D&D 5E The Next D&D Storyline Will Be Released In September; Plus 'Reality TV' D&D At D&D Live!

The new D&D storyline, which WotC announced that they would be announcing online at D&D Live this month, will be released in September, WotC's Greg Tito announced in an interview with Screen Rant.

The new D&D storyline, which WotC announced that they would be announcing online at D&D Live this month, will be released in September, WotC's Greg Tito announced in an interview with Screen Rant.

We've done these events annually for the past few years to get the Dungeons & Dragons community excited about playing with each other, as well as for the new storyline that we will introduce at this time that will be released in September.

Dungeons-Dragons-Reality-RP-Cast.jpg

The announcement event will also feature some reality-TV style features which they're calling "Reality RP". The storyline involves a prison warden who's a wizard, and who traps a group of suspects in a food storage sabotage investigation and sets them challenges. One of these ten people is the culprit, and each is played by a different performer. Over the weekend, the cast members get reduced until there are only three left on the last day.

At its core it is a combination of different things, it's performative cosplay, deductive roleplay such as Clue, but there is Mafia/Werewolf, those type of party deductive reasoning social games, as well as reality television gameplay, I know we all hate on reality television but some of the shows are actually pretty innovative as far as what kind of game design and things that are going on.

There's other information in the long interview on Screenrant, so it's well worth checking the link. Amongst other things, Tito revealed that the proportional of women playing D&D has increased from about 39% a year or two ago to about 50/50 now. He also mentioned that we can expect to see more Magic/D&D crossovers in the future.

D&D Live is running June 18-20.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I read the article and I'm still really confused as to what this actually is. Is it actually a live game of D&D? Or more like LARPing? or a live game of Cluedo?
Yeah, is more like tabletop improv: each day, the secret cultist get to kill on other player at night. On the morning of the next day, the killed player is taken out of play and the rest of the group discuss to find and execute the cultist. The goal of the cultist is to be the last one standing without, obvs, being spotted and executed.

From what I've read, in game, we are talking about 10 ''suspects'' +1 game master. All suspects come from 10 different towns in the region, which, added to the frosty background of the announcement, is another clue in the direction of Icewind Dale.

Remove ads

Remove ads