D&D 5E The New D&D Book: Candlekeep Mysteries: 17 Mystery Adventures [UPDATED!]

The cover of the upcoming D&D book has been revealed! Candlekeep Mysteries is an anthology of 17 mystery-themed adventures for character levels 1-16.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.35.34 PM.png

The image has appeared on Penguin Random House's product page for the book.

UPDATE! Penguin's product page appears to have now vanished, but we now have the product description! Thanks to @Fezzwick for spotting that!

An anthology of seventeen mystery-themed adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Candlekeep attracts scholars like a flame attracts moths. Historians, sages, and others who crave knowledge flock to this library fortress to peruse its vast collection of books, scribbled into which are the answers to the mysteries that bedevil them. Many of these books contain their own mysteries ̶—each one a doorway to adventure. Dare you cross that threshold?

· 17 mystery-themed D&D adventures, each tied to a book discovered in the famed library fortress of Candlekeep
· Easy to run as stand-alone mini adventures or to drop into your home campaign
· Adventures span play from levels 1 to 16
· Includes a full poster map of Candlekeep, plus detailed descriptions of the various locations, characters, and creatures that reside within it
· Introduces a variety of Dungeons & Dragons monsters, items, and non-player characters (NPCs)

Candlekeep Mysteries is a collection of seventeen short, stand-alone D&D adventures designed for characters of levels 1–16. Each adventure begins with the discovery of a book, and each book is the key to a door behind which danger and glory await. These adventures can be run as one-shot games, plugged into an existing Forgotten Realms campaign, or adapted for other campaign settings. This book also includes a poster map of the library fortress and detailed descriptions of Candlekeep and its inhabitants.

There have been mentions of an upcoming adventure anthology since 2019, with Kate Welch's name attached, along with other celebrity adventure writers including Critical Role's Marisha Ray, and actor Deborah Ann Woll. There were also suggestions that the authors might all be women. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow!

Last edited:

I don't feel surprised at all because I was openminded about a module, or a compilation of adventures.

I see an evolution of D&D. This has been designed to be the ultimate dungeon-crawler, but now it also wants some space for games about investigation, and in the end this could change the future rules.

I guess WotC also wants to produce a future no-D&D d20 game, with more space about investigation, exploring, searching clues to discover where is the week monster, the Lovecraftian cult or the big bad guy.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
This is a very intriguing proposition. I wasn't expecting that but it falls squarely into my current interest in that type of missions. Could be a good tie in with Tasha's Puzzle section.

G

Guest 6801328

I love the idea of a bunch of short mysteries, but I can't say I have any really great table memories of this sort of adventure, from either side of the DM's screen.

I suspect I'll buy it to read, but probably won't use it.

I hope the next anthology is a bunch of short dungeons, where you kick down doors, kill monsters, and take their stuff.

Crb31

Explorer
I have to admit, I’m a bit disappointed by this. I feel like I have enough adventures to last a lifetime. But maybe previews will get me excited, and maybe I could use some of the adventures in my Eberron game that takes place in Sharn.

Edit: Also, cool cover.
I was happy to see that someone else was disappointed by this- I don't know if I have enough adventures to last a lifetime- but there is so much want for settings- With DM's Guild I think there is a abundance of adventures- anyways. Will pick it up because- not excited about it which leaves me a little sad. Eberron I need to sink my teeth into.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases