The Orville - Season 1

CapnZapp

Legend
The Krill did state that a soul is judged by the sword of the Krill that wields it and are just fine with attacking unarmed targets/civilians, but when it comes to human killing hostile Krill show the humans lacks soul (the opposite of how the Krill judge themselves).
Not sure I can parse your sentence, but I can say that I did not get the impression the Krill are continously scanning other species for a soul.

While their Bible might say so, I'm getting the impression that was a done deal - that their religion teaches us that once upon a time every other race than the Krill was found wanting.

It's not that the teacher was actively judging Mercer, as in forming her own conclusion, that you then find illogical.

She was dead-set in her belief he lacks a soul and sees his actions in that light: while they were about to kill millions of colonists, ***they all lacked a soul***.

In contrast, Mercer killed dozens of souls - a much larger crime in her view.

That he saved the children only meant they had to grow up bitter and with enmity. That he is soulless is beyond question, though.

The judgement only happened once, in the Krill's mythical past. It isn't something ongoing that leads the Krill to reevaluate their belief simply by actions of compassion.

At least, that's my take-away. Her reaction is many things, but not illogical.

(Of course, I fully anticipate the Orville *forcing* the Krill to reevaluate eventually)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

The latest episode certainly did bring in a harsh moral dilemma. And it didn't shy away from the ramifications. Mercer totally radiclalized a bunch of youths, by murdering the people on their ship. Possibly family members.

The krill religion isn't really that extreme either. The Bible is pretty clear that only humans have souls. When/if we do meet aliens, there's going to be a lot of religious folk convinced they're really demons or lack souls or need to be converted to Christianity.

Kaodi

Hero
Why would the Krill hate a bunch of soulless beings though? If they do not have souls, there is nothing there for them to hate. Dealing with the Union might be a matter of clearing away a dangerous pest, but if all of the other races are just biological machines it does not make much sense to ascribe crimes to them, in the same way we do not suggest animals have committed a crime when they kill humans. We just kill the killer animal and move on.

Not sure I can parse your sentence, but I can say that I did not get the impression the Krill are continously scanning other species for a soul.

Sorry for my weird sentence, but the reasoning for other beings not having a soul was stated from the Krill's holy book. It was along a soul is judged the sword, or in other words the strength of their warcraft. But when other being show their strength at war it is used to justify that they lack a soul. The opposite of how the Krill themselves judge that they have souls. Thus One Rule For Me, And Another For Three.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The latest episode certainly did bring in a harsh moral dilemma. And it didn't shy away from the ramifications. Mercer totally radiclalized a bunch of youths, by murdering the people on their ship. Possibly family members.

The krill religion isn't really that extreme either. The Bible is pretty clear that only humans have souls. When/if we do meet aliens, there's going to be a lot of religious folk convinced they're really demons or lack souls or need to be converted to Christianity.

There have been writers who have novels along those lines.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why would the Krill hate a bunch of soulless beings though? If they do not have souls, there is nothing there for them to hate. Dealing with the Union might be a matter of clearing away a dangerous pest, but if all of the other races are just biological machines it does not make much sense to ascribe crimes to them, in the same way we do not suggest animals have committed a crime when they kill humans. We just kill the killer animal and move on.

And yet we know of humans who can be said to "hate" particular animals or species.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorry for my weird sentence, but the reasoning for other beings not having a soul was stated from the Krill's holy book. It was along a soul is judged the sword, or in other words the strength of their warcraft. But when other being show their strength at war it is used to justify that they lack a soul. The opposite of how the Krill themselves judge that they have souls. Thus One Rule For Me, And Another For Three.
And my point was that perhaps their scripture shouldn't be taken to indicate an active and continuous appraisal of the soul status of other species, just that Avis once passed judgement.

In other words, perhaps it's not as much a case of double standards or bad logic as you might think.

Of course I'm not saying the alternative - fundamentalistic inflexibility - is any better...

I just responded to the way - you've repeated your criticism three times now - you seem to take it for granted that the teacher actively evaluated Mercers soul status.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...as opposed to just reacting instinctively and emotionally to the tragedy of the loss of her crew mates. Perhaps enhanced by suspicions that they were behind the destruction of the other ship as well.

Remove ads