The opposite of OSR

Aging Bard

Canaith
3e D&D. The OSR is typified by rulings over rules and is rules-lite as a result. So a rules complete version like 3e or Pathfinder fills the bill.

Hussar

Legend
I've never understood the claims about earlier D&D being "rules light". Good grief. You have to take how many steps to determine whether an attack hit or not in AD&D? Something about fifteen if you actually do the steps and don't ignore them. How in the world can a game which actually details the exact space you require to swing a sword possibly be considered "rules light"?

darjr

I crit!
What a question!

It definitely depends. I mean there are folks that say when a PC can define things in the world or setting, like some FATE games do.

Or like others, when there are rules for everything. Or rules for what your character CAN do but also if they don't have those features they CAN'T do them.

Or a hyper focused rule set on a particular style of play.

Or a combination of the above.

Wikipedia has this in it for what OSR is, in a nutshell.
So the opposite of that would be: A complete set of rules as possible, or a set of rules meant to cover every situation even if they are light and very abstract. A game where the DM doesn't have to decide or arbitrate things during the game, the results are plain from the play following the rules. Game balance between players would be enforced by the rules. Player skill or ingenuity would not be required and in fact may be against the rules. Skill with the rules of the GAME is most important.

But I don't think that makes much sense? Just an opposite stating of that previous OSR style?

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
What a question!

It definitely depends. I mean there are folks that say when a PC can define things in the world or setting, like some FATE games do.

Or like others, when there are rules for everything. Or rules for what your character CAN do but also if they don't have those features they CAN'T do them.

Or a hyper focused rule set on a particular style of play.

Or a combination of the above.

Wikipedia has this in it for what OSR is, in a nutshell.

So the opposite of that would be: A complete set of rules as possible, or a set of rules meant to cover every situation even if they are light and very abstract. A game where the DM doesn't have to decide or arbitrate things during the game, the results are plain from the play following the rules. Game balance between players would be enforced by the rules. Player skill or ingenuity would not be required and in fact may be against the rules. Skill with the rules of the GAME is most important.

But I don't think that makes much sense? Just an opposite stating of that previous OSR style?
It strikes me that PF2 hews somewhat closely to the hypothetical opposite OSR that you’ve described:

Comprehensive ruleset? PF2 really tries to flesh out the rules for all modes of play, not just combat.
Rules vs. Rulings? PF2’s got fewer gaps in the rules, which presumably minimizes the need for ad-hoc rulings, though obviously rulings are still a thing.
Game balance enforced by the rules? Definitely a major feature of PF2’s design.
Player skill/ingenuity discouraged or disallowed? Eh, not really. I guess you could argue the tighter the ruleset, the less room for player creativity.
System mastery prioritized over “skilled play”? Definitely. “Skilled play” in PF2 is all about knowing how to leverage the quirks of the system to your advantage (e.g. knowing that attacking with your third action is often a waste, whereas the feat assurance:athletics will allow you to make better use of your third action in combat).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
4e (ducks)
I originally read this as "4th Edition, but only with ducks" and I'm kind of into it.

1626063886321.png

1626063918513.png

1626063972599.png

1626064011588.png

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
OSR is light mechanics, light rules, and heavy DM rulings.
NSR would be heavy mechanics, heavy rules, and and light DM rulings. So 3.X

Newer school rennesaince would be streamlined mechanics, standardized rules, and and heavy player ruling. So 4e, Fate, PBTA, and stuff like that.

Remove ads