• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

Irennan

Explorer
That's a pretty cynical take...

Which doesn't seem to bother any of the other gods that dwell in Hell or the Abyss.
And she wasn't portrayed as trapped before.

It was just lazy writing. The story they wanted to tell was Tiamat being summoned. And they just hand waved the why. Just... lame.

If you're interested, Ed Greenwood provided an explanation for Tiamat. Given that WotC hasn't contradicted it (nor they will ever bother to, ofc), it's even official.

QOkay, here's one about recent continuity that I and a few others have been scratching our heads over.

Since third edition, the goddess Tiamat has not been living in Avernus like she has in all the other campaign settings. Powers and Pantheons said that she would officially join the Faerûnian Pantheon in the middle of 1371 DR. Her divine realm since joining has been listed alternately as Heliopolis (in Faiths and Pantheons), Dragon Eyrie (in the Player's Guide to Faerûn) and Banehold, serving Bane (in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide), despite Faiths and Pantheons saying that Bane was one of her enemies.

Tiamat made a cameo in Erin Evans' Fire in the Blood and is described as "Guardian to the Gate of the Second Layer. Latest Vassal of Asmodeus." and it's said that she has her own kingdom in Avernus.

I recently came across this post made by Ms Evans: “Tiamat came up in story summit discussions, which was where Ed Greenwood mentioned that they'd kicked around the idea back in the day that whatever Tiamat consumed was completely destroyed. Which just kind of lit up my whole brain--what a fantastic reason to share territory with this dragon goddess! I'll admit, at the time, I think we were all under the impression that she was placed in Avernus by 4E. I know I was. She's in Avernus in pretty much every other campaign setting, after all, and a lot of the 4E changes did have a streamlining effect. But she was in Banehold for some reason. So this is sort of a smoothing scene to account for that transition. Because Tiamat doesn't deserve to skulk around in Banehold like some kind of beaten pet! She's a Queen! She deserves her own little realm in the Nine Hells!”

So why does she need rescuing from Avernus in the Tyranny of Dragons storyline? I briefly chatted to Wolfgang Baur about this but all he said was that "It was the premise provided by Wizards, and Kobold Press really isn’t in a position to dictate canon to the Wizards team."

AEd spent some time trying to get an official answer for you, and at length abandoned that attempt and spun his own (which of course he has the moral and legal authority to do, although Wizards can of course at some future time supercede what I’m posting below). So, heeere’s Ed:

Tiamat’s physical body, like those of the Chosen of Mystra, had been slowly failing over (much passing) time; regenerating ever more slowly, and afflicting her with internal aches and pains.

Tapping into the power of her growing (“growing” in part because of disaffected members of the Cult of the Dragon who turned to her as “the True One” or “the True Hope”) worship in Faerûn (as she did in 1371 DR, from the point of view of inhabitants of Toril) renewed and strengthened Tiamat, and allowed her to truly become “The Dragon Queen” as her clergy on Toril reverenced her.
Yet this very experience of ailing and aging made Tiamat, until then a creature of bold fury and reckless, aggressive attacks (a “to think is to act” creature) suddenly more paranoid. So she misinformed her clergy—who were in no position to see through her lie and “know” differently—as to her celestial whereabouts (and wealth, and servitors, and vast ruled dominion). She also became more scheming and patient, and determined to spread “parts of” herself into several places, so as to survive the ravages of time and attacks of foes.

Her great kingdoms on Heliopolis and later Dragon Eyrie were both largely fictitious; she “changed locations” from one to the other because intrepid wizards adventuring from the Realms (ambitious members of the Twisted Rune seeking allies or sources of power they could plunder or compel) actually reached Heliopolis—and discovered Tiamat had no “realm” there at all.
What she did have in Heliopolis was a lone spellbound, shriveled lichnee half-mad Netherese archwizard, magically confined in a cave, who was the Listener of the Fiveheaded (he heard the words of prayers made to Tiamat, and “saw”offerings, and yielded up that information when Tiamat mentally visited his mind). If need be, Tiamat’s sentience could “move into” the Listener’s mind and so “be on” Heliopolis, and even use the Listener’s lich body as her own (and survive if her five-headed form was ever destroyed). She apparently used the Listener at least twice to attack foes from behind when they had no idea Tiamat was anything other than in front of them, and alone. (She could also manifest an aspect of herself through him, although if she ever did so in earnest rather than in mere brief experimentation, no one of Toril is aware of it.)

When the Twisted Rune explorers found the Listener and tried to mindscour him for magical lore, they uncovered Tiamat’s secret. Enraged, she entered into the Listener, managed to mentally dominate the Twisted Rune mages, and compelled them to assist her in “relocating” her to Dragon Eyrie by assisting her in mentally destroying and subsuming the draconic deity Azharul (whom she’d long been spying upon as a scheming rival she should someday destroy) and took over his body and rulership, renaming his gigantic and labyrinthine cavern lair as the Cave of Greed (to others in Dragon Eyrie and to priests and sages, it remained “the Dragonspawn Pits of Azharul,” and they merely assumed old Azharul—a fearsome, bad-tempered draconic deity of many long, sharp projecting body-barbs and a mighty mastery of magic—had hit upon a new name for his home). She then used Azharul, assisted by what was left of the Listener and the controlled Twisted Rune wizards, very much as she had done the Listener back on Heliopolis. (The “soft borders” connecting Dragon Eyrie with Avernus allowed Tiamat to visit the Cave of Greed whenever she wanted to, but she apparently did so only once, to convince dragons, both living and spirits, and some abishai, to accompany her to Avernus and fight for her there.)

For all of this time, the “real” Tiamat was in Avernus in the Nine Hells, rebuilding an ever-larger kingdom in the most inhospitable mountains (and rift-like alpine valleys) of that layer (she had long ago been demoted from rulership of that largely-lawless layer because she was so ineffective in preventing the various outcast devils there from repeatedly attempting coups that threatened the dominion of Asmodeus—though the Supreme delved deep into her mind and saw no disloyalty, so he didn’t destroy or otherwise punish her, merely left her to her own devices, reasoning that in building her own power, she would fight against the outcasts and any other intruders far more effectively than she would otherwise—and he also left her with the notion that she could “earn” her “return to rule” if she pleased him enough with her performance; formally, she was given by Asmodeus the duty of guarding the largest and best-known way between Avernus and Dis—the route by which “dumb beasts,” lesser and least devils, and armies gated in from elsewhere would have to pass through, and she fulfilled this duty faithfully by stationing an aspect of herself there that never departed nor neglected this duty).

When the Spellplague struck, it didn’t just affect Toril (and Abeir); its ripples tore through the multiverse, wreaking havoc large and small. Dragon Eyrie disintegrated, and although the plane of the great “Dragon Mountain” was linked to Avernus (and other planes), in the tumult of destruction a stunned and half-crushed Azharul (“physically torn open like a fowl spatchcocked or butterflied for the grill,” as described by one who saw his violent arrival in the Barrens) was hurled violently into Gehenna (Banehold), where an opportunistic Bane pounced on the dazed and physically ruined draconic deity to enslave it—and discovered Tiamat’s presence. And immediately sought to compel and rule her.
Tiamat was furious, of course, but her true self was still in Avernus, and she was wise enough to see that considering the challenges she was facing at the time from various ambitious outcast devils, she could not hope to survive a battle on two fronts—and she would have to exert her full power to defeat Bane in Banehold. So she allowed Bane to “enslave” the part of her that was Azharul, and even served him faithfully, learning his secrets (and relaying them wholly and accurately to Asmodeus as she learned them, which pleased the Overlord of Hell very much). For his part, Bane exults in tyranny and rule, not slaughter and destruction, and so gloated in harassing his new slave in every way he could. And Tiamat suffered all of these indignities and bided her time, learning all she could of Bane’s nature and powers, awaiting her chance.

And when it came—the details aren’t known—she struck ruthlessly, not only freeing herself from Bane’s tyranny and snatching her Azharul body out of Banehold and into Avernus, she drained much of Bane’s power to do so, passing all that she didn’t need to mend the Azharul body and fully link it with her own—so that in Avernus, she has her “true” body, an aspect guarding the Way To Dis, and a “battle body” or fighting body (Azharul) she uses to meet with all others, keeping her true self safe and hidden (so an adventurer encounter, such as can happen in the Rise of Tiamat™ adventure, will be with this body, enabling Tiamat herself to survive unscathed any adventurer attack).

Delighted by the gift of divine power torn from Bane (who survived, lessened in might but not in essentials), Asmodeus offered her the rulership of Avernus once more. Whereupon Tiamat surprised (and touched him) by saying she didn’t want it because she wouldn’t be good at it, that Bel would do a better job and that Asmodeus shouldn’t spurn him and so make him a foe, and that Avernus needed to remain a largely-wild “safety valve” for the Nine Hells, to keep his rule strong—but that she would willingly and devotedly be “his champion” on Avernus, smiting all who worked against him whenever she became aware of their “treason.” So Asmodeus held a great ceremony in which he named Tiamat formally “Guardian to the Gate of the Second Layer,” and his “Latest Vassal.”

He also privately urged her to provide covert magical aid to the imprisoned Zariel, behind Bel’s back, to make sure that Bel didn’t siphon all of Zariel’s power and “become a problem.”

When she did so, she came under Bel’s compulsion, and through their hostile meeting of minds saw that Asmodeus had forewarned and prepared Bel to deal with her, so as to establish firm control over her—imprisoning her in her kingdom in Avernus, so that she “doesn’t get above herself” and kindle personal ambitions.

Tiamat was enraged anew, though she hid her ire from both Bel and Asmodeus, and now believes that all the archdevils of the Nine Hells see her as a “lesser being,” a “mere monster” to be duped and exploited. Determined to be caged nowhere and by no one, she reaches out to her mortal worshippers in the Realms, and conceives of a way to manipulate them into bringing her—or at least an aspect of her—into Toril.

All of which has left her in the situation and location she’s in at the beginning of Hoard of the Dragon Queen.™
There. Hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who gave us our first detailed look at the Nine Hells, so many years ago, helped Jeff Grubb as a sounding board when the original Manual of the Planes was being written, and has been tinkering with details of the various conflicting cosmologies of the multiverse ever since.

Knowing Realms fans and scribes as I do, I’m sure this lore will generate lots of questions and objections, so I’m standing by. Dressed in my best red devil Hallowe’en costume, the skintight horny horns rig with the little barbed tail.

love to all,
THO

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
If you're interested, Ed Greenwood provided an explanation for Tiamat. Given that WotC hasn't contradicted it (nor they will ever bother to, ofc), it's even official.

(5,000 words about lore)
I would have been happy with "A wizard did it." :erm:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm both excited and nervous for this. My campaign is set in the older Forgotten Realms. circa 1372 DR. So I ignore any changes that have happened after that and rely on earlier content. Because of that, Mezro in my world has never been destroyed. I hope this AP has enough useful information (and a useful enough map) for me to use. For example, if the map says "Ruins of Mezro" instead of just "Mezro," I will be disappointed.
Prepare to be disappointed, then. Why would the adventure not reflect the current timeline that's in SCAG (which also depicts Mezro in ruins).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
During the Crusades where we westerners tried to boot out the muslims from their various stromholds or met the muslims on the battle field, the Crusaders wore full plate into battle IE in very hot weather lol.

Full plate didn't develop until waaay late. The bulk of the Crusades were fought wearing mail.

SigmaOne

First Post
Gale Force 9 will be releasing minis:
* Paladin riding velociraptor
* [EDIT: This is incorrect! My apologies for any confusion caused. See Starfyre's comment downthread. T-Rex vomiting undead]
* Stacking masked goblins

Edit: To be clear, this was just some of the minis. I don't know how many, or what the others were.

Edit 2: The full Gale Force 9 Interview can be watched here.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
I too still use FR in the D&D 3.5 era for my 5E campaign and Pathfinder campaign sprinkled with bits and pieces of Greyhawk. I include both the Greyhawk gods and Hommlet in my FR campaign because I like both of those worlds.

As for AP's, I really do not buy them, after the disaster that was HotDQ, which in itself was an interesting adventure, it just required way too much work to play out, it was basically set the players on rails and go. I like giving mt players options and they really did not care for the premises of HotDQ. Any DM worth his salt can come up with his own adventure with a Lich Lord on an island full of dinosaurs and zombies, it aint rocket science plus as the DM you are not beholden to the adventures quirks.

Now if wotc did an AP based on adventuring throughout the multi verse from level 1 to 20, I would be down for that. It would be like the players have to hunt down a piece of the Macguffin on verious parts of the multi verse to destroly a super planur threat (a Demon lord or some such trope), whoa mohammad, I can do that lol.

Scott

I'm both excited and nervous for this. My campaign is set in the older Forgotten Realms. circa 1372 DR. So I ignore any changes that have happened after that and rely on earlier content. Because of that, Mezro in my world has never been destroyed. I hope this AP has enough useful information (and a useful enough map) for me to use. For example, if the map says "Ruins of Mezro" instead of just "Mezro," I will be disappointed.

Saying the Earth is flat doesn't make it any less round. By definition (a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer) it is factually the default setting, regardless how WotC spins it.

Sure, but that definition doesn't fit 5e.

The PHB (and other core books) reference multiple worlds. Here's a quote from the Basic Rules (same as the PHB) in the selection on races (the High Elf sub-race entry to be specifid), where you are creating your character. If there were a default, it should probably show up here:

"As a high elf, you have a keen mind and a mastery of at least the basics of magic. In many of the worlds of D&D, there are two kinds of high elves. One type (which includes the gray elves and valley elves of Greyhawk, the Silvanesti of Dragonlance, and the sun elves of the Forgotten Realms) is haughty and reclusive, believing themselves to be superior to non-elves and even other elves. The other type (including the high elves of Greyhawk, the Qualinesti of Dragonlance, and the moon elves of the Forgotten Realms) are more common and more friendly, and often encountered among humans and other races.
The sun elves of Faerûn (also called gold elves or sunrise elves) have bronze skin and hair of copper, black, or golden blond. Their eyes are golden, silver, or black. Moon elves (also called silver elves or gray elves) [of Faerun] are much paler, with alabaster skin sometimes tinged with blue. They often have hair of silver-white, black, or blue, but various shades of blond, brown, and red are not uncommon. Their eyes are blue or green and flecked with gold."

The only default I can find in there is the "many worlds of D&D". Sure, the second paragraph focuses on the Forgotten Realms, but there is nothing in there that implies that you are playing a Forgotten Realms high elf as a preselected option unless you specify another alternative.

The entire core rulebooks, including PHB, DMG, MM, and even Volo's Guide to Monsters are exactly the same.

Now, the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide is a Forgotten Realms product, and everything in there is Forgotten Realms by default.The mega-adventures are set in the Forgotten Realms by default (except for Curse of Strahd). Tales from the Yawning Portal has a fairly weak default Forgotten Realms introduction (with a Greyhawk alternative), though the adventures themselves each either default to their original setting (with options for setting them in other worlds) or have no default (only options) given. This means that only one of the seven adventures (Dead in Thay) is set in the Forgotten Realms by default, compared to three set in Greyhawk, and three more that were originally Greyhawk (but given no default in this presentation).

There is a focus on the Forgotten realms in mega-adventures, organized play, and transmedia, and there is one non-adventure book (SCAG) that is an explicitly Forgotten Realms product. But nothing else (except for the TftYP intro, and maybe the VGtM intro if you want to force it) defaults to the Forgotten Realms.

It is factually incorrect to state that the Forgotten Realms is the default setting for 5e D&D.

Dire Bare

Legend

Yeesh. That read like a wiki entry on a comic book superhero; long, twisty, and full of nonsensical retcons. And, how does Ed saying something make it "official"? Not that it matters, these small discontinuities in canon are easy to ignore and change if needed. So, Tiamat's details were different in previous editions of the game . . . so what? The current design team is free to pick which one they think works best for the story they are trying to tell, and the fans are free to use it, or reject it in favor of their own preferred story.

Don't use canon as a straight-jacket, free yourself!

Irennan

Explorer
Yeesh. That read like a wiki entry on a comic book superhero; long, twisty, and full of nonsensical retcons. And, how does Ed saying something make it "official"? Not that it matters, these small discontinuities in canon are easy to ignore and change if needed. So, Tiamat's details were different in previous editions of the game . . . so what? The current design team is free to pick which one they think works best for the story they are trying to tell, and the fans are free to use it, or reject it in favor of their own preferred story.

Don't use canon as a straight-jacket, free yourself!

It's a clause to Ed's contract that all he says about the Realms is canon unless contradicted by TSR. That was "inherited" by WotC.

As for the explanation and canon. I don't care about canon in my game. I don't need you to tell me that I can do whatever I want. However, continuity is important for a setting with a deep history like the Realms (and I mean the published version of it), otherwise why even bother with it, if you're going to ignore one of its defining traits and go all retcon-happy. Even cheesy explanations are better than no explanation at all ( you can ignore them after all, but at least a semblance of continuity would be kept). WotC can do whatever they want, but let's not pretend that ignoring previous lore is a good way to take care of an IP that is about its history and lore like the Realms (even if there are many who just use it as a map, those are important traits to the setting itself, what distinguishes it from other generic fantasy worlds).

A new set of rules doesn't change the story either (even tho 5e FR was a sort of in-universe reboot).

Remove ads

Remove ads