D&D 5E The New D&D Book: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything!

The new D&D book has been revealed, and it is Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, "a magical mixture...

tashacover.jpg

The new D&D book has been revealed, and it is Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, "a magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game." The 192-page book is due out November 17th, with standard and alternate covers, and contains more subclasses, spells, character options, group patrons, and rules. Oh, and psionics!

tasha.png

Cover art is by Magali Villeneuve

WHAT WONDERFUL WITCHERY IS THIS?

A magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

The wizard Tasha, whose great works include the spell Tasha’s hideous laughter, has gathered bits and bobs of precious lore during her illustrious career as an adventurer. Her enemies wouldn’t want these treasured secrets scattered across the multiverse, so in defiance, she has collected and codified these tidbits for the enrichment of all.
  • EXPANDED SUBCLASSES. Try out subclass options for every Dungeons & Dragons class, including the artificer, which appears in the book.
  • MORE CHARACTER OPTIONS. Delve into a collection of new class features and new feats, and customize your character’s origin using straightforward rules for modifying a character’s racial traits.
  • INTRODUCING GROUP PATRONS. Whether you're part of the same criminal syndicate or working for an ancient dragon, each group patron option comes with its own perks and types of assignments.
  • SPELLS, ARTIFACTS & MAGIC TATTOOS. Discover more spells, as well as magic tattoos, artifacts, and other magic items for your campaign.
  • EXPANDED RULES OPTIONS. Try out rules for sidekicks, supernatural environments, natural hazards, and parleying with monsters, and gain guidance on running a session zero.
  • A PLETHORA OF PUZZLES. Ready to be dropped into any D&D adventure, puzzles of varied difficulty await your adventurers, complete with traps and guidance on using the puzzles in a campaign.
Full of expanded content for players and Dungeon Masters alike, this book is a great addition to the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Baked in you'll find more rule options for all the character classes in the Player's Handbook, including more subclass options. Thrown in for good measure is the artificer class, a master of magical invention. And this witch's brew wouldn't be complete without a dash of added artifacts, spellbook options, spells for both player characters and monsters, magical tattoos, group patrons, and other tasty goodies.

Here's the alternate cover:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 4.07.15 PM.png

UPDATE! An online event called D&D Celebration from September 18th-20th will be hosted by Elle Osili-Wood, which is "an epic live event with panels, gameplay, & previews of the book!" See the video in the Tweet below!

Gather your party and join the adventure at  D&D Celebration 2020, an online gaming event open to fans all over the world!

Celebrate the release of  Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden  with a weekend of Icewind Dale–themed virtual play sessions and help us create the biggest virtual tabletop roleplaying game event ever! Fans will also get the chance to preview some content from  Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything, the forthcoming book featuring massive rules options, subclasses, and more for the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Watch featured play sessions with D&D luminaries and learn something new with a slate of panels led by the D&D design team and community.

UPDATE! Check out the Nerdarchy site for some previews.

tcoe-eldritch-storms.jpg

Chapter-1-Opener-Tasha-and-Baba-Yaga-scaled.jpg

UPDATE! Other news items around the web about this book:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything

??? Volume of Enemies
??? Tower of Everything
??? Opus of Mobs

I guess they have some sort of pattern.
Over on RPG.net, I saw the suggestion that we could have a Van Richten's Guide for the next monster book, which would A) be amazing and B) be our missing second Ravenloft project.

dave2008

Legend
If they include the Variant Class Features UA material, there would be Star blocks for the new Ranger options, and maybe for the new Summoning Spells IIRC.
Yes, that is what I was think of when I reread the review. I think on the first reading my mind had a bit of Freudian leap if you will.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I thought Tasha was an odd choice for the book since I can only think of a single spell named for her, I guess it is a well known spell though. Might be a good choice though as she isn't one of the major NPCs, should be fun to read the commentary. I'd also hope to see a character sheet for her, I kind of miss the writeups of NPCs from earlier editions that were built the same as PCs rather than the current stat block writeups.

The alternate cover is finally one that I would like to have, the only problem being that it won't match the rest of my books on the shelf. Gonna be a hard choice come November.

Weiley31

Legend
The alt cover has a nice Amano Final Fantasy art look to it.

You can still order this, the alt cover, online right once it becomes an option for pre-order?

The only thing really is the stuff about 'origin' (same term we're using) but I think we're taking a different approach from what I can see up there.

It seems like both approaches can coexist at the same table.
• Tashas: swappable race traits
• a5e: origin feat / culture training / personal background abilities

"
Currently, at the very beginning of the character creation process, racial traits and abilities players are given when they build a character are what initially define them. For example: Elves get +2 to their Dexterity, the Darkvision trait, and are proficient in the Perception skill as baseline. These racial guidelines also include alignment suggestions: going back to Elves, currently the dark-skinned Drow subrace—an entire people—are described in the Player’s Handbook as “more often evil than not.”

In Cauldron of Everything, players are given the framework to throw all those mandated traits and benefits out the window and build their own benefits, regardless of the race they want to choose for their character. “We provide a new rules option that allows you to take some of the traits in your character’s race—Elf, Dwarf, Half-Orc, or something else—and modify those traits so that you can better reflect the story you have in mind for your character,” Crawford said of the new process. “We even include in this book a template for creating a lineage for your character that is completely disconnected from any of the race options in the game. It’s basically just us saying ‘fill in the blanks.’”

"

In sum, Tashas seems more freeform, while a5e seems more structured by decision points.

Both are great.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads