D&D 5E The Pilosus, a player race with 6 Genders for your 5th edition Sci Fi setting

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
[MENTION=57112]Gradine[/MENTION]: Hmm... My notifications seem to think you just quoted me. Ahh, well. I wholeheartedly agree with your call to keep this conversation focused on pretend aliens.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
[MENTION=57112]Gradine[/MENTION]: Hmm... My notifications seem to think you just quoted me. Ahh, well. I wholeheartedly agree with your call to keep this conversation focused on pretend aliens.

I had, in fact, but I quickly re-considered that that post wasn't really keeping with the spirit of my initial call to change the topic of conversation, and so erased it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Quartz, it is obvious you don't have anything better to do than piss on others works, i would be grateful if you just move on and not respond to any of my posts as your replays are not helpful. And as to the sexes, it is an alien race and part of their reproductive system for that race, and up to the players to decide what they want to role play and in what way its not me as a DM to dictate it to them.
If you have a problem with another poster’s comments, please try NOT to escalate things in thread. Don’t make it personal. Report them, put them on your ignore list (preferably without a salty announcement that you’re doing so), or both.

dwayne

Adventurer
If you have a problem with another poster’s comments, please try NOT to escalate things in thread. Don’t make it personal. Report them, put them on your ignore list (preferably without a salty announcement that you’re doing so), or both.

But i love salt [video]https://media.giphy.com/media/QOgvV9rV4hHpgNRBfQ/giphy.mp4[/video]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
and your an expert on alien life forms and xenobiology as well as first hand knowledge of all life in the universe

I understand that your offering may not have been met with as much positive feedback as you might like, but when someone offers you a bit of real-world science you might use as a guideline, jumping down their throat is not appropriate. Just because you are unhappy about it does not make it okay to get aggressive with people.

You put it out there in a public discussion forum. You should have been ready for discussion before you did that. Consider that for next time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Anytime someone on the right speaks of gender they are speaking of one's role in reproduction. Not their role in society. "Modern Gender Theory" is an attempt to rewrite the definition of various terms in order to advance an agenda.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is getting into politics. Don't go there, unless you want a vacation.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
They’re worse than rabbits, and would fill a world in just a few generations if they had no checks in place. Once they reached a technological level where they could defeat whatever it is that used to keep their population in check, they would spread throughout the galaxy like a virus.

Which, by the way, is the story of the Krogan race in Mass Effect.
The krogan population dilemma doesn't make much sense.
  • According to the timeline, it took many centuries for their population to reach the point where they started invading other inhabited planets. This actually makes their reproduction look far more comparable to humans. We can probably chalk this up less to "inherently breeding like rabbits" and more to "incompetent morons who don't know how to use condoms or pull their population out of poverty."
  • According to in-game statements about their reproduction, a krogan woman can birth ~1000 babies per year (different sources contradict whether they lay eggs or give live birth). The problem here is that it isn't physically possible for krogan couples to have a thousand kids per year every year, nor logistically feasible for them to raise a thousand kids every year especially if it takes more than one year for krogans to mature (for comparison, the fastest growing mammal on Earth is the blue whale, which doubles in size in its first six months; however, blue whales reproduce very sparsely like humans). This is directly contradicted by a krogan woman talked to in one of the games, who only had a handful of children in her entire life--all of which were stillborn.
  • According to one of the ending slides in ME3, a krogan child is proportional to a human child compared to its parents and krogan couples only appear to have one kid and not the thousands you'd expect. This further reinforces that they reproduce more like humans than ants or rabbits.

We don't even know how long it takes krogans to reach maturity, aside from being fast enough that the salarians (hive-based reptiles who reproduce quickly and have extremely short lifespans) were able to farm krogan children as soldiers against the rachni (space ants). Given the statements about their population growth you'd think they'd be an entire race of child prodigies (like the salarians) in order to advance as quickly as they did, but there's no evidence that this is the case.

The whole krogan population dilemma represents a fundamental misunderstanding of population dynamics and life-history paradigms in nature. There's no possible way that the krogan could function as described, contradictions aside. Unless we're expected to believe that either 1) krogans are baby-eating psychos that raise their children in horrific factory farm conditions, or 2) that the Citadel will use a genophage against every one of its member species eventually because every race has non-zero population growth and will inevitably go to war over limited resources.

I can't imagine a population control dilemma that makes any sense without relying on everyone acting like idiots, because rampant idiocy is the only way that things could ever get so bad that you have to choose whether or not to perform what is legally genocide.

Of course, that is hardly the worst of the scientific inaccuracies present in Mass Effect. I see lots of people praising it for being one of the "hardest" mainstream scifi settings, but objectively it is barely harder than Star Trek and Star Wars.

tglassy

Adventurer
According to in-game statements about their reproduction, a krogan woman can birth ~1000 babies per year (different sources contradict whether they lay eggs or give live birth). The problem here is that it isn't physically possible for krogan couples to have a thousand kids per year every year, nor logistically feasible for them to raise a thousand kids every year especially if it takes more than one year for krogans to mature (for comparison, the fastest growing mammal on Earth is the blue whale, which doubles in size in its first six months; however, blue whales reproduce very sparsely like humans).

You're forgetting that the planet they were living on was so hostile to life, most chidren never reached maturity, and the adults died left and right. Only the strongest, and luckiest, actually survived. They needed the high birth rate in order to combat this and keep the species going. Out the thousands born, only a few would actually survive until adulthood, and considering there are animals who leave their young to themselves, it is possible that this is what Krogan did before they went off world. Once they had a means to keep all their children alive until adulthood, their population exploded. In a few hundred years they were swarming the galaxy.

It would be like i crocodiles somehow learned how to make sure all their eggs hatched and grew to maturity. Crocs lay up to 100 eggs at a time, but most die before reaching maturity. If they didn't, then the crocodile population would explode, prey would become scarce, and they would spread to find new prey. Literally no different.

This is directly contradicted by a krogan woman talked to in one of the games, who only had a handful of children in her entire life--all of which were stillborn.

No, this is the genophage. Krogan at the time of Mass Effect have not been able to have many children for a long time because of it. Most of their children are stillborn. So yeah, NOW they don't have a huge number of kids, but that's the whole point of the genophage. It contradicts nothing. it is literally the story.

It's also very difficult to infer any information by looking at a single slide.

The rest of your post is confusing, because we don't know how long it takes for a Krogan to reach maturity, but we do know they were able to be grown quickly to be soldiers for a war. That, itself, would suggest that they have an abnormally large breeding rate. And that suggests a fairly quick maturity rate. So you give evidence for them having high birth rate and quick maturity rate, but seem to be claiming that evidence shows the opposite. And I'm not sure what you're talking about them being child prodigies. They're an intelligent race that matures to adulthood much, much faster than humans do. By our standards yeah, they would be 'child prodigies'. They're easily as intelligent as any other race, they have engineers and scientists. And they piggyback off of other races.

I'm not saying there aren't inaccuracies in the game about fictional creatures, just that these arguments don't entirely follow.

Scott Graves

First Post
Wh... what does that even mean?

Reliable birth control created the Sexual Revolution. Women could take a pill and remove the consequences of sex. It forced us to rethink the traditional gender roles.

A method of taking the various fluids and such from one or more of the genders and bring it over so less than five of them could make offspring. I mean, if you're kind of a jerk and can only find one or two other jerks who want to hook up then you could pull it off with a device that they can collect the other juices from the genders you can't get to dance with you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases