D&D 5E The Pilosus, a player race with 6 Genders for your 5th edition Sci Fi setting

I disagree vehemently. It isn’t “survival of the physically fittest”, it is “survival of those who survived”. Sometimes being able to outsmart your opponent is better than being physically more powerful, and it is entirely possible that those who survived did so not simply due to overwhelming strength, but because they were smarter. The smarter ones learn how to defend against predators easier, their “technology” level slowly increases, building upon those who lived before, until they reach a threshold where most of the previous problems plaguing them are fixed, and then technology explodes.

Except you just said the young would be left in the wild to live and grow until I assume they hit a certain age. This method of culling numbers 100% contradicts as the best example human scientific evolution which came from the combining of activities which allowed the creation of surpluses which then allowed for the specialization of some member of society in activities beyond mere survival.

tglassy

Adventurer
I simply used it as an example of one possibility. And even so, all it takes to become technologically advanced as a species is to continually build upon the generations before. Once certain breakthroughs are made and the technique widely spread, overall technology advances. The specifics of the society in question doesn’t matter. Sure, some societies work BETTER for this, but that doesn’t mean others won’t, and there simply isn’t enough information given to truly discount the Krogans as a viable race where the tendency towards overpopulation is a problem.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I’m not disagreeing with any of that. My disagreement was on how the Krogens were developed, whether or not the problem was realistic, and whether they were consistent within the lore itself. Since we aren’t given enough information to make such judgements, using pieces of information to extrapolate the answers you want grates against my logic processors.

Whether the moral problem is a good one or not is a different problem altogether, and never had anything to do with what I was talking about. If you’d rather concede my points and move on to another, more related subject then I’d be happy to do so.

You're right. We simply aren't given enough information to make an informed analysis, and what information we are given simply doesn't make any sense because there were too many writers and they didn't talk enough.

Pretty much every logical explanation I can contrive breaks the dilemma by making the krogan look like callous killing machines and so stupid that they would prefer to invade inhabited planets rather than use condoms.

(Also, the whole situation requiring the krogan to be uplifted in the first place doesn't make a lot of sense to begin with. On modern Earth our military is becoming increasingly robotized, so it stands to reason that future wars won't need anywhere near as many soldiers as past wars did. Not to mention the existence of weapons of mass destruction like relativistic kill vehicles that can turn the crusts of planets into molten hellscapes. It doesn't really make much sense to send krogans into rachni colonies to kill their queens when you can incinerate or disintegrate the planet itself. Since element zero is just unobtainium that makes the Alcubierre drive feasible by letting you arbitrarily manipulate gravity irrespective of mass, then you can use a regular warp drive to barbecue the planets in question because the mathematical equations concerning real warp drives show that is possible.)

Regardless of whether one can contrive a logical explanation, the moral dilemma is both a false dichotomy and blatantly sadistic because it only gives you an absurd binary choice between "commit genocide against the krogan" or "commit genocide against everyone who is not krogan."

Andromeda pretty much kills the dilemma by having the expedition bring krogans along with absolutely no concern for their supposedly rapid reproduction. Guess it must have been racist propaganda, right?

Dear God, I hate Mass Effect so much. Bioware did not think through the consequences of their writing. How difficult would it have been to hire a proofreader to maintain continuity and to consult actual scientists and ethics professors rather than read Wikipedia?

I simply used it as an example of one possibility. And even so, all it takes to become technologically advanced as a species is to continually build upon the generations before. Once certain breakthroughs are made and the technique widely spread, overall technology advances. The specifics of the society in question doesn’t matter. Sure, some societies work BETTER for this, but that doesn’t mean others won’t, and there simply isn’t enough information given to truly discount the Krogans as a viable race where the tendency towards overpopulation is a problem.
I find it highly unlikely that a species would develop a complex social structure without raising their own offspring.

Every single species on Earth with a complex social structure engages in the raising of their own offspring (or other relatives). This ensures that their genes survive in future generations. In a species where the adults do not raise their own offspring, there would be absolutely no selection pressure to develop a social structure without child rearing since they gain vastly less benefit from it compared to a structure which allows them to identify their own offspring. Since instructing unrelated children doesn't pass the teacher's genes, and they have no way to ensure their genes are passed in their social system (like human teachers do; i.e. their paycheck helps them to raise their own children), then there would be no pressure to develop complex social behavior since it provides no benefit to passing on your own genes.

What little we are told of the krogan social norms claims that they conceive and raise offspring similarly to how humans do. This was obviously written by a different writer than whoever claimed krogans lay a thousand eggs a year.

I'm having difficulty imagining an intelligent civilization with an overpopulation problem on the same level as the krogan supposedly had. Earlier you used human overpopulation as an example, but the problem with that is that human population growth is driven by poverty and lack of birth control. Our rate of growth actually peaked years ago and is steadily decreasing due to increasing affluence. Our current rate of growth is 1.07% per year for 2018-9, which decreases by 0.02% per year. That means in about 50 years our population will stop growing and then decline. That's assuming that no technological, economic or environmental change occurs over that time, which is unlikely.

In order for humanity to be placed into a similar position to the krogan, when all of the population growth is occurring among the poor, then you need special socio-economic provisions. Space travel needs to be cheap enough that you can just casually ship billions of those overpopulated poor people off-world, and the rich people in charge need to care enough about the poor to bother helping them get off-world and fight wars with other intelligent species to get new habitats (as opposed to building arcologies, ignoring the problem or engaging in mass murder of the poor). That state of affairs doesn't seem believable for humanity, since the political parties that denigrate birth control are the same ones who express extreme contempt for the poor.

I could understand if the aliens were some "devouring swarm" type deal like the tyranids or zerg, but at that point there's no room for a dilemma because they're trying to eat you.

5ekyu

Hero
That isn't helpful. The Newcomers in Alien Nation had a cool set up where the male impregnated the female in much the normal way, but only during a certain time of year (They had a cool insult which translates to "you mate out of season") because they are very ritual based. But at one point the male starts to develop a pouch and in yet another real cool ceremony they then transfer the infant from the female to the male pouch in which it resides for the other half of the gestation period. It is a way cool deal and it only takes two genders. So when I ask "how do they do it" I am genuinely curious about the methodology.
About the newcomers - they had three sexes. There was a third who got involved in the "mechanics" when a couple wanted to reproduce. Their inclusion change it from a form of recreation to procreation and they were honored.

I adapted this (and borrowed from other scifi) with my own runs at tri-genders by having the third gender be the one who carried the child. Again, their inclusion move the activity from recreation to procreation and so they became part of the family. In my culture, the third gender tended to remain as caregiver until the child hit puberty. Then , sometime, they may move on if they have not spawned other kiddies in that family.

But there are a lot of ways i have seen tri-genders work.

Also, Enemy Mine used a solo gender alien.

So, really, to me, this concept for alien or fantasy species well pre-dates whatever modern cultural slants folks may want to paint it as.

Especially with examples of gender swapping occuring in real world animals.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What species has more than two sexes?

Did a quick search and there are species with multiple genders though I find at least some of the examples to be dubious at best. One example I read was of the coho salmon which suggested there were two male genders (still only two sexes male and female) and defined those two genders as the Jacks and Hooknose. Reading the description of each makes me think that if you used the same arguments with humans than you would call muscle heads and nerds as two different genders because they each are likely to have different reproductive strategies.

But, back to the main point. Please show me examples of species with three or more sexes. I can find some readings that suggest there are molds and slimes and mushrooms with multiple sexes but using examples from arguable the most simplistic lifeforms on earth as basis for advanced intelligent species having multiple sexes is rather thin.
Humans, for one. Human sex characteristics exist on a spectrum. There are the two extreme ends that people tend to think of as mutually exclusive categories, and they are the most common, but there are in fact a wide variety of variations between those extremes. The catch-all term for someone who exhibits a nonstandard set of sex characteristics is intersex. These kinds of variations occur throughout the animal kingdom.

Obviously one can create anything they want in a sci-fi or fantasy setting, but you are better off just handwaving the details as opposed to Star Treking them and creating elaborate rules and logic to justify as it just wont work, nor is it really necessary. No matter what the reality as we understand biology suggests against more than two sexes in advanced species.
There’s no reason to assume that extraterrestrial biology would follow the same rules as earth biology. And in earth biology, sex is a spectrum.

Humans, for one. Human sex characteristics exist on a spectrum. There are the two extreme ends that people tend to think of as mutually exclusive categories, and they are the most common, but there are in fact a wide variety of variations between those extremes. The catch-all term for someone who exhibits a nonstandard set of sex characteristics is intersex. These kinds of variations occur throughout the animal kingdom.

There’s no reason to assume that extraterrestrial biology would follow the same rules as earth biology. And in earth biology, sex is a spectrum.

You are diverting to a political activist argument that really serves no purpose.

For reproductive purposes, which is why sexes exist there are two options. To use crude language you are either a female and provide that requirement for reproduction or you are male and provide that requirement for reproduction. Visual based variations are just that visual and have no relevance, genetic variations are equally irrelevant unless those variations/mutations/whatever they should be called are severe enough to result in one being unable able to provide either one of the two requirements required to reproduce.

You are right, there is no reason to assume alien physiology would follow the same logic as earth biology. There is also no reason to assume that reproduction, which is the core reason for all living things to exist, would evolve in any manner that is more complicated than is necessary. I could see an alien physiology forming that had zero gender, every lifeform carried everything necessary to reproduce and thus could reproduce with any other lifeform of the same species, but adding more and more sexes and requiring all of them to work together is a evoloutionary disadvantage that decreases the likelihood of reproduction and general survival of the species in question.

I am going to bow out of this conversation at this point. In reference to the original post, you can create any alien you want, you will just have to do some elaborate hand-waving or explaining what caused a 6 sex species to evolve or explain why a species would "genetically" modify itself to require 6 sexes for reproduction.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
You are diverting to a political activist argument that really serves no purpose.

That is actually what you are doing. Charlaquin's post, on the other hand, contains scientifically accurate information which is actually quite relevant to the conversation.

Also, in the future I would avoid using the word "mutation" when referring to other actual human beings.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There is absolutely nothing political about the statement of the scientific fact that sex characteristics exist on a spectrum.

For reproductive purposes, which is why sexes exist there are two options. To use crude language you are either a female and provide that requirement for reproduction or you are male and provide that requirement for reproduction.
This is just not scientifically accurate. Do your research before trying to debate something.

Visual based variations are just that visual and have no relevance, genetic variations are equally irrelevant unless those variations/mutations/whatever they should be called are severe enough to result in one being unable able to provide either one of the two requirements required to reproduce.
If you insist on defining "sex" as what type of genetic material someone is capable of providing. But A.) that's not what the word means, and B.) that definition still results in more than two of the thing you're defining with the word "sex," since some people are not capable of providing any sort of genetic material.

Any way you slice it, gender and sex are both more complex than two immutable categories. The only political argument going on is the PC right trying to redefine those terms to serve their anti-LGBTQIA agenda.

You are right, there is no reason to assume alien physiology would follow the same logic as earth biology. There is also no reason to assume that reproduction, which is the core reason for all living things to exist, would evolve in any manner that is more complicated than is necessary. I could see an alien physiology forming that had zero gender, every lifeform carried everything necessary to reproduce and thus could reproduce with any other lifeform of the same species, but adding more and more sexes and requiring all of them to work together is a evoloutionary disadvantage that decreases the likelihood of reproduction and general survival of the species in question.
Yeah, and there's no reason to assume a reptile would evolve the ability to exhale ice. It's fiction, dude, get over it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases