OD&D The one man army is awesome.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
On the other hand, the army commander’s fluff text clearly indicates that its unit-buffing is due to its “moral support” and inspiring the troops to “fight harder when he was nearby”
There is a story of Alexander the Great directly to the front of the battle and charging in on his own... some saw it as guilting his troops into protecting him.
A hero's presence inspiring others to stand strong, be brave and do their best or try harder to keep up is totally in keeping flavor wise too. It may not be explicit guidance but inspirational. Alexanders tactical genius seems to have made it inspiring and explicit guidance both. He also took over the known world while very young.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
There is a story of Alexander the Great directly to the front of the battle and charging in on his own... some saw it as guilting his troops into protecting him.
A hero's presence inspiring others to stand strong, be brave and do their best or try harder to keep up is totally in keeping flavor wise too. It may not be explicit guidance but inspirational. Alexanders tactical genius seems to have made it inspiring and explicit guidance both. He also took over the known world while very young.
Alexander is one of those figures that stands astride history and legend enough that I could see him being represented by an army commander in a more historically themed campaign, or possibly by a hero in a fantasy campaign, although I’m not familiar with stories about him that focus on his individual skill as a hand to hand combatant to that extent.

I could also see an Agamemnon or Odysseus having the qualities of both types of figures.

Last edited:

Remove ads