• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Realms being the first 4e setting

d10

First Post
I perfectly OK with The Realms being the so-called "default" setting for D&D, just not in it's current state. I'd very much like to see some classic Realms hero characters fall, it's really time for that setting to be shaken up and have some new lore injected into IMO.

Even if i dont like 4e (looking likely the more I find out) the Forgotten Realms 4e core book and all FR suppliments will also be bought. I can and will reverse engineer any mechanis from it.

Mitchbones

First Post
I know little to nothing about The Realms, and it was always a turn off cause it had _tons of books for it_. I will defiantly be picking it up for 4e.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
smootrk said:
I think FR is great, but I will not be very interested if they dumb-down all the good stuff of the realms or otherwise strip it to its essentials, in order to make it work nice with the new rule setup. The Realms with all its weird goofiness is what makes it cool.

Mechanics are only mechanics. I have no problems seing fighters with B9S-like manoeuvres fighting in the countless skirmishes, battles, wars, or wizards that can draw from the weave more often.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
d10 said:
I perfectly OK with The Realms being the so-called "default" setting for D&D, just not in it's current state. I'd very much like to see some classic Realms hero characters fall, it's really time for that setting to be shaken up and have some new lore injected into IMO.

I don't see that. Why would they have to do away with the old heroes? Most of the novels I have read and are reading many books with new heroes in it, and none necessitated them killing an old one and bathing in his blood.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Uzzy said:
Over on Candlekeep, the author of Grand History of the Realms, Brian R James, is reporting this.

They're jumping 10 years ahead? I guess they want a clean start without any loose ends. Whatever the shadovar are pulling off right now will be done, the aftermath of the reclamation of Myth Drannor will be over, the civil war in Thay will be resolved.

I have the premonition that the Realms will see a couple of quite years - which will come to an end around 1385.

carmachu

Adventurer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
It seems like Greyhawk now longer being the default setting, along with the "One setting a year" comment might just mean we finally get a Greyhawk setting book.

How the hell could it be a default setting when freaking WotC never DID anything useful with it? Beyond the core book gods.....

I have to echo someone's setiments it would be nice to see something USEFUL done with GreyHawk for once...

Calico_Jack73

First Post
When 3E launched WOTC said that Greyhawk was going to be "THE SETTING" for D&D and we saw how that worked out. As far as the Forgotten Realms being the primary 4E setting... I'll believe it when I see it.

crossfirecreek

First Post
I think that it is fitting to have the FR be kind of the Launch Campaign Setting for 4E.

FR was the setting that really launched with 2nd Edition. They attributed all the changes in the game to the aftermath of the Time of Troubles, which made the transition somewhat more palatable. I think advancing the Realms time line by a decade will serve the same functions.

Remove ads