• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

Rellott

Explorer
The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

As for AP's, I really do not buy them, after the disaster that was HotDQ, which in itself was an interesting adventure, it just required way too much work to play out, it was basically set the players on rails and go. I like giving mt players options and they really did not care for the premises of HotDQ. Any DM worth his salt can come up with his own adventure with a Lich Lord on an island full of dinosaurs and zombies, it aint rocket science plus as the DM you are not beholden to the adventures quirks.

Now if wotc did an AP based on adventuring throughout the multi verse from level 1 to 20, I would be down for that. It would be like the players have to hunt down a piece of the Macguffin on verious parts of the multi verse to destroly a super planur threat (a Demon lord or some such trope), whoa mohammad, I can do that lol.

Scott

"Any DM worth his salt"... That expression bothers me.

Any DM worth his salt could come up with his own adventure with the players hunting down pieces of a Macguffin in various parts of the multiverse to destroy a super planar threat. Why would you bother buying an AP for that?

Essentially your argument is self-defeating and is an excuse to put down others who buy the AP and/or like it by saying they are inadequate. Why would you buy said multiversal adventure instead of creating it yourself? Because it's too much work? Requires too much time and/or creativity? Requires too much knowledge of the lore to pull off adequately? Based on yours and others' derision of WotC's handling of the FR and adventures set there, I don't think you'd be happy with their creativity and use of the lore even if they did create that AP (which would have to be two or three times the length of a current AP book to provide the necessary information to run it, if not longer).

Some people are perfectly capable DMs who just don't have the time, energy, creativity, or lore/system mastery to go and create their own full AP, so as a DM who according to you isn't worth his salt because he uses the published APs (and even modifies them to suit his preferences and players, because that's a thing a DM worth his salt would do!), but whose players are having a perfectly wonderful time, I'd appreciate it if you stopped belittling the apparently large number of people who like and buy these adventures.

You could use the extra time not doing that to write that multiplanar adventure!

murquhart72

Explorer
The only default I can find in there is the "many worlds of D&D". Sure, the second paragraph focuses on the Forgotten Realms, but there is nothing in there that implies that you are playing a Forgotten Realms high elf as a preselected option unless you specify another alternative.

Of course, my answer was an analogy and the issue with implications are they are subjective. Fact is, if you aren't stating a particular setting, WotC (and by extension, any reasonable person playing 5E) can safely assume you're in the Forgotten Realms/Sword Coast. It's how they've modeled the entire line.
Forgotten Realms, whether we like it or not, IS the default D&D setting when it comes to WotC published products. It's where they game, it's where every adventure they publish at least starts, it is the focus of every single example used (even when the "multiverse" is mentioned).
The sky is blue, water is wet, FR is D&D's current default setting, d10 is not a polyhedron, liquids and cats change shape to fill their containers... These are things only the mentally ill argue against.
I ain't even mad that that is the case, I just hate seeing the company constantly denying something any sane person can see with their own eyes.
I'm sorry, but there's no way you can convince me otherwise but if you feel like beating the corpse of this horse than by all means, have your last word and enjoy :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have to say with all the extra details now, this sounds way cooler than the initial info. The Xanathar book also sounds like it's gonna be pretty popular this year, too, especially with my group. At least this explains all the stuff going on in the Acquisitions Inc game last time, with Jim "degrading" and Portentia's resurrection failing.

(I also learned it's really hard to intuitively spell "Annihilation". :) )

Wish I could get all the add-ons for this, but chances are I'll just pick up the main AP and Xanathar book when they come out - Xanathar's in perfect time to go on a Xmas list.

Irennan

Explorer
I believe when it comes to Ed and the Realms that is exactly how it works. If I remember correctly his contract with WotC says as much. Of course I have never actually seen it, just what people say on this inter-web thing.

Here's what Ed himself said on the matter. I directly asked him when having this very discussion in another thread, and this is his answer.

Hi, Petter. Back in 1986, when TSR bought the Realms, they'd been aware of it since my articles in "The Dragon" (as it was then known) had started in 1979, and I'd been writing about it for 20 years or so. Having seen settings just "fall into limbo" when publishers went under or changed direction, I got some things put into my agreements with TSR over the years, and one of them was that everything I'd already written about the Realms, and would write or say, in interviews or at conventions, in the future, would be "official" or "canon" until something later published by TSR superceded it; WotC inherited this arrangement when they acquired TSR, and it still stands.
Anyone is free to have their own personal interpretation of what's canon FOR THEM, but that's the legal one, regarding canon FOR EVERYONE. Which they're stuck with, because they wouldn't know about the Realms AT ALL (unless they were in my local gaming group, or the readers of the long-running Campaign Hack zine, or readers of the Realms fiction published before TSR or D&D existed) except by virtue of that agreement.
The entire point of this, and the reversion clause, is that if the Realms ever vanished as a published imprint, I could continue to use it and publish new lore about it.
Hope that clarifies...

A SS of the asnwer.

[sblock]View attachment 84840[/sblock]

GarrettKP

Explorer
So... we don't get the awesome black/red official dice they were using? And peeps there were wearing an array of nice shirts which we can't have either. Along with the mugs we can't have. *Facepalm*

I own both the dice and the mug. They sold them during the live stream for Tales of the Yawning Portal. Sorry if you missed out, but they definitely sold them before so it isn't like they are hoarding them for themselves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads