The Orville - Season 1

Kaodi

Hero
I kind of wish the show had a bit better production values, and that some of the less entertaining running gags were dropped. I do not know if that would bring it too close to being straight Star Trek though. Like, the sets could afford to look a little bit more real I think (though the budget might not necessarily afford it). The slime can go. And the humour could be sharper at times. The stuff they give Jimm- I mean, Scott Grimes, can be a little tooooo on the nose silly. But I manage to enjoy the show.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Aggressive, expansionist theocracies are a real thing. So are likewise aggressive, expansionist secular societies...and completely non-theistic ones. Why eliminate an option from your writers' bag of tricks?

Mallus

Legend
I personally hate when they mix sci-fi with open politics/religion. They did that with Star Trek: DS9 and I found it took away from the show.
They did it at lot in the original Star Trek series, too. It's still fair not to like it, but you have to admit religion and politics have been in Trek's DNA since 1966.

edit: I mean, ham-fisted religious and political allegory is kinda a defining trait in Trek and Trek-like sci-fi.

Orius

Legend
Considering how badly the infiltration team was acting, I was surprised the Krill did not put them into medical supervision.

Lt. Gordon Malloy definately needs to learn now to keep his mouth shut on such missions, or any away missions for that matter.

So will the UNION give the Captain an award? His mission, to get a scan of the holy book of the Krill so the union can get a better understanding of the Krill.

Why get just a scan, when we can deliver an actually book housed in an actual Krill Destroyer ship!

Or would they give him a reprimand for putting the mission at rick for saving the Krill Kids from the killer UV rays?

Agreed with Malloy, he said so many stupid things, I'm surprised they didn't get caught. But it's part of the show's more comedic bent.

Then too, the Krill acted friendly enough until he finally was caught. Maybe there's an element of Not So Different here.

Why would they reprimand the captain for saving the kids? It's well within the spirit of Trek they're trying to capture here.

Aggressive, expansionist theocracies are a real thing. So are likewise aggressive, expansionist secular societies...and completely non-theistic ones. Why eliminate an option from your writers' bag of tricks?

And then there is the One Rule For Me, Another For Thee way of thinking that they have on top of it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Technically, since it was an intel gathering mission with an eye towards finding common grounds upon which a Krill-Union peace treaty could be built, his saving of the kids did not jeopardize the stated mission of obtaining a copy of the holy book (they had already achieved half of their mission directive- they just needed to get back). Those who were spared- kids & one adult (of unknown competence) would present little threat to their odds of return or ability to follow through on the plan they adopted on their own initiative, namely, thwarting the weapons test on the unsuspecting colonists. Besides, saving innocents would be well within Union ethical codes.

In addition, their mercy towards the kids may also provide leverage in the negotiations, if any materialize.

Remove ads