The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

NiClerigo

Adventurer
Chris Perkins just replied this to me on Twitter: "Yes, there is guidance for dropping #TombofAnnihilation into various D&D worlds, including Eberron, Greyhawk, and Mystara. #WOTCstaff" Great news! Eberron, Xen'drik here I go

Chris Perkins just replied this to me on Twitter: "Yes, there is guidance for dropping #TombofAnnihilation into various D&D worlds, including Eberron, Greyhawk, and Mystara. #WOTCstaff" Great news! Eberron, Xen'drik here I go

I was assuming this would be the case, and guessed upthread that it would be Amedio Jungle or Hepmonaland for Greyhawk and Xen'drik for Eberron. Any ideas for where it might go in Mystara? And no Dragonlance suggestions (I would say among the Dragon Isles to the north of Ansalon), or was that just an accidental omission on Chris' part?

Davelozzi

Explorer
I was assuming this would be the case, and guessed upthread that it would be Amedio Jungle or Hepmonaland for Greyhawk and Xen'drik for Eberron. Any ideas for where it might go in Mystara?

It's been forever since I looked hard at Mystara, but I want to say that the Isle of Dread was part of a larger archipelago, and that there was another continent a bit beyond to the south that might fit the bill.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Yep, it's the Thanegioth Archipelago that includes the Isle of Dread, and beyond is The Jungle Coast on the northern shores of the continent of Davania. The latter strikes me as the best Chult analogue.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Hussar

Legend
I find it endlessly interesting to see the difference in reactions between how one company does something and another company that does exactly the same thing.

Paizo ganks the Isle of Dread and stuffs it into Greyhawk and they are applauded for it. Everyone loves them for it. WotC does the exact same thing, but puts it into Forgotten Realms instead, and they're uncreative hacks who don't know anything about gaming and only produce boring stuff.

:/

guachi

Hero
If it's Mystara, the Isle of Dread is easiest (or some other island in the Thanegioth Archipelago). Though they could put it in Northern Davania or maybe the Serpent Peninsula.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Again more assumptions. Acererak will be in the adventure. Chris Perkins confirmed this. That does not mean they expect you to fight him (hell you didn't even fight him in the Tomb of Horrors). In an interview with Dungeon Life, Perkins confirmed not only that Acererak will be in the book, but that he isn't the main villain. Instead a certain "thing" he is creating is the villain. And he said while navigating the Tomb of Annihilation you will see things from all the worlds Acererak has traversed.

So I really do not see the issue here. Acererak is a plane hopper that is doing bad stuff, go stop him. That is the basic idea here.

Except Acererak isn't a plane hopper...he's a dead lich. He's dead. He had his minions build him his "final resting spot" (#33), destroyed them, then pretty much just waited for his lich body to crumble...leaving only his skull. Acereraks soul then went on to the planes and whatnot...but all dead people do that; you don't have to be a lich. ;) IF his 'final resting spot' is breached (keys), his soul is brought back...in the form of a "demi-lich". But he's still dead and not going to get any better.

So...Acererak isnt' doing "bad stuff" because, again, he's dead. I have no idea what Chris Perkens was smoking when/if he said that...and if he did, then much of my contention stands; WotC is just trying to use an iconic name to sell stuff.

No matter how you slice it, it's still not a thing for me or my group. And me ranting about this annoyance can be chalked up to "Just one of those old coots, rambling on about how much better it was back in ye olden days...". ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases