D&D General The Rakshasa and Genie Problem

Remathilis

Legend
I'm now wondering how they could all be spliced with something like what we sawn near the end of the Loki TV series ...
I mean, there was a setting that had non-gypsy Vistani, warforged, draconians, the Keep on the Borderlands, the Tomb of Horrors, Castle Ravenloft, etc, and was practically a Greatest Hits of the past 30+ years of D&D. It was called Nerath, and it was awesome. Too bad it was tainted with being the default setting for 4e and being rejected when 4e was.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I mean, there was a setting that had non-gypsy Vistani, warforged, draconians, the Keep on the Borderlands, the Tomb of Horrors, Castle Ravenloft, etc, and was practically a Greatest Hits of the past 30+ years of D&D. It was called Nerath, and it was awesome. Too bad it was tainted with being the default setting for 4e and being rejected when 4e was.
I played in some games, made some characters, and read some of the books, but never got much into the setting (probably curmudgeonly rejecting some of the changes to the default out of hand).

Voadam

Legend
I don't remember Nerath having Arabic or Indian cultures in the setting though.

Awesome fallen Dragonborn and Tiefling empires, but no specifically fantasy analogue Arabic or Indian ones that I recall.

Nerath was fantastic but not a kitchen sink of fantasy analogue kingdoms that I remember.

Not that I think a kitchen sink or even a full setting is required. Points of light and/or unexplained elements like genies and rakshasas can be lots of fun in a fantasy game. One option among many for different aesthetics and dynamics.

TheSword

Legend
Eberron is the most progressive and accommodating setting D&D is yet to produce. It’s extremely well thought out.

It’s already been released in full for 5e, with a companion Keith Baker hardback. The suggestion that Eberron is too toxic to produce is pretty crazy.

This is literally the first time we’ve heard of an issue with it, and even the OP doesn’t think it is a question of offense or racism. It’s a literal handful of people on here who think the genies and Rakshasa have racist depictions in Eberron and that is very tenuous!

Remathilis

Legend
I don't remember Nerath having Arabic or Indian cultures in the setting though.

Awesome fallen Dragonborn and Tiefling empires, but no specifically fantasy analogue Arabic or Indian ones that I recall.

Nerath was fantastic but not a kitchen sink of fantasy analogue kingdoms that I remember.

Not that I think a kitchen sink or even a full setting is required. Points of light and/or unexplained elements like genies and rakshasas can be lots of fun in a fantasy game. One option among many for different aesthetics and dynamics.
Nerrath was only lightly detailed beyond the Nentir Vale, so it wouldn't have been hard to add them without disruption. It would be a great foundation to build off of.

Ironically, Faerun has similar expansion opportunities, but level of detail it already has could be seen as a detriment.

Nerrath isn't perfect by any means, but it has enough blank space that adding what is needed would be trivial.
Is there a Nerath sourcebook? Google fails me. I only gave one 4e publication, but I’m interested.
Sadly, Nerrath's lore is scattered across countless 4e sourcebooks and Dragon Magazines. A sourcebook was in the works but cancelled when the Next playtest was announced. The best sources are various wikis.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Is there a Nerath sourcebook? Google fails me. I only gave one 4e publication, but I’m interested.
Sadly no sourcebook as Remathilis stated. The closest I have found to a compilation of Nentir Vale lore and mythology story pieced together by some fans from various official and semi-official sources.

Edit: Though, a large portion pf this compilation is of the lore pertains to the creation of the material plane and the Dawn Wars.

Remathilis

Legend
hyperbole.

de9fc4a88f0a50a1f33b9e04f454a8a6.jpg

Remove ads