The 'New' World Of Darkness Makes Way For Chronicles Of Darkness And The World Of Darkness

In case you missed it, White Wolf Publishing has been under new ownership for the last couple of months, since Swedish video game publisher Paradox Interactive announced buying the rights to White Wolf Publishing and the World of Darkness and Exalted properties from CCP Games in October. This announcement left fans, and developers up in the air over what the next step would be. Yesterday, at the Tenebrae Noctis White Wolf fan convention in Cologne, more information was announced. Probably one of the bigger announcements being about what was the status, going forward, of the various Worlds of Darkness currently being published.

In case you missed it, White Wolf Publishing has been under new ownership for the last couple of months, since Swedish video game publisher Paradox Interactive announced buying the rights to White Wolf Publishing and the World of Darkness and Exalted properties from CCP Games in October. This announcement left fans, and developers up in the air over what the next step would be. Yesterday, at the Tenebrae Noctis White Wolf fan convention in Cologne, more information was announced. Probably one of the bigger announcements being about what was the status, going forward, of the various Worlds of Darkness currently being published.

White Wolf Publishing will be doing the, new, fourth editions of the World of Darkness games, starting with

A press release on the Onyx Path Publishing website said this:

Onyx Path Publishing and White Wolf Publishing are proud to announce that Chronicles of Darkness is now the overall brand name for the series of game lines previously called the New World of Darkness. These game lines include Vampire: the Requiem 2nd Edition, Werewolf: the Forsaken 2nd Edition, Mage: the Awakening 2nd Edition, Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition, Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition, Geist: the Sin-Eaters, Mummy: the Curse, Demon: the Descent, and Beast: the Primordial, as well as any upcoming projects and game lines.

And the press release went into some of the reasoning for the change here:

Because, let’s face it, the cWoD/nWoD thing has always been awkward once you tried to explain why there were two of them but the second WoD wasn’t another edition but a whole ‘nother reimagining. Another WoD that enables equally awesome stories to be told but which has different rules and themes and overall tone. Nothing confusing there!

Onyx Path Publishing will also continue with the 20th Anniversary editions of World of Darkness games and Exalted.

Where the “new” World of Darkness will now be called The Chronicles of Darkness, the lines being developed in-house by White Wolf Publishing will just be, simply, The World of Darkness. No longer will there be a “new,” “classic,” or any other sort of qualifier to the title. Where White Wolf Publishing’s World of Darkness games will line up with the upcoming AAA video game, and other media adaptations, the Chronicles of Darkness will be continue to be “an amazing toolkit to create the WOD that you as the Storyteller want,” according to Martin Elricsson, the Lead Storyteller at White Wolf Publishing.

It looks that the World of Darkness setting material will feature a shift from America to Europe, which makes sense coming from a publisher based in Europe. This might actually make the buy-in to the setting easier for many American gamers, since it will make the setting, for them, into more of a “fantasy world” and less of the “world outside of your windows.”

In addition to developing the World of Darkness game in-house, it also looks that White Wolf Publishing will also be developing new LARP rules in-house as well. From social media talk on Twitter and Facebook, it looks as though the new rules will take a nod from the traditions of Nordic LARPs, which will be interesting to see. I admit that I have never been one for LARPing, so my knowledge of that area is a hole that I will have to fill up in order to talk about it intelligently in the future.

In the Onyx Path Publishing press release for the Chronicles of Darkness announcement, they also talked about practical, licensing-related reasons for why the name shifts make sense:

And on a licensing level, garnering interest outside our hobby has been a nightmare. One kind of Hollywood type has a 3.5 second attention span, by and large, and you have to hook them right away, while another type Googles everything as you’re talking. The first will be gone before you can explain the N in new WoD, and the second will find page after page of info that sounds similar but is different and is all coming up under World of Darkness.

Benji

First Post
My concern is this: If the world of darkness (formerly Owod) is no longer being published by onyx path (I'm reading between the lines): are we still likely to see the quality of product/support? Or is it all going to be about computer game branding? Are we ever going to see , for example, Changeling 20? Or is that shelved now?

EDIT: As it's being advertised on a banner on this website, it's probably still going ahead. But my question stands. :D

My concern is this: If the world of darkness (formerly Owod) is no longer being published by onyx path (I'm reading between the lines): are we still likely to see the quality of product/support? Or is it all going to be about computer game branding? Are we ever going to see , for example, Changeling 20? Or is that shelved now?

EDIT: As it's being advertised on a banner on this website, it's probably still going ahead. But my question stands. :D

Onyx Path is still releasing and supporting the 20th Anniversary lines. As your edit mentions, the C20 Kickstarter is still going and onto some sweet stretch goals.

There are lots of other books on the way too. My next book is big update on Ghouls and Revenants for Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition (that I am the Developer on). I also contributed as a writer for Lore of the Clans, which should be available soon in PDF and Print.

-MMM

Benji

First Post
Onyx Path is still releasing and supporting the 20th Anniversary lines. As your edit mentions, the C20 Kickstarter is still going and onto some sweet stretch goals.

There are lots of other books on the way too. My next book is big update on Ghouls and Revenants for Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition (that I am the Developer on). I also contributed as a writer for Lore of the Clans, which should be available soon in PDF and Print.

-MMM

Thanks for clarifiying. This makes me feel really good about the endeavour. My love for what Onyx path have done with WoD is immense but I don't play the NWOD/COD[Is that what we're going with? Isn't that call of duty?], so I was worried you'd gained one license and lost the other. Obviously I'm reading too much into an announcement, feel free to label me a cynical autumn person.

IanWatson

Explorer
Before today's announcement:

- Onyx Path had the license to publish material for the Classic World of Darkness, new World of Darkness, and Exalted. We outright own Scion and the Trinity Continuum, and co-own the Scarred Lands with Nocturnal Media.

After today's announcement:

- The name of the new World of Darkness has changed to Chronicles of Darkness (CofD). No other changes have been made. All the previous licenses proceed as before.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Will we finally see books published in the traditional manner or is all this going to still be POD? Will we also see CoD, (sounds funny as an acronym) in the FLGS shelves or will this be a game you need to know someone who plays to play?

turkeygiant

First Post
Before today's announcement:

- Onyx Path had the license to publish material for the Classic World of Darkness, new World of Darkness, and Exalted. We outright own Scion and the Trinity Continuum, and co-own the Scarred Lands with Nocturnal Media.

After today's announcement:

- The name of the new World of Darkness has changed to Chronicles of Darkness (CofD). No other changes have been made. All the previous licenses proceed as before.

Sorry I am still trying to figure out the state of OWoD (now just World of Darkness), Onyx Path will complete it's 20th anniversary line it seems, are you still going to be doing Masquerade 4th? or are all fully new World of Darkness rpg books going to be published by Paradox/White Wolf?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads