• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Pixie is up!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Anybody have a link or book reference to art of a D&D pixie from this edition? I wanna sculpt a mini of one tonight, but I've never seen one in D&D canon so I don't know what to make it look like.

Also: what's the most ridiculous melee class you can do well with CHA+INT/DEX? Off the top of my head, it's a full match for a Rogue, a primary half-match for a Ranger, Swordmage, or Assassin, and a secondary half-match for a Barbarian or Paladin... hrm...
You could build a fun melee sorcerer using [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION]' material from his article in Dragon 390, and supplement with as many close powers as you could find. Chaos Sorcerer would make a particularly fun fit.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Also: what's the most ridiculous melee class you can do well with CHA+INT/DEX? Off the top of my head, it's a full match for a Rogue, a primary half-match for a Ranger, Swordmage, or Assassin, and a secondary half-match for a Barbarian or Paladin... hrm...

It's a full match for a Hexblade, Executioner, Bard, and Vampire. A primary half-match for Monk and Artificer. And a secondary half-match for Warlord.

Incenjucar

Legend
Witch seems promising. You could easily use the Witch to mimic the Al-Qadim sha'ir (using your familiar/genie to change your daily spells). For that alone, I give it a thumb up!

I had the same thought. Though their best spells will surely be different, and they'll probably have their own special effect, the witch and the sha'ir just seem to be the transmuter+cat/evoker+genie versions of each other, almost like the various flavors of Sentinel Druid.

MrMyth

First Post
Well, if you are only gonna go by only what is covered in the power text and I am thinking outside the text in wider uses, I guess we have nothing to talk about.

Good day.

What are the 'wider uses' you are thinking of? I really don't see anything that isn't pretty cleanly handled by the power, myself. It seems a rather elegant approach to make ti all work without creating an entirely new weapon size system.

the Jester

Legend
I think Pixies will be the first race I'm going to ban from my games. Not only is it stupid, but without clarification on how opportunity attacks work for tiny creatures, I'm just not interested in dealing with the head frack of it.

Err... exactly what clarification is needed? The rules have had this covered since the PH, and that's ignoring the pixie's "Wee Warrior" ability that gives it a reach of 1. Unless you think opportunity attacks for creatures with reach 1 need clarification?

No, it is not that simple. What about all the stuff about damage and such? Reach, etc?

And until the next extended rest is a long time. Take an hour to get twelve items tiny-sized and the whole party can use them all day. How does that work?

There's a "game stats remain unchanged" clause that covers your first question, and the power itself ends if the pixie puts something down. I'm not sure where the question lies here.

JPL

Adventurer
Obviously a pixie's 5 ft. reach represents the traditional flight combat technique pixie adventurers perfect, wherein they strafe past enemies then return to their starting position. It's all abstract. Also, magic.

Yep. They dart in like hummingbirds, unleash pixie steel, and dart back out again. Stay up close and you get squashed, and even if the Big Folk miss, there's backdrafts that can knock you right out of the air. Countless generations of adaptation in the magic-rich Feywild give some unique abilities to the locals --- eladrin teleportation, gnome invisibility --- and for little guys like the pixies, it's a whole suite of talents and the training to use them. They're natural giant-fighters, just like dwarves . . . but to pixies, we're the giants.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
I fall into the camp that thinks Shrink was poorly worded as well. I get the intent - Pixies count as Small for using equipment, and the player/DM can ignore the bits about re-sizing weapons and equipment. It's an elegant solution that wasn't written elegantly.

JPL

Adventurer
Now I gotta pitch a Dragon article on the pixies of Athas --- "Sectaurs" type little bastards made out of chitin, arcane magic, and angry.

Mirtek

Hero
While I agree that it's a whoopty-doo, they also can't due to their altitude limit, unless they feel like going to the bottom of that chasm and up the other side.
Altitude limit only means you crash if you end your turn higher than that, you can fly higher as far as you have speed. Thus a "running" pixie can fly as high as 24 squares (with action point), she would just crash afterwards (or cross a 23 squares wide chasm, no matter how deep it is)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads