D&D (2024) The new halfling description is extremely good

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
These are all pretty good. As an old fart, I wouldn't mind if halflings had proficiency with slings by default, but I'm not sure if there's any classes that don't get proficiency with slings anyway.
Just checked. Everyone can use slings.

So I amend my idle musing:

What would be the impact of giving halflings advantage with slings? It'd mean they could do ranged sneak attacks, but the base damage of a sling (1d4 bludgeoning) is no great shakes. Would consistent ranged sneak attacks with a sling be grotesquely overpowered?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

What would be the impact of giving halflings advantage with slings? It'd mean they could do ranged sneak attacks, but the base damage of a sling (1d4 bludgeoning) is no great shakes. Would consistent ranged sneak attacks with a sling be grotesquely overpowered?
I'd maybe go with a damage reroll or a increase in damage die instead. Or that they ignore the long range penalty or 1/2 cover, something like that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Given the overall move away from non-magical/divine Proficiency for Races, that feels.maybe more like a Feat to use as the center of a "Shire Reeve" Background.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Now, I think a lot of the complaints about halflings are overblown, or even outright clickbait -- "I don't understand why they'd be adventurers!" complain human beings who live within 15 miles of the high school they graduated from 20 years ago -- but WotC wants to put those complaints to rest.

We get sedentary, homebody hobbits as the societal default, but we also have Tooks or 3E and 4E halflings, who feel the urge to wander and explore (dreadlocks and river-rafts optional).

Why is your halfling an adventurer? Because many halflings get that urge.
As your comment about humans stay-homes highlights the rational that halflings adventure because ‘some are adventurous’ is exactly the same rational that can apply to Humans or every other race. Halflings are just short lucky humans, and with the notion that humans can choose to be small too, halflings are even more redundant…

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As your comment about humans stay-homes highlights the rational that halflings adventure because ‘some are adventurous’ is exactly the same rational that can apply to Humans or every other race. Halflings are just short lucky humans, and with the notion that humans can choose to be small too, halflings are even more redundant…
Humans can also be hairy, making dwarves redundant and full of themselves, making elves redundant.

I miss stout halflings.
I like being resistant to poison instead of extraordinarily stealthy.
Maybe some better multi race rules (you might swap a minor feature from one parent race with the other ones), I would be ok.

It'd probably be fine with the new "Crits only double the weapon dice" rule, but that rule is going to eat it in the popularity contest. If you give them perma-advantage, even at sad damage, though, people are going to find a way to exploit the hell out of that.

Personally I'd just go all "Next playtest" on them and make them do 1d8 damage with slings.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Personally I'd just go all "Next playtest" on them and make them do 1d8 damage with slings.
That's even better, actually, since it would actually encourage sling use among halflings (of all classes!) without setting up potentially catastrophic surprise interactions from permanently giving them advantage with them.

Sure but humans don’t get tremorsense or get to tiptoe across moonbeams
Speak for yourself.

Remove ads