WotC The other snake in the grass: the Wizards Fan Content Policy

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This is what I have so far for my patent-pending products...

Magnetic Mini has no.....

Effin' magnets, how do they work?

For that matter, frakkin' law, how does it work? If you are unsure, get legal advice. Real legal advice. From a licensed attorney, in your jurisdiction, that you are paying. Or take your chances "taking down" a large corporation that can afford their own giant team of winged monkeys well-dressed BigLaw attorneys. The choice is yours.

And the Community wept when they heard Anaxarchus discourse about an infinite number of policies that WoTC had, and when others inquired what ailed them, "Is it not worthy of tears," the Community said, "that, when the number of policies is infinite, the Community has not yet fought against them all?"
-Plutarch, confusingly.
Netflix's Cleopatra Documentary has nothing on you :ROFLMAO:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hey. I have come up with a system that I cannot disclose, and I am writing my T&C's ect. I was wondering if you could help me? As an observation, they are deliberately obfuscating legal documentation e.g. "Don’t use Wizards’ IP in other games." by including in the same sentence "your own or other people’s games or game components (e.g., rule books, tokens, figures), regardless of whether it is distributed for free".

I am of the understanding that physical products built on top of gaming mechanics in similar nature or likeness is allowed. "Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles - The Board Game Designers Guide to US Intellectual Property Law –... "
-->
Therefore WotC are in fact abusing copywriting claims by explicitly implying something which is not true. Solely to discourage the creation of new or like systems e.g. fictional in nature which fall outside a particular character's attribute(s) e,g, story and related characters or in this instance (worlds). In essence, they are lumping false pretenses into a non-legally binding document to deliberately obfuscate others from building physical products which can be used including but not limited to dungeons and dragons.

First, a Fan Content Policy is what it says - a POLICY. It is a warning to fans about what, by policy, they will consider actionable, and what they won't. There is no claim that it is legally binding. It is just a statement of their intent and boundaries.

Next, the Fan Content Policy is about FAN content, not professional content. If you are a fan, and write up some stuff you're using in your home game to post on the internet, or you wrote a funny song you want to put on youtube, you can turn to the FCP of guidance on what's okay. If you are a company, making product for sale, the Fan Content Policy isn't applicable.

Do go speak to an intellectual property lawyer before hoping to "take them down".

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Effin' magnets, how do they work?
cae.jpg

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
But seriously though: why so confrontational? Just publish your* game. If people like what you've created* they will buy it, there's no need to "take down" anyone.

*This assumes you are creating and publishing your own original work. If you're trying to publish someone else's IP, you're going to get laughed at (at best).

Remove ads