D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

But for the 4E Draconomicon (which I wager we will see a lot of material from, like Steel Dragons or Brown Dragons), they used Dragonborn for Draconians, specifically.
Steel and brown dragons are 2e vintage at the latest. I don't think they were in 1e (although I might be mistaken), but they definitely appeared in 2e products.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Most DnD players are new and wouldn't have heard of Dragonlance. They won't know things have changed. And the old fans giving a backlash will just be a small minority that is easily dismissed and ignored, because they're no longer the target audience of DnD or the people WizCo is marketing books towards
You would be surprised what new players have heard about.

First off, it's really easy to look up info on any D&D setting. In fact, if you look up "D&D settings," you'll get a long list, including Dragonlance. And just about every setting has its own fans and therefore its own websites and wikis dedicated to it.

Secondly, on places like reddit, it's not uncommon to see conversations like this:

Person 1: I hope the next book is <setting>!

Person 2: What's <setting>?

Person 1, and Persons 3-n: It's <list of all the cool things about the setting, usually ignoring all the boring or problematic parts, unless those parts are somehow famous for some reason>.

Person 2: Wow, that sounds awesome!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Steel and brown dragons are 2e vintage at the latest. I don't think they were in 1e (although I might be mistaken), but they definitely appeared in 2e products.
I gather the 4E treatment was rather different, but that if they do revisit them they will likely split the difference and reconcile different takes.

Steel_Wind

Legend
At the risk of both being pedantic and bringing up a potentially sensitive topic, you know that DL was largely a Mormon parable and that Christianity (from which Mormonism stems) includes many, many stories of a good God obliterating whole populations for their sins, right?

One of the reasons I don't think a DL reboot would work is that it is too deeply rooted in the symbols of the faith of its creators.
Yup. THAT. And I am ENTIRELY comfortable with a DragonLance reboot that isn't in the hands of Tracy Hickman. NOT THAT. I have ZERO problems with NOT THAT, too.

Mr. Hickman's contributions to game design were many, historic, and very worthy of respect and veneration. The "Event" in adventure design was his, and the centrality of story design to adventure creation in all modern adventure design is undersold by those who feel it some slight to Gygax. Not me though. Hickman's key contributions to adventure design were the ones that we followed out of 1st edition. They remain with us today - at both WotC and Paizo's Adventure Path line.

But just as Curse of Strahd was the work of a whole new design team at WotC where the Hickmans received a nod as "creative consultants" (in addition to their role as the creators of the original I-6, Ravenloft) I would not expect a greater role than that for them in a rebooted DragonLance, either. That is the nature of corporately owned IP.

We can quibble about babies and bathwater and how much water to keep -- but I'm all for a reboot, not a rebake with the same recipe.

As for DragonLance novel fans... There have been over 170+ of those novels released over the years. The degrees of skill exerted range from canon to slightly higher than published fan fiction. As is evident from most discussion groups online about it - the large majority of DragonLance fans are familiar with the novels, not the game - let alone the modules.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
Part of the issue is that this version of the cover is washed out. I assume, once it's got the proper saturation and more detail, it'll be more of a grabber.
The reason the cover image is washed out, is because the gem dragon is hazy to show it is in the distance, thus (successfully) emphasize the titanic size of these dragons.

You are probably correct, the ink-print will be darker and deeper, and more of a grabber.

pukunui

Legend
They still are a made race. This is from the PHB, "Shaped by draconic gods or the dragons themselves, dragonborn originally hatched from dragon eggs as a unique race, combining the best attributes of dragons and humanoids."

That's a much nicer way of saying that some sort of ritual changed the dragon eggs and created Dracon....er, Dragonborn.
Sure. That’s how the 5e versions were originally made (or so the stories go) but they now reproduce naturally.

The original 3e version were more like the VGR lineages in that they were originally some other race (human, elf, etc) but were transformed through a magical ritual into a new creature called a “Dragonborn”. Every Dragonborn in existence was a product of that ritual, not just the first few.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The steel dragon began its life as the Greyhawk dragon. It first appeared in the transitional book, Greyhawk Adventure, which preceeded 2e but was marketed as being compatible with 2e.

Remove ads

Remove ads