• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The new Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set - and online tools?

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Can they print it like Moldvay? 11x17 paper, folded and center-stapled with a thick full color cover?

Sincere question.

Yes, as long as it isn't too many pages long.

Since you fit four 8.5x11 pages on one double-sided 11x17, you should be fine. The fold and center-stapling is the "bookletizing" that I was referring to earlier.

At fedex/kinkos you want to ask them to "saddle staple" it, they have a machine just for that

Some stores have a printer that will do the stapling internally, which is quicker, easier and more consistent, i.e. better for everyone. Though if it's too thick for the internal stapler, they can sometimes still do it on the saddle stitcher.

It has to be formatted to print that way, though. For example: the center of the book, say pages 29-30, will be fine, but if you have 60 pages total, page 1 will have to be on the same 11 x 17 sheet as 60, 2 and 50, etc. (actual page numbers may vary slightly; I didn't do a mockup layout just now to get my page number examples exact).

If all the pages are in the PDF consecutively, it won't work in a saddle-stapled format. Of course, someone with a full version of acrobat (or InDesign) could reformat the Basic rules to print that way; it wouldn't be that hard, but I doubt it'll come from WotC pre-formatted to print for a saddle-stapled configuration.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
So, I'm going to look inside my crystal ball and do a small prediction:
At tomorrow's L&L Mike Mearls is going to announce that they will release Basic D&D, for free, on WotC site in July, he will probably give some details on what will be in it and what wouldn't be in it.

There might be something about Standard and Advanced D&D but it might be the subject of later L&L.

Warder
Does your crystal ball show something about the stock market? :cool:

the Jester

Legend
It has to be formatted to print that way, though. For example: the center of the book, say pages 29-30, will be fine, but if you have 60 pages total, page 1 will have to be on the same 11 x 17 sheet as 60, 2 and 50, etc. (actual page numbers may vary slightly; I didn't do a mockup layout just now to get my page number examples exact).

If all the pages are in the PDF consecutively, it won't work in a saddle-stapled format. Of course, someone with a full version of acrobat (or InDesign) could reformat the Basic rules to print that way; it wouldn't be that hard, but I doubt it'll come from WotC pre-formatted to print for a saddle-stapled configuration.

Actually, they have a tool that will format it for you with literally about three mouse clicks. I'm not sure what the policy on charging for it is these days, though, but it can take your example 60 page pdf at 8.5x11 and order the pages and ensure everything is set up for you, as well as resizing it if you want to, say, print really tiny booklets at 8.5x11 (four pages per sheet of paper) or something.

Hussar

Legend

Note, Adobe Reader can do this as well. You just need to print in Brochure format. It really does only take about three clicks and you can print away to your hearts content. To be fair though the print size might be a bit wonky.

Nemio

First Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but is it known at this time if the Starter Set will feature playing with a grid and minis, if it will be Theater of the Mind or if there will be a choice?

Li Shenron

Legend
Sorry if this has been asked before but is it known at this time if the Starter Set will feature playing with a grid and minis, if it will be Theater of the Mind or if there will be a choice?

If characters have a speed, weapons and spells have a range written in the pregens character sheets, then effectively you can play with grid & minis (enforcie distance and position) as well as with TotM (ignore distance and position, or handle them roughly). There's nothing special needed to support either way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads