The Quarry Ranger

1Mac

First Post
Link

It's not like I'm the only one who's homebrewed a 5e Ranger alternative. So what does this one have going for it?

-The same, but improved: The core ranger has a lot going for it. It has a few weaknesses; damage, some annoyingly situational powers, and a lack of a strong theme. In my take, many core powers are present, but changed to offer a lot more flexibility. These include Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer: No more hoping that your DM lets you fight undead in the woods to make the most of your powers.
-Theme: A bit of fighter, a dash of rogue, a smidgeon of druid; By trying to be too much, the core ranger winds up feeling like nothing at all. So I've tightened it up; the ranger is firstly a pro at living off the land, and secondly, befitting the survivalist theme, a master hunter. A couple newish core class features advance these themes, as do the enhanced Favored Enemy and Natural Explorers; and other class features tie build upon these features.
-No spells: At least not by default. A few new powers make up for the loss of spellcasting. And there is one new archetype that gains access to magic. Speaking of...
-The Watcher: I was trying to come up with a magic-using ranger archetype that didn't just feel like a tree-hugging Eldritch Night. By tying its mysticism to core abilities and beefing up Primeval Awareness, this is what I came up with. Picture a hunter who uses the very land itself to find, pursue, cajole, and terrify her prey.

I have no opportunity to playtest, so I appreciate thoughts and concerns. I feel that the Watcher in particular, while neat, could use some fresh eyeballs to make sure it works. But really everything could use a second glance. Thanks in advance, and enjoy!

PS: I should mention some inspiring influences. NecronPariah's ranger right here at ENWorld got my gears turning. Chris Delvo's take also found bits and pieces making their way into my version. Do check them out!

PSS: This is the same class first mentioned here. I didn't realize the boards would auto-generate a new post when I moved the document to the Downloads page.

Update, 4-25-16: New version
-complementary changes to Vanish and Favored Terrain (forest) abilities.
-Better defined and universalized the term "acclimated." Changed "Natural Explorer" to "Terrain Acclimation."
-Now hosted at ENWorld's Downloads page.

Last edited:

Remove ads