The Orville - Season 1

Ryujin

Legend
I did notice that while the leg seemed to have been removed below the knee, when it fell from its hiding place in the ceiling it looked to have been removed closer to the hip. It must have been regenerating up there in its hiding place! Good thing they found it when they did or it might have eventually grown into another full-grown helmsman!

Also, I see we got some sort of "photon torpedo" in this episode - the weapon the Orville used to shut down the wormhole. What with the potential for the teleport device to become a future "transporter" technology, about all we're missing from Star Trek now is a universal translator - although given the fact that all of the alien species are speaking the same language, we can assume there's something like that already in play, if not out on display front and center.

Johnathan

I will admit that seeing the leg that fell from the ceiling had me wondering if we were going to find out that someone else has also lost a leg. Continuity error.

CapnZapp

Legend
I will admit that seeing the leg that fell from the ceiling had me wondering if we were going to find out that someone else has also lost a leg. Continuity error.
Huh? Your first thought was "since that's clearly not his leg, whose is it?"

Talk about nitpicking - I didn't even consider any other possibility than that they had found his old leg.

(The simple fact it made for a quick sight gag was enough for me, no need to overthink a show from the creator of Family Guy)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the humor and the story-telling is improving episode by episode. I think they might find the right balance yet. (Or maybe they have already.)
Actually I would be slightly disappointed if they settle without any deeply immature jokes.

Thank god for that scene where Theron relates the "diplomatic gesture" - without that small piece of dialog there would have been no sign she didn't play her role entirely straight (and thus boring)

Ryujin

Legend
Huh? Your first thought was "since that's clearly not his leg, whose is it?"

Talk about nitpicking - I didn't even consider any other possibility than that they had found his old leg.

(The simple fact it made for a quick sight gag was enough for me, no need to overthink a show from the creator of Family Guy)

Nitpicking because I saw something obvious and thought that they were taking the joke further? Oooookay....

I did notice that while the leg seemed to have been removed below the knee, when it fell from its hiding place in the ceiling it looked to have been removed closer to the hip. It must have been regenerating up there in its hiding place! Good thing they found it when they did or it might have eventually grown into another full-grown helmsman!
When he fell over out of bed I recall it being amputated mid-thigh.

But the show is lowish budget. I imagine they just borrowed a prop leg from the Fox prop department rather than making an entire new fake leg for two shots.

Richards

Legend
When he first hobbled onto the bridge screaming for Isaac's head, you could see the stump below the knee poking out from the leg of his shorts.

But I agree with his (eventual) assessment: as practical jokes go, that one was awesome (give the ability to regrow the leg without too much fuss - it would have sucked otherwise)!

Johnathan

Remove ads