The One Ring 2E: General Discussion Thread

Reynard

Legend
With the release of the first Alpha build of The One Ring 2E to Kickstarter backers, I thought I would open up a space where we can discuss our thoughts on and plans for the game.

I have not had a chance to dig into the game yet, but I am set to start my TOR2 campaign in September. I am buttoning up a couple D&D campaigns in the next couple of weeks and consolidating my game time and groups to make for a single more significant session per week. This will give me all of August to prepare, which is nice.

I am on the fence on when to set my campaign. My favorite non-Trilogy period in ME history is the fall of Arnor and the wars against the Witch King. But I am also considering a campaign that starts just before the War of the Ring, set in the North, and moves fairly quickly through the War in the North to come out on the other side to be an early 4th Age game. What are you planning to do?

PabloM

Adventurer
With the release of the first Alpha build of The One Ring 2E to Kickstarter backers, I thought I would open up a space where we can discuss our thoughts on and plans for the game.

I have not had a chance to dig into the game yet, but I am set to start my TOR2 campaign in September. I am buttoning up a couple D&D campaigns in the next couple of weeks and consolidating my game time and groups to make for a single more significant session per week. This will give me all of August to prepare, which is nice.

I am on the fence on when to set my campaign. My favorite non-Trilogy period in ME history is the fall of Arnor and the wars against the Witch King. But I am also considering a campaign that starts just before the War of the Ring, set in the North, and moves fairly quickly through the War in the North to come out on the other side to be an early 4th Age game. What are you planning to do?
Would you mind commenting what changes the second edition has compared to the first from what you could see of the Alpha document? You don't need to develop anything specific, just roughly.
Thank you!

I’ve been wondering when and where to set a TOR2 game as well. My main issue is that the campaigns I like running the most are ones where the characters really shape the setting—where they’re the Aragons and Frodos and Sams. I backed this game and really want to get my hands on it, but I feel like the only way I’d actually run it is as an alternate setting, like where the Fellowship fails and others have to step in, or maybe much much later in the setting, when some subsequent shadow emerges.

Reynard

Legend
Would you mind commenting what changes the second edition has compared to the first from what you could see of the Alpha document? You don't need to develop anything specific, just roughly.
Thank you!
Probably not. I owned TOR1 but never played it deeply, so I am not familiar enough to enumerate the differences. I will give my impressions once I have a chance to carefully read through the alpha, though.

Reynard

Legend
I’ve been wondering when and where to set a TOR2 game as well. My main issue is that the campaigns I like running the most are ones where the characters really shape the setting—where they’re the Aragons and Frodos and Sams. I backed this game and really want to get my hands on it, but I feel like the only way I’d actually run it is as an alternate setting, like where the Fellowship fails and others have to step in, or maybe much much later in the setting, when some subsequent shadow emerges.
I toy with the idea of replacing the LotR protagonists with whatever the players create but that seems like a lot of work for a potentially lackluster campaign. I am leaning harder toward letting them make the 4th Age their own.

I have only briefly flicked through the PDF myself. It looks great already, the red and yellow hue is lovely and the double page spreads are appropriately dreamlike. I never read the first edition, but I did read AiME; in the years since I have waned in my affection for D&D 5e so am curious to see how this feels. So far it reminds me a lot of the other Free League games, which probably isn’t surprising!

Remove ads