertion that it focuses on good and evil is true... I mean you're basically saying the Blood War is framed as a Chaos vs. Law conflict but with the wrong (in the sense that they are not familiar with the tropes of Law vs. Chaos or uninterested in exploring it) players the Blood War is often classified as just evil. that doesn't seem like it's the D&D focus that seems as if it's the playgroup focus being firmly on good vs. evil...

Real world mythologies do conflate order with good and chaos with evil. Sure Moorcock does not, but that's because Balance is usually preferred, which would be the preferred neutrality of the Prime in 4E. ;)

Yes but we weren't speaking to real world religions we were talking to the Moorcockian struggle of Law vs. Chaos and one of the most important themes in his books is that neither is good or evil... otherwise you're right back at the good vs. evil axis instead of law vs. chaos. Also, there is no neutral alignment (at least not in the sense that Moorcock presents it as a conscious balancing between the forces of law and chaos)... there is unaligned which is more a disinterest in the cosmological forces than a championing of an equilibrium between law and chaos.

What is redeeming about chaos? For many real world religions and mythologies, there is a much greater emphasis on law than on chaos, with chaos being an undesirable state indicative of the lack of civilization, law, and order. For many religions, the lines have always been blurred when it comes to law and good or evil and chaos. Think about how there are so many threads delving into how the CN character is playing like he's CE though less CN characters playing like CG. Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of 4E's alignment system, though I do prefer it's conflation of NE with LE as E and CG with NG as G, but that's mainly because my own experience typically saw those paired alignments played mostly identical in actual narrative play. My own preference is a lack of alignments entirely.

Again, why are we talking about real world religions when the discussion was about Moorcockian cosmology? Your assertion was that 4e and it's axis cosmology put the law vs. chaos conflict in the forefront as opposed to the Great Wheel and Planescape... and my assertion was that it just dressed up the good vs. evil conflict as law vs. chaos... instead of showing why that isn't true and strengthening your assertion... you instead seem to now be saying that's ok. Which is fine but not similar to the conflict as presented in Moorcockian cosmology which was what we were initially talking about. I'm finding it hard to understand how your further posts address that... If the conversation has changed to real world religions as opposed to Moorcockian cosmology let's make that clear...

What is there to debate? That's what it is in the biblical texts.

That the actual word used is not chaos but void... and that can mean the absence of everything even chaos... but again I don't want to get into a debate about real world religion.

Arioch, I would argue was portrayed as mostly kind of evil.

Yes, and the Lady of Pain has hints of evil, though she is a balancing factor in Sigil... her methods certainly wouldn't be classified as "good". She is Arioch if he were a lord of Balance as opposed to Chaos...

Stormbringer itself was a demon of chaos, but unquestionably evil. Law was portrayed as occasionally evil as well, but that's mostly because Moorcock's system was that anything in excess was harmful. Moorcock also doesn't have an evil vs. good axis, so that's where the Great Wheel and Planescape utterly fail as well. The good vs. evil axis in D&D strips away a substantial amount of the moral ambiguity for many players, and most rational people, that could exist if it was simply law vs. chaos.

Well now you seem to be claiming that Planescape isn't a carbon copy of the Moorcockian cosmology, which I never claimed it was. It's the D&D cosmology, which is Moorcockian in nature. Yes there is good and evil... just as there is good and evil in his worlds, even if it's not an explicit cosmological force... the point is the nine point alignment allows for the combinations of law/evil/chaos/good/neutrality that we see presented in his stories and the moral ambiguity is again built into Planescape when it comes to good and evil... it's the setting where an angel and a devil can sit in a tavern and have a drink together...

The Lady of Pain is no Arioch. She's a plot device masquerading as a character, kind of like Ao is for the Realms.

Yes, and Arioch is a plot device for Elric... not sure this is really a valid point... who ever claimed The Lady of Pain was a "character"?

Which is why I said that the Factions remind me of privileged undergrads fapping to the sounds of the voices. The plot is too ideological but without the personal stakes of real people of the Prime.

You make a statement with no reasoning to back it up... the specific conflicts ingrained in most of the factions are all about the personal stakes of real people... And since it's a planar setting... why should it be centered around the prime? Again taking the Moorcock stories as an example, the Eternal Champion cycle isn't ever really about one world but about the punishment of a character (The Eternal Champion) and the effects it has throughout the Multiverse as a whole...

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
I find dnd to be a poor fit for law vs chaos. It's a much better fit for straight up fantasy. I think there are better systems out thee that could deal ethical issues better. Fate comes to mind. .

You've piqued my interest... I have Fate and I've played it... so what makes Fate an inherently better fit for law vs. chaos?

pemerton

Legend
I don't believe in moral absolutism (to a certain extent; I do think certain things are clearly good and evil) and perceive law and chaos as alignments to be as much about how you view yourself in relation to society as they are about what you believe to be morally right or wrong.
The D&D 9-point alignment system is predicated on a type of absolutism. Within the system, there is no scope for the goodness of one person to be relative to the moral outlook of another person who is making the judgement as to the first person's goodness. Archons on Mt Celestia, devils in Hell, demons in the Abyss - all are committed to agreeing that the eladrin and titans on Olympus are fully good and fully chaotic.

I think it's entirely possible to see someone as mostly good but not necessarily wholly good.
This may be true, but is orthogonal to my point. In D&D, a CG character who is mostly good but not wholly good is CG(N). This is the position, for instance, of the einheriar on Ysgard.

My point is that when a LG character casts Know Alignment or Detect Good (depending on edition) on a CG character, the fact that the character is chaotic has no bearing on how good that character is (and hence no bearing on the result from the spell).

In other words, a LG character who denies that a CG character is fully good is, within the parameters of the D&D alignment system, making a mistake. The LG character is, in fact, committed to the incoherent position that the CG character is both fully good yet morally inadequate.

Good, evil, law, and chaos all represent fairly different things in D&D's cosmology, which means there's no real conflict in having all four. Good and evil are the conflict between benevolence and charity over malice and selfishness. Law and chaos are (when taken beyond human-scale characters) representative of the conflict between stability and stasis vs. change and destruction.
Suppose this is true - which is contentious in respect of law/chaos (eg no one has ever explained to me whether the preference of the authors of the US Constitution for securing personal freedom via the rule of law makes them lawful or chaotic) - it doesn't answer the point.

A LG character, in D&D, is committed to regarding a CG character as wrong, as having made a morally impermissible choice, and yet as fully good.

Is breaking a promise selfish (and hence evil)? Or chaotic? In all the actual literature on promises, both philosophical and legal (where it is often mediated through analysis of the law of contract), it is taken for granted that the reasons in favour of, or against, promise-keeping are not orthogonal to the reasons that speak to human well-being, but are among those reasons. The idea that you can prise judgements about the merits of stability and change from judgements about human welfare is a conceit found nowhere but in D&D's alignment system.

treating "Law" and "Good" as different is like trying to say that "True" is different from "Good": if you are going to have a Realist metaphysics, doesn't make much sense.
Even within a value pluralist framework, it doesn't make much sense.

It might be that there are multiple valuable ways in which to pursue goodness and truth; but if that is true, then a person who pursues goodness to X degree and truth to Y degree has no rational basis for criticising someone who pursues goodness to Y degree and truth to X degree. Within a pluralist framework, both options are permissible.

But the LG person, in D&D, is committed to thinking that the CG person is wrong. Hence, has made a non-permissible choice. Yet is wholly good. That is the incoherence.

I will say, however, that it's workable as metaphysics too, particularly if you have a non-dualistic outlook in things.
Not really, for the reason I just gave.

It's true that few (if any) real-world cosmologies present D&D's particular schema of good vs. evil and law vs. chaos. There are, however, quite a few that do not associate good with law (order) or evil with chaos. Hinduism, for example, puts the forces of destruction on more less equal moral ground with the forces of stability
Sure. Similarly, there are real-world moral and religious systems that have different views on the moral merits of same-sex relationships, of women's emancipation, of eating meat, etc. That doesn't show that these things full under some evaluative classification that is orthogonal to good and evil. They just show that there are differing opinions on what is good and what evil.

But the D&D alignment system doesn't deal with this. In the real world, a person who thinks that changes is good and stasis bad doesn't agree with the person who thinks that order is the most important thing. For instance, the hippies think that the 1960s FBI is morally flawed; and vice versa. Whereas in the D&D alignment system, the CG hippies are forced to concede that the LG FBI is fully good; and vice versa.

But it's a bit odd to say it's "untenable" when metaphysics as a field is entirely based on largely untestable principles (which is why it is philosophy and not science).
Some philosophical positions are untenable. I mean, I guess it's possible that Gygax hit upon some insight of moral analysis that has eluded every serious moral and political philosopher before and since. But it seems to me to be pretty unlikely.

I think that D&D tends to focus primarily on the Good vs. Evil axis.
I think this is generally true. Like you, I think that the game is best without alignment.

But whereas I find the 9-point alignment system hopeless, for the reasons I've given, I think that spectrum alignment of the Law-Chaos variety, as found in classic D&D and 4e, is basically harmless. The spectrum presents a cosmological strugge. The players can choose where their PCs align themselves on the spectrum. The framework doesn't have the effect of the 9-point system, of forcing characters to acknowledge that others to whom they oppose nevertheless fully realise some value(s) to which those character are committed.

Our history and our present are full of examples of "law" siding with each other against "chaos" irrespective of their commitment to other values, such as good or evil.
I'm curious as to what examples you have in mind, although I appreciate that board rules probably constrain your capacity to elaborate.

But there are no real world people or countries I can think of who conceive of themselves as committed to evil. Exampes of classic alliances, such as between the USSR and the liberal democracies during the Second World War, were conceived of at the time as alliances in pursuit of good things against bad things. Compromises were seen in terms of lesser evils (eg both liberal democracy and Soviet communism are enlightenment ideologies, in opposition to the anti-enlightenment ideals of the fascists and national socialists).

Imaro

Legend
@pemerton... I think the flaw in your argument is you claim that having "good" as part of your alignment makes you good in an absolute sense... yet the definition of alignment in 3.5 doesn't support that conclusion...

Alignment
A creature’s general moral and personal attitudes are represented by its alignment: lawful good, neutral good, chaotic good, lawful neutral, neutral, chaotic neutral, lawful evil, neutral evil, or chaotic evil.

Alignment is a tool for developing your character’s identity. It is not a straitjacket for restricting your character. Each alignment represents a broad range of personality types or personal philosophies, so two characters of the same alignment can still be quite different from each other. In addition, few people are completely consistent.

In other words when you say someone is good, it isn't an absolute but a broad descriptor and there is room for two good characters to view one another as "not entirely good". The fact that know alignment only gives you this broad descriptor is a limitation of the spell... In other words it can't get more granular than that.

NOTE: 5e also describes alignment in this way as well...

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
You've piqued my interest... I have Fate and I've played it... so what makes Fate an inherently better fit for law vs. chaos?

Well, first off, no alignment system, so that's a major leg up right there. :D

But, the Aspect system would fit with law vs chaos so much better than D&D. You simply choose Aspects that fit within that theme - something like, Letter of the Law or Stick It To the Man, or even something as simple as Free Spirit and you'd create a game that is inherently focused on ethics rather than morality. Also, since D&D tends to resolve a lot of issues by killing them, Fate would perhaps mechanically fit trying to act within a specific moral framework a little bit better.

Put it this way. Evil is real in a D&D world. It is a force, same as gravity or heat. It can be measured and detected. Makes moral questions pretty bloody easy to answer - if I do this, will it make me evil? Yes? Well, better not do that then since being evil is a bad thing. In Fate, you would never get such easy answers.

Remove ads