• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The new Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set - and online tools?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mike Mearls has now confirmed that:

* No character creation in the Starter Set
* No adventure-building in the Starter Set

Instead, the set seems to contain an adventure, pre-generated characters, and rules for running the adventure and the characters.

"Think of it like a set you could hand to a board gamer to make them into a new DM running D&D." - Mike Mearls

However, against that, we have Mike's posts about how you're going to be able to create characters...

"The stuff we haven't talked about yet is where DMs and players go next - there's a step between the Starter Set and the Big 3" - Mike Mearls

It seems likely Mike's talking about online tools.

(I've posted more about this on my blog, but you're more likely to discuss it here - so go ahead!)

Cheers!

Kinak

First Post
I... thought the opposite thing was confirmed earlier today. Maybe I'm getting some wires crossed.

That said, bonus web content or free online tools amounts to the same thing. As long as there's a good slate of characters available, I'm not too concerned. If it's part of a paywalled DDI... more concerned.

This is sounding quite a bit like other WotC starter sets, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. Still curious to see how it turns out, though.

Cheers!
Kinak

Yeah, I thought I heard the SS had character creation rules etc so you could run a short campaign.

If not, it'll be a poor way to bring new players into the hobby IMO given the cost bump to get into the full game. I hope this bit of info is incorrect -- the original Red Box model of a complete yet level-limited game was a great success.

the Jester

Legend
That's terrible news.

In my opinion, with a "Starter Set", you should be able to make characters and play while you're in the wilderness camping, with no online connectivity required. I hate to say it, but whoever has been saying the box is going to be crippleware advertising (or something like that) might be right. :(

The model should have been the old Basic Set, but it sounds like it was the 4e starter box instead.

Warunsun

First Post
Guys... A Starter Set is not intended for experienced players of D&D. Especially those who have played multiple editions and other RPG games. This is not the red box of BECMI. I wish it was but at today's prices something like that would be closer to $40 probably and would require them a lot more development time. It is what it is.

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah, seems like a bad idea. If this is really the case I'm rather surprised - Mearls should know that part of the joy of the game--and yes, starting to play for the first time--is imagining and making your own characters. In other words, if the starter set really is an ad to bring in new players then they have to show the best qualities of the game, and one of those is character generation.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Source

RPGPundit said:
Insider Information on the new Edition of Dungeons & Dragons - Today, 01:57 PM
So, the other day the cover images for the new D&D books came out, and that caused quite the stir. It also continued the stir about the prices of the new core books (at a basic $50 each, that means a $150 investment on the three books; assuming you get them at full price).

What has been less mentioned is the starter set, which will come in just under $20, a much more affordable level. But this has led to rampant speculation that the starter set will be nothing more than 'crippleware', a "for-profit ad for the main books", as more than one commenter suggested. Admittedly, there's good cause to make such speculation, since pretty much all D&D starter sets for the last 20 years of so have amounted to that.

Well, I have a bit of an edge over other bloggers in that I'm actually a Consultant for Wizards of the Coast on the project-formerly-known-as-D&DNext, now mercifully revealed to simply be called, in its final version, the tried and true "Dungeons & Dragons". Being a paid consultant is a double-edged sword, of course, because there are NDA-imposed limits on what I can and can't say. But on the other hand it means that instead of having to wildly guess based on twitter feeds or the like, I can just talk directly with Mike Mearls and find out what's what. Which is precisely what I've done.

So here is my statement, not of Mike's words (much less of some PR hack from WoTC) but of my own personal position on this subject as a gamer, and with information that almost no one else writing about this subject has access to:

I'm willing to say, right here and now, that the Starter set will NOT be "crippleware", not as I consider that term.

I can't get into a lot of specifics here, but as an exercise in contrasts, I will tell you what I WOULD consider 'crippleware'. It would be Crippleware to me, for example, if it was a boxed set that contained some pretty dice and some minis and rules for playing characters at levels 1-2 and after that you're [naughty word redacted] out of luck and have to go buy the big-boy books.

That's crippleware.

The upcoming D&D Starter set, based on current information I have received firsthand as I am presently aware of it, is not that.

I would be skirting the limits of what I'm allowed to say if I were to state that in fact, the Starter set will contain more campaign-level material than pretty much any starter set I've seen, possibly including the original Basic D&D red box.

More importantly, as Mearls recently stated in his twitter account, you will NOT need to buy all of the D&D "core" books to play OR RUN the game. And unless I've been massively lied to, this is not a play on words or a trick; it is exactly what it says it is.

I will finally close with this enigmatic statement: not everything about how the new D&D will work has been revealed to the public yet. Everything will be more clear when certain information is made public in a while. Information, I might add, that I as an advocate of the D&D game being made as accessible as possible to regular and casual gamers rather than just marketing to the hardcore fans am very excited about.

I really wish I could say more, but I can't, not yet. Still, I hope that those of you who know me, and have read me, whether or not you like me as a person or in my positions on gaming, will know that I'm not going to say something that isn't true, or pretend to be positive about something that I don't feel positive about. And I feel quite positive at this point about the direction WoTC is heading in with this new edition of D&D.

RPGPundit

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads