D&D 5E The Nine Hells in your game

One Hell, ruled by Asmodeus currently. The other arch-devils (same ones from 1e) rule over certain areas of Hell. I guess a "modern" fantasy example would be Game of Thrones. Each area ruled by a king or whatever, with each owing fealty to the "one true king".

Thats pretty much how it always worked. Each Area is a layer and Asmodeus just rules one layer personally.

Derren

Hero
I wonder if anyone is running the nine hells closer to its original inspiration from the divine comedy?

Last edited:

More or less yep. But, IMC, it's a single layer, just split up into provinces/domains/whatever you want to call them.

I know what you mean. Just personally view it as a fairly meaning less change as it really does not change much. I just find the layers cooler looking.

Daedrova

First Post
Yes, to the OP. I was actually running a high level 3e game when preview material for 4e was released and decided to use the ideas for epic destinies.
One of my players was secretly a lich (having uncovered the secret to eternal unlife after defeating one during the campaign and plundering its lair).

The players foray into hell brought them into conflict with the lord of the 3rd whom they defeated, despite using increased stats to make him much, much tougher than he appeared in official material.

So the Lord of the 3rd in my campaigns is an epic archmage lich devil lord.

Because my campaigns also remained within the same world (until trying Dark Sun for the first time in 5e as DM) that change was relavent in the story of the next campaign I ran. That player quite enjoyed seeing the continuity.

fjw70

Adventurer
One hell is more than enough as far as I'm concerned. It may look different depending on your belief system, but it's still the same hell. And there's no Abyss or Gehenna or Pandemonium or any other theme park hells.

Same here.

My Hell is in the core of the world and is the home of demons, devils, and similar creatures. A barrier prevents beings from passing between the world and Hell (of course certain magic can circumvent this barrier and there are small breaks in the barrier if you know where to find them).

The Gods live in the space around the world (I.e. Heaven).

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
One Hell, ruled by Asmodeus currently. The other arch-devils (same ones from 1e) rule over certain areas of Hell. I guess a "modern" fantasy example would be Game of Thrones. Each area ruled by a king or whatever, with each owing fealty to the "one true king".
Does your Asmodeus look like this?

Joffrey21.jpg

Mercule

Adventurer
Custom cosmology. It's tied to the reason why devils and demons exist. The original fiends started as celestial beings of various stripes (just like there are currently multiple types of celestials). They rebelled and were cast from the heavens. They were cast in the general direction of oblivion. That isn't capitalized, in the way it is in Wraith, but is more a sense of "outer darkness" or "wailing and gashing of teeth". At the same time, the Abyss gets worse, as it gets deeper, so there may be something (nothing?) at the bottom.

Regardless, the devils could be considered the fallen who are more well adjusted, if you can apply that concept. The devils still hold out hope that they can win the War of Souls. By gathering sufficient souls, the very essence of creation, they hope to both blackmail the Creator force into reconciling and, if they're really arrogant, shift the balance of power to the extent that they can take over.

Demons, on the other hand, have given up hope of winning. They know they're screwed, at the end of ages. Instead of trying to win, they're engaged in a salted earth campaign to drag as much of creation into oblivion with them. Some of them are playing the long game to extend their own existence. Others want to speed the end as much as possible. Still others -- maybe the most disturbing -- want more to be created so there's more to be destroyed. Regardless, all are working from motives so alien to mortal thought that they may as well be insane.

Scholars speculate that there may be certain fiends or classes of fiends (loths?) that didn't actually fall, but were created to test other elements of creation to weed out those that were too badly flawed to be retained. The reasons given for this vary: an imperfect Creator seeking to cleanse itself, providing meaningful choices and true freewill, and more esoteric theories. If so, the implications would be significant -- there would be almost no chance of the fiends winning; even their fall was part of a bigger plan, from the very beginning.

With all the fiends circling the drain, so to speak, Hell can be viewed as the upper rim of the Pit, or even as the flat area around the hole. It's generally stable, if terrifying and oozing evil. The ninth layer of Hell sits at the lip of the precipice, ready to fall in. The Abyss, on the other hand, is the actual wall of the Pit -- a careening free-fall of malevolence to existence itself. As far as mortals know, the bottom of Hell is fully disconnected from the top of the Abyss. They're joined only by virtue of being evil. But, it's entirely possible that Hell could begin to slide into the Abyss, at the end times or if the devils ever gave up hope. It's unclear what this would beget, but it's not likely to be good.

Anyway, the specific rulers of the layers of Hell has rarely been a big concern. I really hated the 2E Blood War, so my baseline assumption is still the late 1E hierarchy. Honestly, everything to do with the lower planes since PlaneScape kicks the same spot of my brain as all of Lucas' messing with the original trilogy: just stop, already; it was fine as it was. The blurb in the 5E DMG isn't any more inspiring than anything else in the last 20 years.

Frank Dursi

First Post
If you are interested in the actual official Nine Hells - Tyrant of the Nine Hells documents alot of stuff but its 3.5 edition rule set but the lore and rulers are able to be used in your campaign. You would just have to convert the ArchDevils that rule each level of Baator. Bel rules the first layer Avernus, Dispater rules the second layer Dis, Mammon rules the third layer Minauros, Lady Fierna ( actually run by Belial behind the scenes) rules the 4th layer Phlegethos, Levistus rules the fifth Stygia, Asmodeus made his daughter Glasya ruler of the sixth layer Malboge supplanting the hag countess, Baalzebul rules Maladomini the seventh layer, Mephistopheles rules Cania the eighth layer, and of course Asmodeus rules Nessus the ninth and final layer of Hell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases