Pathfinder 2E The playtest is here!!

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Observations:

1) Interesting that the playtest rulebook is a subset of a larger document. They must have already finished a draft of the entire rulebook.

2) The character sheet diagram with the numbers labeling where to find the rules to fill in each section is nicely done.

3) The section on how to generate ability scores is very polished, and very friendly to new players. Well done.

4) I was right about them making MAD builds easier. Ability boosts at 5, 10, 15, 20 go to 4 different stats, and give you a +2 up to 18, but only a +1 once you're at 18.

It is very newbie friendly, a bit verbose, but very well explained.

Kaodi

Hero
Seems a bit weird that dragons get weaker to their opposite as they get older. A young dragon may have weakness 5 (to fire or cold) but an ancient one has weakness 15.

Nork

First Post
Ability scores don't appear to be well explained, or are not explained where it is obvious.

Having a table listing the overhead press, dead lift, and drag for strength scores was really important for a strong character to do something strength related. Without that information the player and GM are going to get into an argument when the 1st level fighter says they lift a 350 pound rock over their head and heave it down at enemies below.

It also doesn't help that things like barbarian rages give bonuses to damage and not to strength. A barbarian can't rage to pick up a crazy heavy snapped mast of a ship and use it to sweep the deck.

Having clear descriptions of ability scores in real terms with quantified benchmarks that allow people to gauge what those scores should allow in meaningful terms is important for having people engage in real actions.

I also find it completely absurd that a bow is listed as a 1+ handed weapon while a bo staff is listed as a two handed weapon. So a bow user can open a door without having to spend two actions to remove their hand from the bow, but the bo staff user has to spend their entire turn to open a door (unequip bo staff, open door, re-equip bo staff... I mean COME ON guys...)

I hate to say it... but it feels very video-gamey when it doesn't have to. Not inherently like 4e did with their MMO cooldown bar of abilities for each class (I really LIKE 4e as an overall product), but like a system that didn't HAVE to video-gamey that was written by people too focused on gamey elements that they forget to take a step back and look at it from a story point of view instead of a combat simulator point of view.

Aldarc

Legend
I think the bard spell repertoire has a mistake, it says you learn 1 bard 1st level spell at 1st level, and I'm pretty sure it should be 2, comparing it to sorcerer.
Nope. Read through the Bard design diary they did about 1-2 weeks ago. It's intentional.

7) Rogues are definitely the skill class, and not the sneak attack class. 10+Int skills trained at 1st level. Skills feats and skill increases every level. Sneak attack starts at 1d6, and goes up at 5, 11, and 17. Man, I want to play a rogue multiclassed into a wizard right now.
Same.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Nope. Read through the Bard design diary they did about 1-2 weeks ago. It's intentional.
Ugh. That seems silly. "Your spell repertoire is exactly the same as your spells per day, minus 1 1st level spell." That's way too much of a proud nail.

Remove ads