• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The new Darkvision text.

Jhulae

First Post
Not that it's going to stop *all* the senseless arguements on it, but I like the new wording used for Darkvision from RC.

They've finally removed that craptacular line about "see only in black and white" and replaced it with "unable to distiguish color", which definitely throws out that photoshopped abomination picture from the old DMG and brings it more in line with SKR's explanation of "Black and White TV vision", IE, everything in greyscale, or the world being seen with complete colorblindness.

I like it.

Bagpuss

Legend
Which means they can also read in pitch dark. Which I've heard some people argue they can't in the past due to the throw back to infravision.

Jhulae

First Post
Yep, which is how I've always played it anyway, because I can read text on newspapers/books/whatever when watching black and white tv shows or movies.

Vahktang

First Post
I'm still going to do that you can't read without a light.
If only for what my mom always said:

"You can't read. It's too dark."

:)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
HandofMystra said:
They can read text unless the text is only distinguished by color

Now if by 'color', they mean 'hue', then this means normal dark text on a light background should be readable. But if by 'color', they mean 'variations in hue, shade, brightness, or similar', it probably won't. (One theory I heard that I always liked - the reason dwarves are so fond of carved runes is because their darkvision can discern change in depth, where it can't make out ink on a page.)

Either way, it should still be possible to create text that is invisible to Darkvision; see the two attached images, one with colour, and one without.

-Hyp.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 67
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 69

Remove ads