The new Doctor has been announced!

GreyLord

Legend
And it’s Ncuti Gatwa. I’m not familiar, but he’s apparently in Sex Education. He’s Scottish.

I thought he was Rwandan, but later moved to Scotland and raised there.

I must be getting old. My first thought was...he's awfully young. Then I suppose, 17 years ago Eccleston and Tennant probably seemed young to some.

GreyLord

Legend
He's Rwandan-Scottish, according to Wikipedia.

He's older than Matt Smith or Peter Davison were.

I remember Davison. People were aghast at how young he was when he became the doctor as well.

I think Matt Smith had been tempered by the other two before him to get us used to such youth.

The last two (Capaldi and Whittaker) were a little older so probably got me accustomed to older Doctors...plus...I myself have aged so 29 seems even younger than it used to 12 years ago.

PS: I think part of it is also Ncuti Gatwa played (or it seemed the character he played) a much younger individual in his last series, which sort of flavors how one thinks of him...I suppose.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The last two (Capaldi and Whittaker) were a little older so probably got me accustomed to older Doctors...plus...I myself have aged so 29 seems even younger than it used to 12 years ago.
Whitaker was only about 32 or 33 or so wasn't she? And Gatwa will be 30 or 31 by the time we see him on the show. So not far off.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The last two (Capaldi and Whittaker) were a little older so probably got me accustomed to older Doctors...

Um, Whittaker was all of 35 when she was announced as the Doctor. David Tennant was 34 when he started in the role.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Doctor starting ages (debut not announcement)

Hartnell 55
Troughton 46
Pertwee 50
Tom Baker 40
Peter Davison 29
Colin Baker 40
McCoy 44
McGann 36
Eccleston 41
Tennant 34
Smith 27
Whitaker 35
Gatwa 30/31 (depending when in 2023)

Those old ones weren't as old as you might think! I guess people age better these days!

Remove ads