THE REAL THING Is An Official RPG Based On 80s Band Faith No More

If Wendy's can have an official RPG, why not a rock band? This officially licensed tabletop RPG is inspired by the rock music of Faith No More's 1989 album, The Real Thing, and is on Kickstarter right now. Faith No More started in 1979 in California--although it only got its current name in 1983--and broke up in 1998. They reunited again a decade later. The Real Thing is Powered by the...

If Wendy's can have an official RPG, why not a rock band? This officially licensed tabletop RPG is inspired by the rock music of Faith No More's 1989 album, The Real Thing, and is on Kickstarter right now.

ftm.jpg

Faith No More started in 1979 in California--although it only got its current name in 1983--and broke up in 1998. They reunited again a decade later.

The Real Thing is Powered by the Apocalypse. It describes itself as a 1990's style dark and gritty RPG.Set in the 1990s, it's a 110-page zine-style book, intended to be the first in a 5-part series based on different albums.

First and foremost, this game is for fans of the dark, gritty RPGs of the 1990s. This was the height of Vampire: the Masquerade and its sibling titles. It was when many of us were discovering Anne Rice’s works. It was a time of grunge, the war on drugs, gangsta rap, and the goth-industrial lifestyle. The story is flooded with early '90s ambiance and flavor.

Hey Folks, this is Jason Ward, one of The Real Thing RPG's creators. Love this conversation!

I want to focus on the commentary about this being maddeningly vague... That is a criticism we haven't gotten a few times now. We are trying to rectify that with some of our updates on the Kickstarter page, but we are also trying to walk the line of not being too specific as to give away the story. Feel free to head over to the campaign and read the story and updates for more detail about it, though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If Wendy's can have an official RPG, why not a rock band? This officially licensed tabletop RPG is inspired by the rock music of Faith No More's 1989 album, The Real Thing, and is on Kickstarter right now.

View attachment 153581

Faith No More started in 1979 in California--although it only got its current name in 1983--and broke up in 1998. They reunited again a decade later.

The Real Thing is Powered by the Apocalypse. It describes itself as a 1990's style dark and gritty RPG.Set in the 1990s, it's a 110-page zine-style book, intended to be the first in a 5-part series based on different albums.

First and foremost, this game is for fans of the dark, gritty RPGs of the 1990s. This was the height of Vampire: the Masquerade and its sibling titles. It was when many of us were discovering Anne Rice’s works. It was a time of grunge, the war on drugs, gangsta rap, and the goth-industrial lifestyle. The story is flooded with early '90s ambiance and flavor.
WHAT.
IS.
IT?

It’s it.

WHAT.
IS.
IT?

Some truth to that, though I think these are a bunch of really big Faith No More fans who want to make an RPG, and I figure, more power to them. Ultra-niche, but I like that there are these ultra-obscure games out there.
To be clear, I was joking.

But more power to them.

Remove ads

Remove ads