• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions

Interesting read, my mind is swirling with possibilities. :cool:

If "Alechtus" is indeed a returned foe which would be pretty nifty hook, it would have to be a really old foe for "Alechtus" to create a situation that would make the party seek him out. Plus at this point how many PCs would he even recognize? 1, maybe none?

I saw you referenced a Divinity Spark, do you have the Dead God's book by Malhavoc? Good stuff in there I used a Divinity Spark and a Divinity Well in my campaign (it's coming up, one of the PCs absorbs it) :D

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
Interesting read, my mind is swirling with possibilities. :cool:

I'm glad you approve. :)

If "Alechtus" is indeed a returned foe which would be pretty nifty hook, it would have to be a really old foe for "Alechtus" to create a situation that would make the party seek him out. Plus at this point how many PCs would he even recognize? 1, maybe none?

Well that's the problem, isn't it? Ixin was the last PC to have actually met "Alechtus" and he killed her.

I saw you referenced a Divinity Spark, do you have the Dead God's book by Malhavoc? Good stuff in there

Yep. That's the one. It's the best of the "event books", IMO.

I used a Divinity Spark and a Divinity Well in my campaign (it's coming up, one of the PCs absorbs it) :D

I can hardly wait!

Kristeneve

First Post
I find it highly interesting, HM, that one of your PC's absorbed a divinity spark. We had a rather lengthy out of character discussion about who would get to do just such a thing in this campaign. The tension was pretty high at the time...of course it has been a lot these days. I'd like to read how it turns out for your player. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Kristeneve said:
I find it highly interesting, HM, that one of your PC's absorbed a divinity spark. We had a rather lengthy out of character discussion about who would get to do just such a thing in this campaign. The tension was pretty high at the time...of course it has been a lot these days. I'd like to read how it turns out for your player. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The story is here I can't give you an approximate number of posts until the absorbtion occurs, but it doesn't quite occur like your game.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #433] A Night Off

"Cool!" Huzair remarked, his excitement showing through his world-weary facade as he shouldered his way passed Ayremac to climb inside the wagon. "An extra-dimensional space, just like on the Mercane vessel!" Dr. Akerman looked up at that, surprised.

"I purchased this Manor Wagon from a Mercane just last year," he said, drying his hand on his cloak.

"Are you a wizard?" Huzair asked and the Doctor nodded, prompting a wide grin. "Do you have any scrolls or spell books to trade?"

Outside, Shamalin and Morier peered around Ayremac at the extra-dimensional space. "This could easily be a trap," the cleric mutterred softly, hesitating at the entry. Then she shrugged, shouldering past the others to follow Huzair. "I wonder if he has a bath in there?" she considered as she went.

Stepping into Doctor Akerman's estate took Shamalin's breath away. It was a place of beauty and peace, in stark contrast to the world they had just left. The soothing sounds of running water combined wondrously with the warm glow of light in the heavens. Shamalin felt suddenly invigorated, as if responsibility and experience could be lifted and blown away like leaves in the warm air. She found herself grinning childishly. Huzair smirked in return, but she could sense that even he was impressed.

Morier looked at Ayremac. "She's right," he said. "This could be a trap set for us by any one of our many enemies." Ayremac grinned at Morier.

"Living life's about taking chances," he said, tucking his wings to enter the wagon. The albino grimaced after the holy warrior's retreating form.

"What about you two?" the eldritch warrior asked, turning to regard Anania and Ahlear.

"I believe that I will stay here," the elf maid replied, clutching her bow with both hands. "I will keep watch for a time. And I am more comfortable taking my rest in the natural world than I would be in such an unnatural one."

Ahlear got up and grabbed his saddle, negotiating it onto his shoulder before walking over to the wagon. His eyes were in perpetual motion, scanning the surroundings for any sign of trouble as he walked. He stepped up to the wagon and looked inside, treating the inner space to the same visual inspection, his pipe clenched firmly in his teeth. He reached down to lift Nibble into the space and then slowly and deliberately stepped in behind his animal companion. Looking around at the massive interior space he mumbled, "Show off."

Reluctantly, Morier climbed in after and closed the door, sealing out the harsh tundra with a final click of a closing latch.

Huzair immediately sniffed the air. "Who's smoking?" he asked before spotting Ahlear wreathed in a blue-grey cloud. "Oh. A pipe," he said, deflated as the druid walked toward him. Ahlear produced a big, fat cigar from the saddlebag hanging down across his torso and handed it to Huzair. The wizard's face split into a big grin at the sight and he accepted it greedily, raising it at once to his nose.

"OOOH... this is a nice one!" Huzair said, sniffing the cigar.

"Enjoy it," Ahlear replied, puffing on his pipe as he watched the mage's thrilled expression.

"Thanks," Huzair replied. "But this doesn't change the fact that Anania is still my little flower." Again, Ahlear snorted at the wizard's assertion.

"She is not your flower, Huzair. For as much as you would wish any woman on this earth to be yours, she is the least," Ahlear said, casting a glance at Morier. "She has taken fellowship blindly and I detest blind followers." Huzair sighed.

"Bahhh," he commented, favoring Ahlear with a playful wink. "Dr. Akerman, do you have a Silence spell by chance? I would pay handsomely!" He grinned broadly, clenching the cigar in his teeth. Akerman arched an eyebrow at the two and spread his arms.

"Such could be arranged, I'm sure. But for now, I would suggest that you wait to light that. Dinner will be served within the hour," he said, his arms spread unnaturally. "Attend me!"

At the mage's utterance there was a strange movement in the air, and his cloak and hat lifted from him by some unseen means. They hovered beside him, the cloak neatly folding itself as he grinned at the group.

"How?" Shamalin started to ask but Huzair answered her quickly.

"Unseen Servant," he said confidently before looking to Akerman for confirmation. "Am I right?"

"Servant Horde, actually," the Doctor answered. "If you've mastered the Third Circle, I can probably arrange for you to scribe the spell. Meantime, I'll assign a Servant to each of you. They'll show you to your quarters and where to find the garderobe, the bathhouse, and the dining hall when the meal is prepared."

"IF I have mastered the Third Circle?" Huzair groused under his breath. "What do I look like: Morier?!"

"I don't think that we need to waste any more of your-" Morier started, but the others were already availing themselves of Akerman's hospitality. As invisible hands lifted his cloak from his shoulders, he cursed this further delay.

When their meal was over and Unseen Servants were bringing the after-dinner wine around, Ayremac wiped once more at his lips and stood. Doctor Akerman and Huzair had been discussing the esoteric minutia of arcane theory, but the conversation died as the holy warrior got to his feet.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said. "I think I am going to do some aerial scouting and see if I can find a camp fire or something where Alechtus may be hiding."

"Are you sure?" Akerman said. "It's cold out there and we'll have some fine dessert after the wine."

"I appreciate it, but the cold doesn't bother me that much," Ayremac admitted. Thanks to his Celestial blood the weather on the tundra didn't bother him at all. "Shamalin... Huzair... well, Dr. Akerman as well, I suppose... Would any of you have any spells that would help me? An Eagle Eye, or Detect Supernatural, God-Carrying Bad Guy spells?" he smirked at his own joke.

"How about I send Sparky with you?" Huzair suggested. "You know, so you do not just find the guy and take all the glory for yourself." Ayremac scoffed at that suggestion.

"My intention is to go for an hour or so, starting quite high and looking for signs of a fire," he explained. "Nothing more."

"That's good, holy warrior," Dr. Akerman said, taking a small sip of his wine. "Alechtus is not someone to be confronted lightly... as the string of bodies he leaves in his wake can surely attest."

"Here is the Ring of Invisibility," Huzair said, placing the band in Sparky's feet. The hummingbird flew it over and dropped it into Ayremac's hand. "Do not let him see you," Huzair told the Officer of Umba meaningfully.

"Thank you," Ayremac said and turned to exit the dining hall. Ahlear raised a hand to forestall him.

"Ayremac, do be careful," the druid said in a soft, kind tone. "Although we might not agree, fly safe." Ayremac studied him skeptically, but sensing no hidden motive he nodded.

"Thank you," he said again and left the chamber.

With the wine flowing freely, it took only a short time for the conversation to resume, and after a little while, Shamalin found herself bold enough to mention the harp. It sat on a podium at the end of the hallway adjacent to the dining room. She had noticed it initially, but with Ayremac gone it suddenly seemed to glow more intensely in her eyes. In response to her query, Doctor Akerman pushed his chair back. Intrigued, Shamalin watched as he dotted his face one final time with his napkin before making his way toward the hallway. Morier cleared his throat trying to catch their attention, but Shamalin pointedly ignored him. A moment later Akerman returned and settled back in his chair with the harp in his lap. He plucked a few chords experimentally and the pure tones echoed throughout the room. Then he turned directly to Shamalin and asked, "Will you accompany me?"

It had been such a long time since she had been inclined to sing. Lifetimes. But given the warm bath, and dinner, and a break in the tension between them all - at least for the moment - she couldn't refuse. Perhaps it was time. And so she added her voice to the sweet and simple melody of Akerman's ballad. And like so many times in the past, as she sang, something changed within her. The magical art of healing bequeathed by the Goddess of Mercy, encouraged by this stranger, entwined with the music. And with each note it converged in the very core of her being, beginning in some small way to soothe that which was broken.

She held the final note of the song until the echoing chords of the harp died away. The room was still. Taking a deep breath, she nodded slowly at the Doctor and whispered, "Thank you."

He inclined his head politely and acknowledged with a warm smile, "You're welcome. Now let's have dessert!"

"This reminds me of a poem," Shamalin said later after they had retired to Doctor Akerman's library. She pulled a rolled sheet of parchment from her robes where she'd hidden it after her bath, hoping to be able to ask Akerman about it at some point. Uncurling it she read:

"As with plague the world becomes stained,
Slaying the righteous of Light slowly waned,
Seek then to free Her, a goddess unchained."

"To seal the fate of the Black Queen's doom,
First free Beast's twin from Her cold prison tomb,
To spill salvation from Her fruitful womb."

Akerman grimaced. "Ah, cryptic poetry. Why does every bit of so-called prophecy have to be in cryptic poetry?" he mused. "I assume that you already have a theory about the interpretation of this bit of verse, so let me give you my opinion and we'll see how the two compare, eh?" He held out his hand and Shamalin gave him the scroll that Ledare had penned some moonsdances past. Akerman adjusted his spectacles and studied the parchment critically.

After a few moments he spoke.

"Well, this first bit about plague certainly seems current," he began. "There are several diseases ravaging settlements from here to Haven, unchecked by either mundane or divine healing. This line about Light slowly waning seems to refer not to illumination, but rather to an individual. See how it's capitalized, like a proper name. Perhaps it refers to Orin, the Lord of Light, or his consort, Shaharizod, who's Mirrors light the dark night. Of course, it could even refer to your own patron, as well, Mercybringer; she is known as the White Lady, after all."

"I thought that might be the case," Shamalin said with a nod. Akerman regarded her over the tops of his glasses.

"Yes. I thought you might," he agreed before returning to the parchment."The last line, tells us something about who wrote the prophecy, yes? See how the pronoun 'her' is capitalized? That sort of thing is typically reserved for when a believer is writing about his patron deity. So, we can assume that whoever wrote this was a druid."

"How do you come to that conclusion?" Huzair asked from across the room. He had a goblet of wine in one hand, a smoking cigar in the other and a massive tome spread across his lap. His face bore a languid grin that spoke volumes about his mental state at the moment.

"Who but one of the druidic faiths, would so revere Dridana as it capitalize a pronoun used to denote her?" Akerman explained and Shamalin leaned forward.

"Why do you mention Dridana?" she asked and the doctor shook the parchment a bit in response.

"Because of this," he said. "It mentions freeing Beast's twin. Who else could it be but the Animal Lord, Brogine's sister, Dridana? And I'd say that trapped as she is between existence and death certainly qualifies as both a prison and a tomb, wouldn't you?" Shamalin's expression brightened further.

"So, you're familiar with Dridana?" she asked and Akerman nodded.

"What sort of a scholar of dead gods would I be if I didn't know about Dridana?" Akerman asked and handed the parchment back to Shamalin. "The Memento Mori have an entire vault dedicated to She Who is All in the Sepulcher of Heaven. But the general consensus is that she's not really dead. At least not in the same way that Rhianne is. Her spirit has been separated from her body, but there's no loosed divinity."

"But her body is on the astral plane," Huzair observed. "Is that not what happens to gods who die?" Akerman raised an eyebrow at the wizard; his expression was impressed.

"Indeed it is," Akerman told them. "Though there are not many outside of Memento Mori who know of the God Islands' existence."

"Have you ever been there?" Huzair asked.

"I have," the doctor admitted. "We journey to the Astral from time to time in order to harvest godsblood or god flesh. It's difficult and dangerous business going there."

"The Buommans give you access to the God Islands?" Huzair asked and Doctor Akerman's face clouded over.

"No," he said flatly. "They and their whole Cabal of the Dirge are a constant thorn in Memento Mori's side, trying to keep others from accessing the dead gods on which they themselves have built their cities. As if that was somehow noble and we were desecrators." Doctor Akerman took a long pull off his wine glass, throat working as he drank deeply.

"What would happen if this spark were reunited with the dead body on the Astral?" Huzair asked and Akerman's face softened. He tugged at his goatee.

"An interesting question, young man, and one to which no one yet has a definitive answer" he said. A light had been kindled in the wizard's eyes. "But it's just because of questions like that that I pursue this subject matter. All existing theories tend to indicate that nothing would happen and I am inclined to agree." Morier frowned.

"So reuniting the Divine Spark in Alechtus with the body that spawned it wouldn't bring the goddess back to life?" the albino asked, entering the conversation for the first time. Akerman chuckled and turned in his chair to look at the eldritch warrior.

"Do you suppose that Alechtus is somehow housing the whole of Rhianne's spirit, elf?" he laughed. "That would make him her avatar, would it not? It would also likely burn out his body in short order. When a god is slain the corpus dei releases up to 40 of these Divinity Sparks. Alechtus houses one or perhaps two of the Sparks at the most."

"What happened to the rest of them?" Shamalin asked and Akerman shrugged.

"Who knows? Many Sparks simply disappear immediately onto the Astral Plane. Others are absorbed by creatures nearby. Others are harvested by collectors such as myself," he explained. "No one knows for certain how many Sparks Rhianne released upon her death, but it is known that the founder of Memento Mori, Brypur Vutha-isk, managed to harvest ten of them. He worked for a time with a dwarven weaponsmith, Brumar Marnakfarlan, to create a succession of magic weapons powered by Divinity Sparks until he eventually learned how to absorb multiple Sparks into himself. He attained near divine status as a result; he's a great role model for us all."

"Is that what you plan to do, Doctor?" Ayremac asked from the doorway. "Absorb the Spark in Alechtus and become some sort of demi-god?" Akerman stood and faced the doorway that led out onto the courtyard.

"Ah, you're back," he said. "I'm afraid that you missed dessert. Was there any sign of Alechtus?" Ayremac looked hard at the doctor, snow melting off his armor.

"No. Visibility was terrible," he said. "I saw no camp fires, but I did see a town a bit north along the road. He could easily be there."

Where was Ahlear during the good Dr.'s speech on Dridana? I would think he'd have a poignant observation for the Dr. or at least a strong opinion on the matter.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
Where was Ahlear during the good Dr.'s speech on Dridana? I would think he'd have a poignant observation for the Dr. or at least a strong opinion on the matter.

Don't worry. Ahlear has no shortage of strong opinions. :)

I think that at this point he was trying to "go with the flow" after his earlier dressing down by Morier.

And in re-reading what went on at this point in the campaign, I think this may well have been the best RPing the group did, especially Ayremac's player who really isn't a particularly religious guy. He stepped up to voice the holy warrior's complaints.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #434] Dogma

"So, what do we do?" Ayremac asked, looking pointedly at Morier. The albino, who had been pacing like a caged tiger at the back of the library looked up and sighed.

"If the town where Alechtus is hiding out is more than a day's travel, then we need to get back on the trail to following the Pull," he said flatly, making a gesture with his hand that suggested he would accept no argument on the matter - not that that sort of thing ever stopped anyone from arguing.

"It's not that far, I don't think," Ayremac said, shaking off with a clatter the last of the snowmelt from his armor.

"You're correct, holy warrior," Doctor Akerman said, settling himself back into his chair. "Colybury's where I had just come from when I met you. It's undoubtedly where Alechtus doubled back on his trail. If we leave early - say, by dawn - we can be there before midday." Morier nodded at this.

"Well, then, if we can conceivably get there in half a day or less then let's go check it out," the eldritch warrior said, anxiously. "Let's press on!" Huzair raised his cigar in a salute.

"Let us do it!" he cheered. "We could get supplies too." Morier nodded in agreement at this.

"Wait. Don't we need a better plan than that?" Shamalin interjected. "If Alechtus is as powerful as Doctor Akerman tells us, then he's probably got a fairly substantial resistance to spells. How can we effectively counter that?"

"Attack from afar," Huzair said simply. "How about you stay back, Morier. You do not want to get hurt." The wizard smirked at this. "Try some spells. Show us what the heck Ap-Llewelyn has taught you all these years."

Ignoring the resumption of verbal sparring between Huzair and Morier, Shamalin turned to Doctor Akerman and said, "I think Alechtus has a magic sword powered by a Divinity Spark," Looking up at Ayremac she added, "That's what the boy back at the keep must have been referring to." Ayremac nodded, but Akerman shook his head.

"No, lass, but a good guess," the mage told her. "The samsara sword was anointed in godsblood. The aura is unmistakable." Ayremac scowled at that.

"Doctor Akerman, I mean no disrespect, but as a man with a spiritual foundation, I have to ask what your feelings are on the use of divine engery to 'fuel' weapons... or even people?" the holy warrior asked and Doctor Akerman nodded, sighing.

"I wondered how long it would be before you asked," the wizard admitted. "My feelings on the matter are based firmly within my own curiosity, but that is largely immaterial, isn't it? What matters is the knowledge that can be gained from taking, studying and using the corpus dei to the betterment of we mortals." Akerman stared at Ayremac, as if challenging him to disagree.

"Okay, I can see that there are benefits. I understand that. But just because it is beneficial does not make it right," Ayremac countered, but it was clear that he was unconvinced of his own argument. It seemed obvious to the Officer of Umba that Doctor Akerman had his own agenda. And as a seeker of knowledge, not a seeker of divinity, his own agenda would certainly be tainted with greed, the corruption of power, or even the fear of death. He did represent a valuable resource though, and had not shown himself to be evil. In fact the opposite was true; he had been nothing but hospitable, friendly, and giving of his own knowledge. Ayremac frowned and pressed on.

"I struggle with an appropriate example, but it seems in some ways, similar to cannabilism... don't you think?" the half-celestial suggested. "I mean, to feast on the power of gods. That has to strike you in some way as... wrong?"

Akerman sighed and crossed his arms. "Cannibalism," he harrumphed. "This is a common argument, holy warrior, but one which holds up poorly under more than casual scrutiny. Tell me, where do these deities get their power?"

"I am but a young pup in the study of divinity," Ayremac admitted. " I have always believed, or been lead to believe, that a God's power was absolute and eternal."

"A god's power absolute?" Akerman chuckled. "Surely not! Without question their power is tremendous and nearly limitless from our perspective. They are to us as we are to the humble ant, but even so they must abide by the laws of the multi-verse. And neither are they eternal in the strictest sense. Followers or a god - true believers such as yourself - are like wood to the fire of a deity's power," he explained as he rummaged through a pile of books on the table beside him. "And like a fire if you add more wood, the flames burn brighter and hotter, but if you deprive the fire of wood, it has no fuel and soon burns itself out." Shamalin leaned forward in her chair suddenly.

"Could this, then, be part of Aphyx's plan?" the Mercybringer put forth. "Hasn't she been targeting the followers of Flor?" The wizard shrugged.

"If the Rot Queen is making a bid for greater power, then that would be a clever way to begin," Akerman nodded. "By weakening her enemies' follower base, she makes her enemies less powerful and less capable of opposing her. I seem to remember her using a similar ploy before the founding Pellham when the lands hereabout were claimed by the Witch King of Erlacor. I'm sure I've got a scroll around here somewhere. But first..." He drew forth a slim volume bound in blue leather. "It has not yet happened on Orune, but in my travels I have uncovered evidence of gods who have died because their base of followers has dwindled." He handed Ayremac the book, entitled 'Deities & Demigods'.

"Read this," he said, "It's a First Edition. It explains the relationship between a god's power and the numbers of that god's devotees." Ayremac looked at the cover which bore the image of a strange figure wrestling in the heavens with a winged serpent while two other, much smaller figures clashed on the ground below. He looked back up as the Doctor began speaking again.

"If then you can accept that gods get their power from mortals, is it so wrong for mortals to retrieve some of that power after the god's demise? I think not!" Akerman asserted and wove his fingers together to illustrate his point. "It is a symbiotic relationship with each side in its turn benefiting from the other." He then cocked a thumb in Ahlear's direction adding, "Ask the druid to explain the concept of interdependency to you and then see if you still think what I do to be cannibalism."

The Holy Warrior glanced over at Ahlear who drew his pipe from his lips long enough to mutter, "Cила к друидам."

"Maybe another time," the holy warrior replied, turning back to Akerman. "You have piqued my interest though. That is a very interesting concept. Are you suggesting that a God could then be created by belief alone? I mean... this seems like the dragon and egg debate." The Doctor nodded his understanding and Ayremac cracked open the book that he'd been given. It was filled with columns of text and strange formulae that made little sense to him.

"Belief in a power is not enough to grant that power divine rank, but surely it is a necessary part of the process. The Divinity Sparks are the other part," Akerman went on. "To continue my fire analogy, if faith - belief in the god's divinity - is the wood that keeps the fire going, Divinity Sparks are the flint and steel that starts the process. According to my research, even a god who has lost all of their followers releases Divinity Sparks upon their death. They seem to be the thing that separates true deities from the arch-demons who claim cults numbering in the thousands but lack godhood."

"So, let me ask: is there a way to identify a divinity spark, I mean, the God that it belonged to?" the Officer of Umba asked, tearing himself away from the arcane tome and the wizard shook his head.

"Not as such, no," Akerman admitted. "I have access to magic that can Detect the presence of Divinity Sparks, but have never researched the means to determine from which deity a given Spark might originate. Of course, that's not really an issue since the Spark must come from Rhianne; there's simply no other source on Orune." He pondered for a moment, drawing into himself before continuing.

"Actually, certain members of Memento Mori have developed a process whereby they can create artificial Divinity Sparks from loosed divinity," he told them. "But the resulting Spark is weaker than the real thing by an order of magnitude, useful for little more than a spell focus. And it requires a trip to the astral plane and a confrontation with those damned Buommans!" He grimaced and wrapped his arms around himself in his chair, looking a bit like a petulant child as he glowered into the middle-distance of memory. "Artificial Sparks are easy to distinguish from the real thing, and I would be willing to bet my spellbook that Alechtus is infused with a true Spark."

"It sounds more like a kind of reincarnation - perpetuating divine essence," Shamalin breathed, her eyes unfocused as she pondered the ramifications of what Akerman was suggesting.

"Reincarnation. I like that word much better than cannibalism," the Doctor said with a chuckle. "And truly, there have been cases documented whereby a Divinity Spark was used to bring a mortal back from the dead, wholly and immediately merely by causing it to be absorbed into a corpse. They have truly miraculous powers." Shamalin nodded at this.

"Doctor Akerman, once the sparks are released, are they free to be found by anyone?" she asked. "What is to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands?

"Yes, as you suppose, it is fully possible for anyone to discover a Divinity Spark's presence, given the proper knowledge," he said. "Fortunately, there are few on Orune who possess the knowledge of Divinity Sparks and fewer still with the knowledge of how to capture them. That is perhaps their greatest defense - that and their scarcity, of course."

Ayremac closed the blue book and handed it back to the mage. "Doctor Akerman, I can respect what you're saying. It may take time for me to actually believe it... further still to accept it, but I do respect it. Would you be able tell me what you know of Celestials and their heritage?" He flexed his wings, ruffling their damp feathers. "It is, obviously, a topic I am interested to learn more about."

"Well, lad, celestials are not my area of expertise," Akerman said, tugging at his goatee. "They are, even the most powerful among them, the end result of virtuous souls who have been judged well by Umba and passed through Myrkhul's realms and thence to the Upper Planes. They are not deities, nor do they seek to become such; humbly pointing mortals toward the worship of the true gods rather than accepting cults in their own honor."

"I have spent time meditating, praying really, on my heritage and trying to become more in tune with my Celestial blood and history," the Officer of Umba told him. "It's almost invigorating... or empowering... or something."

"I have an incomplete copy of 'The Book of Exalted Deeds' around here somewhere if you're interested," Akerman told him, scanning the nearby shelves. "There's a fair bit of information in there regarding the nature of Celestials and their place in the hierarchy of the the Upper Planes. It's pretty flowery stuff - all about Vows of Poverty, and such - but you might like it." He eyed Ayremac's wings over the tops of his spectacles as he said this and the holy warrior sensed that he was being teased a little by the man. He smiled at him nonetheless.

"I would love to look at it Doctor Akerman," he said, nodding his head. "I have to admit, my recent study and medition into my heritage has me more and more interested in learning all that I can... I feel I have only but begun to tap into the strengths and joys that are granted me by this Celestial blood." Akerman sighed and hoisted himself out of the chair.

"Why did I know you were going to say that?" he muttered as he started toward the rear of the chamber. "Give me a moment to find it for you." Huzair watched the man go and when he considered Akerman to be out of earshot, he beckoned Morier closer.

"Morier, I think it could really provide some great information if I tell him about my trip to the astral plane. Please, I think it is in our party's best interest to get all the info we can from the good doctor," the wizard said then he shook his head. "Wait! Why am I being cordial? Damn it, I want to tell him. I am wasting sweet talk on you when I could be using it on Anania." He grinned up at the albino. "Do you think I have made an impression on her yet?" The eldritch warrior pointedly ignored Huzair's question when he replied.

"At first thought, this guy seemed like he could be useful and that perhaps we should invite him to join us longterm," Morier admitted in a hushed voice, his eyes flashing to where the mage was on a ladder pulling down a book bound in goldleaf. "The more I think about what he has to say, I'm not so sure. This needs more thought."

"But he has so much I can learn from him and we could... Damn it! I hate it when you are right! Perhaps this is an unsavory practice," Huzair grumbled. "I do not think it would be wise to confront him too harshly on this issue since he is our host though. Keep Ayremac in quiet about this. We do not need a self-righteous speech. Oh yeah, can I still tell him about my trip to the astral plane? I so want to tell him.... if not I may have to tell him how I found you in the woods." Huzair punctuated that remark with an elbow to Morier's gut as the wizard chewed on his cigar and chuckled. The eldritch warrior scowled down at him.

"Not a word about the swords," he cautioned then stepped back as Doctor Akerman came back to the front of the library with a glittering tome in his hands. He offered it to Ayremac.

"Here you go, lad," the wizard said and sank back into his chair. "It's missing a section on divine poisons, but I trust that you'll find what information you're interested in without that bit of nonsense anyway." As the holy warrior reverently opened the golden book and began leafing through its illuminated pages, Huzair cleared his throat to attract Akerman's attention.

"Doctor, I would like to tell you about a journey I had a few weeks ago. I was abducted to the astral plane by a strange creature and spent a few days there," Huzair told him. "Any idea what those things are?"

"The planescape is filled with esoteric creatures," the Doctor said. "It could be any number of things."

"We have these things just show up on us sometimes. My comrades fear it is my Ring of Blinking," Huzair explained. "I insist it is not. Tell them it is not, because they never believe anything I tell them."

"It is unlikely," Akerman said, looking around at each of the others as he said this. Huzair smirked, vindicated - at least in his own mind.

"They think I am an idiot and just fell off the turnip cart. I think it is because Morier cannot believe I have already passed his skills with my magic," Huzair suggested. "I am almost at the 4th Circle. I am so close I can taste it."

"Huzair, you were talking about the astral plane," Morier interrupted, steering the mage unsubtly back on task.

"Right! I met up with a mercane vessel owned by Ashaaf with his partners, Kraal and Destaan. I entered into a deal with them to tattoo them at a Githyanki outpost... oh, the name will come to me... Akiv-tchai! I knew I'd remember it!" Huzair said, snapping his fingers. "But any way, they mentioned that they would be able to help, perhaps. They had a good relation it appeared with the Githyanki. They seemed willing to do anything for the right price. I think they treated me well because they thought I was more powerful than I was... or was able to provide a service for them."

Earthday, the 9th of Readying, 1270 AE

The streets of Colybury were surprisingly empty for midday. It was bracingly cold, but the sun was shining brightly in the blue expanse above, shedding light and warmth on the thatched A-frame roofs of the buildings that lined the rutted street down which Doctor Akerman's wagon traveled. The drip-drip-drip of melting ice was everywhere, punctuated by the occasional muffled thump of snow sloughing off a building and into the street. They passed a row of three buildings that had been gutted by fire leaving little more than burnt-out shells, and several other buildings were stoutly boarded up - evidence that even this little village hadn't been untouched by the plague.

There were so few townsfolk to be seen that Doctor Akerman made open use of his staff, keeping the loupe pressed almost constantly to his eye. And so he was able to direct them through town, following a meandering trail that was invisible to everyone but him. After a time Huzair's voice spoke to Ayremac through the Ring of Communication, steering them to the Temple of Umba on the corner of King's Highway and Culedham Road. According to some folks that the mage had spoken to in a local establishment there'd been a disturbance at the chapel - the lock on the front door had been broken during the night. The sheriff and two of the town guard went inside to investigate a couple of hours ago, but they haven't come out yet.

-------------------------------

OOC - This and the last bit I posted rank among my favorites so far in the campaign. There's some deep RP-ing of philosophical issues that I find appealing. Of course, in the next post, philosophy takes a back seat when the swords start swinging.

Jon Potter said:
"So, what do we do?" Ayremac asked, looking pointedly at Morier. The albino, who had been pacing like a caged tiger at the back of the library looked up and sighed.

"If the town where Alechtus is hiding out is more than a day's travel, then we need to get back on the trail to following the Pull," he said flatly, making a gesture with his hand that suggested he would accept no argument on the matter - not that that sort of thing ever stopped anyone from arguing.

"It's not that far, I don't think," Ayremac said, shaking off with a clatter the last of the snowmelt from his armor.

"You're correct, holy warrior," Doctor Akerman said, settling himself back into his chair. "Colybury's where I had just come from when I met you. It's undoubtedly where Alechtus doubled back on his trail. If we leave early - say, by dawn - we can be there before midday." Morier nodded at this.

"Well, then, if we can conceivably get there in half a day or less then let's go check it out," the eldritch warrior said, anxiously. "Let's press on!" Huzair raised his cigar in a salute.

"Let us do it!" he cheered. "We could get supplies too." Morier nodded in agreement at this.

"Wait. Don't we need a better plan than that?" Shamalin interjected. "If Alechtus is as powerful as Doctor Akerman tells us, then he's probably got a fairly substantial resistance to spells. How can we effectively counter that?"

"Attack from afar," Huzair said simply. "How about you stay back, Morier. You do not want to get hurt." The wizard smirked at this. "Try some spells. Show us what the heck Ap-Llewelyn has taught you all these years."

What's gonna work? :D :D

Sorry couldn't resist.

Jon Potter said:
"Doctor Akerman, I mean no disrespect, but as a man with a spiritual foundation, I have to ask what your feelings are on the use of divine engery to 'fuel' weapons... or even people?" the holy warrior asked and Doctor Akerman nodded, sighing.

Exactly the question I was expecting.

I'm still wondering where Alhear was during this exchange even more so. Given human nature I'm inclinded to believe he agrees with Ayremac, otherwise I'd expect him to "blow up" at the doctor.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
What's gonna work? :D :D

Sorry couldn't resist.

I knew what I was going to see before I clicked the link. You have successfully used Detect Parent on me and received a positive result.

I'm still wondering where Alhear was during this exchange even more so. Given human nature I'm inclinded to believe he agrees with Ayremac, otherwise I'd expect him to "blow up" at the doctor.

What? Ahlear... agrees... with Ayremac...

I'm afraid that doesn't compute with me.

Ahlear... agrees...

Nope. I don't get it. :D

Let's just say that the "good" Dr. gets a taste later on.

Remove ads